• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Great Vuelta pictures

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Oh, and love or hate the guy, this was awesome:

Screen+shot+2010-09-12+at+6.53.34+PM.png

This was awesome! :D

---

A comment under the video stated that officials were considering to DQ him... why?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Dietz-Bert-entra-primer-lugar-meta-Sierra-Nevada-seguido-Laurent-Jalabert-Vuelta-Ciclista-Espana-1995.jpg

One of my favourite moments in cycling.

Dietz and Jalabert ?

Libertine Seguros said:

Man I remember this, Taaramae really going hard from the bottom, I thought he had the stage in the bag. Until suddenly the camera zooming in on him struggling to stay on his bike!

Do you remember on what hill this was?

Michielveedeebee said:
Dietz and Jalabert ?
Yup.

Man I remember this, Taaramae really going hard from the bottom, I thought he had the stage in the bag. Until suddenly the camera zooming in on him struggling to stay on his bike!

Do you remember on what hill this was?

Yup. Xorret del Catí. It's only 4km long, but it feels like so much more. Nowhere to get into a rhythm, just constantly at Mur de Huy level.

vuelta8-xorret-del-cati.png

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Taaramae was classic.

I'm pretty sure I was on this forum lol'ing at the time.
Not that I don't respect the guy, it was actually a pretty epic scene.

Pretty sure that is where the evans V gesink showdown occurred also. :D

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Taaramae was classic.

I'm pretty sure I was on this forum lol'ing at the time.
Not that I don't respect the guy, it was actually a pretty epic scene.

Pretty sure that is where the evans V gesink showdown occurred also. :D

I remember arguing with people that day. "How can a climb of only 4km in length be a 1st category? The Vuelta's mountains classification is a joke!" "Wait til you actually see it, it's a cat.1 alright".

Anyway, another classic picture:

1_kashechkin_win.jpg

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I've been trying to find one of my favouites, but without success.

2004 Vuelta. Heras and Mancebo (I think) pulling away from Valverde on a climb. Close up of Valverde's back with Heras and Mancebo riding out of focus. Brilliant shot. Valverde's pain is almost palpable.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This one is from 1988. Robert Millar, Sean Kelly, Raimund Dietzen and Álvaro Pino climbing to Cerler ski resort.

1F4EBC929F234E4ACB3A254E4AC78B.jpg

Pre-race favorite Pino had lost 7 minutes in a cross-wind split earlier in the race. His teammate Cubino, who had won this same finish the previous year was the race leader but was unexpectedly dropped early in the climb. Another team mate of them who was among the first in the GC, Anselmo Fuerte, broke away. And Pino, who was by far the best climber in the race, didn't know what to do (no race radios then) until his silly DS asked him to go back with Cubino.

Fuerte would take the stage and the yellow jersey with a lead on Kelly that could not defend in the final ITT. The guy couldn't TT faster than Basso.

icefire said:
This one is from 1988. Robert Millar, Sean Kelly, Raimund Dietzen and Álvaro Pino climbing to Cerler ski resort.

1F4EBC929F234E4ACB3A254E4AC78B.jpg

Pre-race favorite Pino had lost 7 minutes in a cross-wind split earlier in the race. His teammate Cubino, who had won this same finish the previous year was the race leader but was unexpectedly dropped early in the climb. Another team mate of them who was among the first in the GC, Anselmo Fuerte, broke away. And Pino, who was by far the best climber in the race, didn't know what to do (no race radios then) until his silly DS asked him to go back with Cubino.

Fuerte would take the stage and the yellow jersey with a lead on Kelly that could not defend in the final ITT. The guy couldn't TT faster than Basso.

Lovely photo and rich in history, especially showing the 1988 season for the big transition in bike technology that it was (toe-clips vs. clipless pedals, fancy shoes vs. straight black shoes, exposed vs. routed brake cables, those artful Campag delta brakes, even the emergence of cyclo-computers!)

It's funny, but looking at his palmares now, I'm pleasantly surprised at just how respectable Cubino's whole-career performance was. In my memory, he was a flash in the pan, but I see that he did pretty well indeed.

That's why threads like these and posts like yours there are great. :)

greenedge said:
Definetly not the TV coverage from Eurosport

Well, in terms of pictures anyway and setting aside the ill-timed adverts, the actual footage is not their fault. :) Perhaps it's been said by others on the Vuelta threads already, but I have actually rather enjoyed the retro look of the bleached out yellows and ill-saturated blues that we've seen on this Vuelta. It's all very 1970s.

L'arriviste said:
Well, in terms of pictures anyway and setting aside the ill-timed adverts, the actual footage is not their fault. :) Perhaps it's been said by others on the Vuelta threads already, but I have actually rather enjoyed the retro look of the bleached out yellows and ill-saturated blues that we've seen on this Vuelta. It's all very 1970s.

Heh it's very retro indeed.
It's not just Eurosport btw. It's the same on all other channels. It's just Spanish fail :)