• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Green Jersey Competition

Looks like a two man race

1. Thor Hushovd (NOR/CTT) 117 pts

2. Mark Cavendish (IDM/THR) 106

3. Gerald Ciolek (GER/MRM) 66

4. Jose Joaquin Rojas (ESP/GCE) 65

5. Fabian Cancellara (SWI/SAX) 55

6. Tyler Farrar (USA/GRM) 54

7. Thomas Voeckler (FRA/BBO) 47

8. Oscar Freire (ESP/RAB) 47

Hushovd:
Seems to be taking the Zabel approach. Scoop up all intermediate sprints and mix it up in field sprints as best you can. Mucho credit b/c team support seems very minimal. Is there a better nickname than "the God of Thunder"? I think not.

Cavendish:
Col/HTC said they were only going after stage wins and if the green jersey resulted it was just an added bonus. Today they've got Hincapie trying to poach by going around Hushovd which he wasn't able to do. What a waste of GH's talent and energy if you're not extremely motivated for green. I think they should go for stages like originally stated.

lean said:
Looks like a two man race

Hushovd:
Seems to be taking the Zabel approach. Scoop up all intermediate sprints and mix it up in field sprints as best you can.

This is kind of what the Green Jersey is about though - and he did win a stage the other day - he may end up being the best sprinter capable of finishing the race... that seems fine to me. (And I still think there is a good chance Cav will be in the hunt on the Chanzay Leezay)

I have a bit more problem with the KOM guys hoovering up points on small climbs and then being royally shelled out the back on any decent hill top finish aka Virenque and Jalabert in days gone by.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cav wan'ts the green badly!But he knows he's not good enough! Yet;)!
Thor is the more complete sprinter at the moment, good on hills, cobbles!

Cavendish would have for those points himself! The Manxman is fast, but he lacks the power of "The God of Thunder" and could not follow!

Thor deserves the green!

I have to admit I was shocked when I realized that Hushovd had snuck up on the jersey. I was so caught up in Freire and Boonen never making it to the finales that I didn't even notice how consistent Thor has been.

You may be right about Columbia only targetting wins and not the final jersey, but I think Cav wants it. Maybe this isn't his year, but--much as I dislike him--he WILL win it in years to come. And there are still a few stages this year that suit him and his train (that is, if they have any gas left--it's been a looooong Tour for those guys).

Still, I really like Thor's chances this year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I have to admit I was shocked when I realized that Hushovd had snuck up on the jersey. I was so caught up in Freire and Boonen never making it to the finales that I didn't even notice how consistent Thor has been.

You may be right about Columbia only targetting wins and not the final jersey, but I think Cav wants it. Maybe this isn't his year, but--much as I dislike him--he WILL win it in years to come. And there are still a few stages this year that suit him and his train (that is, if they have any gas left--it's been a looooong Tour for those guys).

Still, I really like Thor's chances this year.

Cav has the team built around him! Thor is almost alone!

Remember Boonen? He was unbeateble for 4 seasons( racking up 20+ wins in them),just look at him now:(...
we'll see how long will Cavs form keep up....
I'd rather see Boasson Hagen in green in the future! He's like Thor but with better climbing legs, he only needs to freshen up his sprinting style to match his raw power! Looking forward to see him in green:cool:

A

Anonymous

180mmCrank said:
I have a bit more problem with the KOM guys hoovering up points on small climbs and then being royally shelled out the back on any decent hill top finish aka Virenque and Jalabert in days gone by.

Absofreakinglutely. The problem is that how do you fix it? I know this thread is on the Green, but...

On topic, I like Thor in green. He is smart, fast, and can lug his keister over climbs better than most. Hincape had ZERO chance against him today, and that obviously ****ed him off, but if they wanted the points, they should have had Cav in the break.

I'd rather see Boasson Hagen in green in the future! He's like Thor but with better climbing legs, he only needs to freshen up his sprinting style to match his raw power! Looking forward to see him in green

+1 and...

.... or Haussler, Cavendish and Farrer duking it out over three weeks and it being decided on the final day :D I am dreaming about it already

180mmCrank said:
I'd rather see Boasson Hagen in green in the future! He's like Thor but with better climbing legs, he only needs to freshen up his sprinting style to match his raw power! Looking forward to see him in green

+1 and...

.... or Haussler, Cavendish and Farrer duking it out over three weeks and it being decided on the final day :D I am dreaming about it already

Go Haussler! (Of course, he will have less pressure to produce big results at the Tour after his exceptional spring campaign where he won Flanders or Roubaix [or both])

Belokki said:
Cav has the team built around him! Thor is almost alone!

I wouldn't say that he's almost alone. He's got at least half the team helping him. Haussler, Roulston, Klier and Lancaster aren't exactly there to help out in the mountains. Also Cuesta has been helping out bringing breaks back a little.

What I do agree with is that they haven't been doing the job they could have been doing.

Points classification
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team Columbia - HTC 176 pts
2 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team 169
3 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 110
4 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 110
5 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Team Milram 100
6 Oscar Freire Gomez (Spa) Rabobank 97

Cav back in green but not by much.

Wild guess, but I think this competition will be decided on the streets of Paris.

Barring accidents, it looks very hard for Hushovd to win from here. His big gain so far was on the stage to Barcelona where Cavendish was dropped from the lead group on the uphill before the drive to the finish. There aren't any more similar finishes to that remaining and it seems increasingly unlikely that Hushovd will pick up more points than Cav on regular flat finishes.

I think the best chance for Hushovd is stage 19. If he gets over the Cat 2 climb near the end with the lead group his descending and sprinting abilities might get him a stage win with Cav not featuring.

Really though, I think if Cav makes it to Paris he wins it.

TRENDING THREADS