• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great article - Tyler Farrar's "whining"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
That and "amazing". Totally neutered words, now.

Plus, what I know of the family none of them would feel comfortable with a characterization of heroic. Sounds like journalistic hyperbole. Either way, the boy's not a whiner nor is his Dad or Mom.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
That and "amazing". Totally neutered words, now.

please add "Actually,.." to that list for me.

Re Tyler... I don't see him as a whiner. I think he has an American way of expressing himself. It, in its true text, I have read his reactions and thought he was coming off sour but not quite whining. We lose quite a bit of expression, tone, humor and emotion in the printed word, and often cycling journalists are dreadful sniffers of the chamois. Go find some old interviews with Davis Phinney, who I hold to be Tyler's trailblazer. He comes of sour, whiney, but also funny and endearing after you "hear" him be interviewed, not just the written word.

Tyler sprints among some of the fastest ever, and wins a share. I'd have liked to have seen him on a gear against an in-form Zabel.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Farrar:whiner. I think he has an American way of expressing himself.

How true. So typical of a unique American philosophy which I noticed during theCheney/ Bush administration. We based our philosphy on the fear of terrorists. Our country was led by leaders who based leadership on fear.

Fear of the enemy. Now with Farrar it is fear of other riders.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Farrar:whiner. I think he has an American way of expressing himself.

How true. So typical of a unique American philosophy which I noticed during theCheney/ Bush administration. We based our philosphy on the fear of terrorists. Our country was led by leaders who based leadership on fear.

Fear of the enemy. Now with Farrar it is fear of other riders.

Pretty big stretch of logic based on no evidence. You've never been in a sprint with elbows in your face and wheel chopping at 40 mph to know the difference between survival and measured risk. Time off the bike recovering from injuries=no wins. Every marquee rider knows this and is why you'll see sprinters chastising GC riders for "mucking up" field sprints or protesting when someone knowingly takes them into the barriers.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Pretty big stretch of logic based on no evidence. You've never been in a sprint with elbows in your face and wheel chopping at 40 mph to know the difference between survival and measured risk. Time off the bike recovering from injuries=no wins. Every marquee rider knows this and is why you'll see sprinters chastising GC riders for "mucking up" field sprints or protesting when someone knowingly takes them into the barriers.
Did Tyler and Petachi file formal protests to the officials? that I do not know.
Sorry I did not see Tyler Farrar or Petacchi get chopped into the barriers in the Tirreno/Adriatico. Some people on this forum compared the EBH sprint to a sprint in the Tour of Turkey. The rider there intentially pushed a sprinter into the barriers and caused serious injury to the other rider.

I do not advocate chopping grabbing other riders pushing them off the road etc.

I thought that Farararr had ridden a lot in Belgium and knew how to handle any situation. If he has issue with other riders his team needs to stand up for him. Fararr need not whine to the press. I am sick of crybabies in cycling. On the other hand I see your point as team Sky is making no friends.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Did Tyler and Petachi file formal protests to the officials? that I do not know.
Sorry I did not see Tyler Farrar or Petacchi get chopped into the barriers in the Tirreno/Adriatico. Some people on this forum compared the EBH sprint to a sprint in the Tour of Turkey. The rider there intentially pushed a sprinter into the barriers and caused serious injury to the other rider.

I thought that Farararr had ridden a lot in Belgium and knew how to handle any situation. If he has issue with other riders his team needs to stand up for him. Fararr need not whine to the press. I am sick of crybabies in cycling. On the other hand I see your point as team Sky is making no friends.

The sprint was pretty obvious and the press new it; that's why he'd respond to a question. Farrar talked directly to the rider and that was the end of it as the officials weren't changing the results (no blood-no foul). From Ale-jet to Zabel that's the way it's handled.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

I have asked this already on this thread - can you provide a link to somewhere that Tyler has 'whined' to the press.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
The sprint was pretty obvious and the press new it; that's why he'd respond to a question. Farrar talked directly to the rider and that was the end of it as the officials weren't changing the results (no blood-no foul). From Ale-jet to Zabel that's the way it's handled.

If Farar spoke directly to the dangerous rider and then to his DS/TEAM thats the end of it. Team director can straighten out problem with other director.

In that case I am wrong, Tyler is protecting himself and therefore is not a whiner.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I have asked this already on this thread - can you provide a link to somewhere that Tyler has 'whined' to the press.

Sorry I am mis- imformed. I should have read the whole story instead of reacting to the thread. Sorry I am wrong.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Sorry I am mis- imformed. I should have read the whole story instead of reacting to the thread. Sorry I am wrong.

It's easy to misinterpret what the "press" produces, particularly when they seem to be generating an issue where nothing serious exists. See the Greipel thread for the same theme. It's sports and they have to write something...

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
This is one of the strangest threads I have read on this site. So many opinions without so much as one reference to facts in support of these claims. Flicker, you sure post some strange material, you bounce around a topic like Robbie McEwen bounces from wheel to wheel in the lead-up to a sprint. Highly entertaining, but I scratch my head a lot when I read your posts.

Nice article, Ed Farrar sounds like a very driven person. There's a lot to admire about his response to his devastating injury.