• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It seems an appropriate time to start this upon Shayne Bannan's resignation from cycling Australia. Now there is nothing that is definative but we may find out soon whether this roumer will come to fruition as Bannan said things like he "intends to remain involved with international cycling and will make an announcement in mid-January as to the nature of that involvement and his future plans." This could co-incide with the TDU and would be an ideal time to officially anounce plans for a team to maximise publicity and exposure to the Australian and international cycling public.

Furthermore, Somebody mentioned in one of the forums (possibly the Pegasus forum) that Gerry Ryan - owner of Jayco Caravans had announced on 9 News that he aimed to have a Australian team in the Tour de France by 2012. Whether or not this is the case, Ryan is a man heavily involved in Australian sport - already in cycling with the domestic team Jayco-Skins and sponsoring a number of other cycling events events but also in horse racing, owning half of Melbourne cup winning horse Americain. He has prevoiusly been involved in sponsoring Basketball teams and is also involved in the St Kilda Football Club and the Melbourne Storm. The reason for pointing all this out is that he's an enthusiest and a man of effective action - unlike Chris White perhaps. He is said to have something like a 180 million dollar fortune and narrowly missed out featuring on the BRW Rich 200 list for 2010.

I have also heard mention that Scott Sunderland and/or Neil Stephans could be involved in the venture. Anyone have further evidence, comments, announcements or speculation about this team, here is the place to post it!

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
More and more looking the case.

As he has been heavily involved in other sports (and cycling) over a long period of time, I'm more likely to think a project he's involved with would be successful.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Make way for Chris White Mk II ! :D

I doubt that this project will be run badly like this. Ferminal, what sydney21 said aren't just linkages but it is starting to become well known that guys such as bannan & sunderland want to become involved in this project. It will be like the Sky of 2012.

The CH9 story was mostly about his business but he said he had one more big goal he wanted to acheive which is to have an australian pro team in the tdf by 2012. Just thinking about this makes me excited! Especially because this looks to be properly backed with some people who know what they are doing.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I doubt that this project will be run badly like this. Ferminal, what sydney21 said aren't just linkages but it is starting to become well known that guys such as bannan & sunderland want to become involved in this project. It will be like the Sky of 2012.

The CH9 story was mostly about his business but he said he had one more big goal he wanted to acheive which is to have an australian pro team in the tdf by 2012. Just thinking about this makes me excited! Especially because this looks to be properly backed with some people who know what they are doing.

The problem with that idea is that there need to be riders available to make the dream come true. And without any big names the dream of the 2012 tour will just be a pipe dream. So who do we know that is a very big name that only has a contract for this year will take the risk after what we've seen happening with Geox

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
The problem with that idea is that there need to be riders available to make the dream come true. And without any big names the dream of the 2012 tour will just be a pipe dream. So who do we know that is a very big name that only has a contract for this year will take the risk after what we've seen happening with Geox

Guys like Porte and Goss I am pretty sure are off contract next year. I think Lee Howard is and possibly Wes Sulzburger is too. I don't think there will be any shortage of off contract riders but it may be hard to get them to sign up just because of the element of risk involved. Obviously there will need to be a number of international signings just as there was with Pegasus in order for the team to be competative.

I think that the team would be better off aiming for a year as a pro conti team in 2012. That way they could build up a strong base of riders without being forced to sign any riders to simply fill roster space and not the ones that they want. And if they want to become Pro-tour in 2013 then team leaders would be more comfortable to make the move in the knowledge that it is a firmly established team.

Either way it is a venture that I will be following closely and one that I believe will be better organised and much more secure than Pegasus. That debacle wikll aid them in not making the same mistakes. And with an Aussie entrepeneur and cycling enthusiest as owner there won't be a last minute retraction of funds.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
NickBVK said:
More and more looking the case.

As he has been heavily involved in other sports (and cycling) over a long period of time, I'm more likely to think a project he's involved with would be successful.

Do you call the melbourne storm successful?
I think he could pump too much money into the team with bribes or money for drug research

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
Guys like Porte and Goss I am pretty sure are off contract next year. I think Lee Howard is and possibly Wes Sulzburger is too. I don't think there will be any shortage of off contract riders but it may be hard to get them to sign up just because of the element of risk involved. Obviously there will need to be a number of international signings just as there was with Pegasus in order for the team to be competative.
Would any of those signings ensure a tour invite? I don't believe so. They'll need big signings and I wonder whether anyone would go for the adventure after all the mishaps lately

Barrus said:
Would any of those signings ensure a tour invite? I don't believe so. They'll need big signings and I wonder whether anyone would go for the adventure after all the mishaps lately

They will not need an invite if the deal goes that the top 18 or whatever ProTour/World Tour are automatic is going in 2012.

