• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great Innovations in Cycling (Presented by Sky)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 8, 2009
Visit site
richtea said:
It really isn't. Figures are produced annually in the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, sponsored by the Office for National Statistics. £42k is definitely incorrect, its in the region of £26-28k, although obviously much higher in London.

The mean of 26-28k is also significantly higher than the median salary of about 20k. #offtopic

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
doolols said:
. . .
Wiggins is not like Armstrong. Wiggins does not climb like Contador, as someone else said. Whoever thinks that hasn't been watching cycling. Wiggins comes from a track background, team pursuit, that sort of thing, where the ability to set a pace and vary that pace slightly brings success. Because he was good at it. Lots of Olympic and championship medals show that.

So, can we say that he should be a good time trialler. It's what he doesn, it's the way he rides.

So, the climbing. How does he climb - off the front like Contador, Armstrong, Ricco? No, he sticks behind his team mates, they do the work for him, mostly, and they stick to a set pace. When Froome lights up and moves away, Wiggins has no answer. Once he had to come back because he was dragging Nibali with him away from Wiggins, and once because he thought it was the thing he should do (or Yates told him to).

What we saw in the tour would have been very different if Contador or A Schleck had been there. Sky would have had to leave Wiggins, because he had no reply.

So, in truth, although I see some similarities between Sky and US Postal, Sky only ever have 4 people in the team on the climb (Wiggins, Froome, Rogers, Porte). USPS used to have more.

Wiggins and Sky, if they are doping, are also not doing it to the limits that Lance etc carried it. They can't - they would have been caught already. That doesn't mean they have not found an extra 2% somewhere that isn't detectable yet. Like autologous blood doping - although I doubt they would use this method. My personal opinion, given people being people, is that whatever they did Wiggins etc could internally justify to themselves.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
diorgen said:
Didn't it come out that Lance was doing test mixed with olive oil and drinking it with an eyedropper
:D
That was the reference of the olive oil, correct. Testosterone administered via olive oil.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
. . .

4) Training hard all year with nary a break. . . .

Btw - I love the joke - but seriously - even though LA used this one - this could be one of the real things and not just an excuse. It IS one of the differences between tri-folk and cyclists. Tri-folk are notoriously obsessed with constant training, far more than cyclists. And, we did see regular examples of RL cyclists in the peloton who did not take training in the off-season as seriously as LA.

I am NOT trying to be an excuser here - but I think there must be things to learn here, if we can winnow out the dopage chaff.

Part of the problem with so much training, though, is that ordinary folk in ordinary circumstances can't maintain it. The mental bit is too hard to maintain. It could be a coach and a team and physical isolation that help to maintain the focus - or unusually devoted mindsets, In my experience, tri-folks seem to have that mindset.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Found an old item, seems the honourary Allen Lim already invented 'the marginal gains'.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009...bout-new-opportunities-and-challenges”_101797

Allen Lim said:
Lim, speaking with VeloNews Monday, added that his role with Lance Armstrong’s team was attractive both because it will be more focused on sports science and involve less travel.
Speaking by phone from RadioShack’s first team camp, which began Monday in Tucson, Arizona, Lim said his role with the ProTour team will continue the work he’s done at Garmin, “being innovative, using technology and thinking about how to create small marginal gains where we can, utilizing everything from hydration to aerodynamics to biomechanics. Basically figuring out how I can help using good old-fashioned science.”
Not even in an Olympic year.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Convert to Aussie dollars, simply multiply by 1.5. Way, way, way below the Aussie average.

Off-topic again, but you only get this result because the exchange rate has moved quite a lot over the past few years. As recently as 2009 you would multiply by 2.5 and find Aussie wages way below the UK average. These comparisons are basically meaningless without considering prices in any case.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
richtea said:
Off-topic again, but you only get this result because the exchange rate has moved quite a lot over the past few years. As recently as 2009 you would multiply by 2.5 and find Aussie wages way below the UK average. These comparisons are basically meaningless without considering prices in any case.

+1 cost of living must be included in the equation.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Found an old item, seems the honourary Allen Lim already invented 'the marginal gains'.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009...bout-new-opportunities-and-challenges”_101797

Not even in an Olympic year.

Not even close....

Posted: 4 December 2006

"Always pushing, trying to find those little marginal gains, if you aggregate them all together they’ll actually give you that performance enhancement."

http://roadcyclinguk.com/tech/tech-features/dave-brailsford-talks-to-rcuk.html

hiero2 said:
Wiggins and Sky, if they are doping, are also not doing it to the limits that Lance etc carried it. They can't - they would have been caught already.

You are assuming the UCI is an impartial anti-doping organization. At this point, we know:

The UCI tried to suppress the Contador positive.
The UCI suppressed a longitudinal positive from Armstrong in 2010 according to the USADA.
The UCI likely suppressed a straight-up Armstrong positive at the TdS many years ago.

The federation has a hand in picking winners. If you don't want to go that far, then they definitely are not impartial when it comes to anti-doping process.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
richtea said:
That report is about wealth (the value of assets and liabilities), not income. They aren't necessarily closely related (e.g. if you choose to consume a large share of your income you won't necessarily accumulate wealth).

Sure. It is all a bit open to debate and dependent of fluctuating factors like exchange rates.

And wealth or income are not reliable measures of financial health. But I think Australia currently have GB covered most ways you want to assess it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
CharacterFirst said:
Sure. It is all a bit open to debate and dependent of fluctuating factors like exchange rates.

