• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greatest rivalries!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Opponents make a rider great, and the wars they fought gave us many unforgetable memories!

What were the greatest cycling rivalries that shaped cycling history and the tactics that riders use today?

The most recent and until now the last great rivalry was between Lance and Ullrich... we all remember the thrils

Andy Schleck vs Contador and Greipel vs Cavendish rivalry is shaping up, but that is the future, Im interested in the past!

What were the most memorable rivalries you can recal?

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Bartali/Coppi. It literally divided a nation. It was said when they were riding you couldn't be a fan of both such was the intensity of the rivalry. Good thing we're 60 years removed. I like them both.....but Bartali, a little more...:p

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
Opponents make a rider great, and the wars they fought gave us many unforgetable memories!

What were the greatest cycling rivalries that shaped cycling history and the tactics that riders use today?

The most recent and until now the last great rivalry was between Lance and Ullrich... we all remember the thrils

Andy Schleck vs Contador and Greipel vs Cavendish rivalry is shaping up, but that is the future, Im interested in the past!

lemond/hinault ... ullrich/riis ... armstrong/contador

ed rader

A

Anonymous

Belokki said:

You versus intelligence.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:

Meh. Not really.
Other then last tour, they haven't really been too competitive against each other. And AC smoked him anyway. LA vs AC has been more of a rivalry really, only because some old geezer can't accept his time has past.

Evans vs the world has been an amazing rivalry to witness also. :rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Anquetil v Poulidor
Bartali vs Coppi
Merckx vs Ocana (sporting as well, with Merckx showing post-racing grace too)
ear pieces vs nostalgia

LA vs AC has been more of a rivalry really, only because some old geezer can't accept his time has past.

I can't think of a bigger non-rivalry than that. It takes two to tango. When one is "not bothad", nah.

Rivalry between Merckx and Ocaña only lasted for 6 days. The rest is a beatdown (Merckx - Zoetemelk, that was an absolute beatdown).

How many times, by the way, was Bartali real close to challenging Coppi? I have the feeling that this one was really overrated, as well.

Merckx - van Looy is a kid against an oldie. There were no great duel between the two in their prime.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
(sorry but that was my first reaction)

The best ever: Merckx - De Vlaeminck

true :) Well some more Merckx :p
Merckx - Van Looy
Merckx - De Vlaeminck
Merckx - Everyone at the '69 Tour ==> He kicked *** big time :D
De Vlaeminck - Maertens
Leif Hoste + Hincapie vs Cobblestones :p

Michielveedeebee said:
Leif Hoste + Hincapie vs Cobblestones :p

And they always win. :cool::p

I would add Merckx - Verbeeck, as well. One of my faves.

- Belgian Champs in Soumagne, the best BK ever.
- Liège Bastogne Liège 1973 : Merckx won by 2cm > finish photo. Everyone thought Frans finally his first great.
- Tour of Flanders 1975 : The legendary RvV, Merckx attacked in the Kwaremont with 100km to go and no one thought he would go to finish, but Frans Verbeeck. "Ongelooflijk te rijden hoedat hij rijdt. Ik heb formidabel afgezien. Ik weet niet wat het is, hij rijdt 5 per uur te snel voor ons" :D (Unbelievable to ride the way he rides, I've wonderfully suffer. I don't know what it is, he rides 5km/h too fast for us)

And other duels in Ghent-Ghent, e.g.

And a one-day rivalry: Merckx - Pintens in Liège 1971. The day Merckx had cramps and Pintens came back from nowhere. Everyone thought he was the strongest but Eddy beat him in the sprint.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Jan van Buggenhout versus Father van Landeghem. Without doubt one of the biggest rivalries in Belgian {especially Flandrian- see earlier thread} cycling with far reaching consequences. I wouldn't mind betting most have never heard of the two invovled in the feud.