They will get treated by the UCI a la Sky, TRS, Lux. There's no point coming out and saying you are aiming for the TdF unless you follow this sort of model. Otherwise you just end up like White. Now I'm not saying that's the only way to start a successful team, I'm saying that if you're going to talk nonsense about big ambitions only 12 months away, this is the best way.

(I would be much happier if the team came out and said they were going to start as a Pro Conti and possibly aiming for an invite to one GT).

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

As Ferminal just said its likely that we wont know who will get them a tour invite until a fair way into the season when there are some points on the board. The riders that I mentioned were just a few of the good Australian riders who they could sign and I think are off contract. However, If contador gets banned and Porte becomes leader there is a good chance that he will pick up a fair few points. Similarly with Gossy and Howard, now Greipel's gone and Renshaw is satisfied With cav being stuck up his Ar.se, will assume higher roles in the HTC sprinting heirarchy. Unfortunately, I have not memorised the contract status of every "very big rider" in the peleton and I highly doubt that anyone has for that matter so it is a bit early to be commenting on their ineligability for the tour for lack of big name signings.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
They will not need an invite if the deal goes that the top 18 or whatever ProTour/World Tour are automatic is going in 2012.

They will get treated by the UCI a la Sky, TRS, Lux. There's no point coming out and saying you are aiming for the TdF unless you follow this sort of model. Otherwise you just end up like White. Now I'm not saying that's the only way to start a successful team, I'm saying that if you're going to talk nonsense about big ambitions only 12 months away, this is the best way.

(I would be much happier if the team came out and said they were going to start as a Pro Conti and possibly aiming for an invite to one GT).

This is actually one of the many reasons I dislike many of these new anglo saxon teams, coming with too big a goals that are completely unattainably without buying riders from other teams. I do believe this is also part of the current problems with Geox, too much was promised to the sponsor when this is not attained it is not strange that the sponsor is peeved. I believe Vacansoleil is a good example of a reasonably new team which did have the right approach. If you start to state that your want a tour invite next year, without anything to back it up, nor anything which would warrant it, I believe you make a big mistake. And to get within the top 18 they would need to sign at least some reasonably big names and I just wondered who was available, but not only that, but who wanted to try such an adventure after looking how it ended up for Geox and Pegasus, it was mainly concerned with the latter, the question who would take such a gamble, more so than who would be available

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
supercameron said:
Do you call the melbourne storm successful?
I think he could pump too much money into the team with bribes or money for drug research

Jayco wasn't the problem with the sponsorship. It was the hidden little extra sponsors involved with and that Aldrin guy who ****ed storm up big time.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
I have also heard mention that Scott Sunderland and/or Neil Stephans could be involved in the venture. Anyone have further evidence, comments, announcements or speculation about this team, here is the place to post it!

Sunderland is not going to be a DS.

Speculating that Stephens, could be involved.

They will have more than one director. Think, Australian, younger and already directing PT team.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
I just wondered who was available, but not only that, but who wanted to try such an adventure after looking how it ended up for Geox and Pegasus, it was mainly concerned with the latter, the question who would take such a gamble, more so than who would be available

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...of-world-cycling/story-e6frg7mf-1225978995433

Gerry Ryan does... Thats what he enjoys doing. I read somewhere that he's happy to support Australian sport even if it means running a loss.

"I'm looking at all options. All I can confirm is all will be revealed at a press conference in Adelaide at 3pm on January 17 at the (Santos) Tour Down Under," Ryan said.

"I've looked at Pegasus Project and the Melbourne-based Australian Road Cycling projects, and sadly, for one reason or another, they never materialised."

And if McGee's involved I'd say there are already strong ties to Richie Porte and possibly Stuey O'Grady too.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I doubt that this project will be run badly like this.

Of course not. The planets will align miraculously for this one.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/green-and-gold-dreams-for-worldclass-team-20101230-19b6n.html

Ryan said he had also spoken with another group keen to start a ProTeam: Australian Road Cycling from Melbourne.

There's talk of another consortium too. So 3 "teams"? Its great to see the Aussie cycling scene is so united. :rolleyes:

Dirt sticks and the Jayvo-Bannan bid will always have the Pegasus? mark hanging over it if it gets successful.

I know Jayco have the development team that race in Europe but how about instead of going straight to 'PT' teams try and build up the sport here and the teams we've got here? We have some awesome riders in the club ranks but a very average (outside of Jan) cycling program.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Of course not. The planets will align miraculously for this one.

I know Jayco have the development team that race in Europe but how about instead of going straight to 'PT' teams try and build up the sport here and the teams we've got here? We have some awesome riders in the club ranks but a very average (outside of Jan) cycling program.

True, very true. Makes you think, maybe our (young) riders are not hitting the needle till later.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, and I've only scratched the surface but there are more Richie Porte's out there than there are Cam Meyer's or Jack Bobridge's.

TRENDING THREADS