And wealth or income are not reliable measures of financial health. But I think Australia currently have GB covered most ways you want to assess it.

We're not British for starters. ;)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Dr.Sahl said:
I like posters like you... you come in here and shoot everybody for seeing the obivous... then you go on with the same rabble thats been going on for ages.. "rabble rabble rabble.. never tested postive, nobody videotaped the act of guilt, rabble rabble rabble"

Next thing you will do is to call all fat and uneducated... then you will claim that no other team/riders had the same harrashment...... really... comeon... there is a reason for these threads and there is a reason why half my friends stopped watching pro cycling many many years ago. (a few of them came back, but they are gone after this year again)

I've seen many, really many good post with the evidence pointed more on guilty than innocent, but the vast majority is not "judging full" they are however suspisious and tries to get some proper answers from the "sky fans" but every single post I've made about certain indications, to why they seem dirty, nobody dares answer them or give a logical explanation, instead.. the call me fat, lazy and a witch hunter... (it seems I am only a witch hunter when its Sky rider I am after)

If you have no interest in joining the clinic and the suspision here, why are you even looking and posting ?? why not say at the road forum without doping talk... only people that deep down knowns doping is a huge part and problem in pro cycling is coming here, admit it or not.

Last... let people vent their anger abit, I think they deserved it due to this season... its looks like a new Dark Age...

Now if you really want to contribute to the clinic, ask some of the hard questions and remember to distinguish between some of the more funny threads here and the serious ones.

Haven't yet read the thread past the post quoted here, because it brings up a sore point with me, which is this: the criminals and gasbags running this sport are truly idiotic. Cycling should be twice as big as it is, or twice that. How many fans or potential fans have been run off by the obvious lack of authenticity in the competition, and cheating scandals of all kinds.

It just burns me up to see a beautiful sport ruined, year after year, and all its fans run off. That is all.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Haven't yet read the thread past the post quoted here, because it brings up a sore point with me, which is this: the criminals and gasbags running this sport are truly idiotic. Cycling should be twice as big as it is, or twice that. How many fans or potential fans have been run off by the obvious lack of authenticity in the competition, and cheating scandals of all kinds.

It just burns me up to see a beautiful sport ruined, year after year, and all its fans run off. That is all.

not so sure.

the problem I see is exactly that too few fans actually do run off.
fans massively running away from dirty cycling would be one effective way to bring about change.
but the ease with which guys of the likes of contador and vino are welcomed back by their sponsors tells it all. their faces continue to sell.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
CharacterFirst said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Of course, the Australian economy is in a more healthy state than GB: particularly thanks to endowments of mineral resources and high commodity prices over recent years (no doubt this has contributed to the Aussie $ appreciating against the £).

There was an interesting article in the Economist recently about global wealth, reflecting on a study that tried to measure wealth in terms of financial assets, human capital, and physical assets (including mineral resources). The study showed that Australia had gone backwards versus Europe over the last ten years due to the expansion of the mining sector: i.e. converting physical assets into income. So the current good times may not be sustainable unless the economy can refocus somewhat on the export of manufactured goods at some point in the future.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Dave brailsford is getting around the gene doping rules by getting the GB stars to produce offsprping :D

laura trott and jason kenny

Jason+Kenny+and+Laura+Trott+at+beach+volleyball+kissing+behind+David+Beckham+during+the+women's+England+v+Netherlands+hockey+match

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
richtea said:
Of course, the Australian economy is in a more healthy state than GB: particularly thanks to endowments of mineral resources and high commodity prices over recent years (no doubt this has contributed to the Aussie $ appreciating against the £).

There was an interesting article in the Economist recently about global wealth, reflecting on a study that tried to measure wealth in terms of financial assets, human capital, and physical assets (including mineral resources). The study showed that Australia had gone backwards versus Europe over the last ten years due to the expansion of the mining sector: i.e. converting physical assets into income. So the current good times may not be sustainable unless the economy can refocus somewhat on the export of manufactured goods at some point in the future.

Yeah maybe, maybe not. The current good times have been going for at least 200 years, 45,000 if you count pre-European times.

Australia is a big place with a lot of natural resources and a small population. It's not like the little European countries with big populations, or tiny cold and bleak islands like GB. There is still plenty of good stuff in the ground and sea in Oz.

They really only discovered the last lot of high quality, easily extracted, iron-ore providing the current boom 20-30 years ago. And it has 20-30 years in it at least. Aust' has 100s of years of coal, plenty of gold, diamonds, most of the uranium, stacks of natural gas, wind and sun and wave power to burn - it doesn't look too bad really.

Anyway, Australia has always ridden on the back of one boom or another, be it gold, the sheep or current mining. So far so good i think they would say.

The standard of living in Australia is brilliant. Oz regularly has multiple cities ranking in the top ten of all the "most livable" surveys, Melbourne usually tops those lists.

Australian manufacturing won't recover anytime soon as it just too expensive to manufacture in such a wealthy country. But it hasn't even had a recession while the rest of the world has plunged into the GFC.

America and Europe looked pretty rough compared to Australia at the present.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
the big ring said:
We're not British for starters. ;)

Sorry. I'm with you now. I didn't see the bolded.

This is a bit cliched now days, but it shows the difference and where our heart lies. :)

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
CharacterFirst said:
Sorry. I'm with you now. I didn't see the bolded.

You were low post count so I thought some slack was due - nice recovery :D

Daily Mail should get some work with OOC testing orgs. Talk about targeted testing. And photo evidence. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS