• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Green Jersey Sprints

Jun 29, 2010
www.goodforthegame.co.za
These days there hardly ever seem to be sprints for the points during a stage. Not sure if my memory is clouded but I recall far more competition around these from the Green Jersey contenders years ago?

Generally speaking a break gets clear (with at least 3 riders) and they eat up the points without even contesting.

I find myself wondering what the point (no pun intended) is of having them?

Perhaps they should offer more points so that there are invariably still a few left when the peloton swing buy and we may get to see some in stage sprinting or at least team mates of contenders jumping clear to try and gobble up the points.

May make the 170km before the sprint finish a bit less tedious on days like today?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I recall seeing the bunch all together for the sprints more often in the past too. I wonder if it has something to do with race radios, TVs in team cars, etc. The sprinters aren't as worried about letting a break go because they know exactly what they have to do to keep it in check.

Still, the intermediate sprints can make for some good racing - like Hushovd's escape in the mountains last year - classic.

In past years the sprints also gave 6-4-2 bonus seconds so when the sprinters were racing for yellow there was a higher incentive to contest the sprints. At this early point in the race we don't know yet which riders will be in the hunt for green for real. Also when it's a sprinting stage we rarely see the top sprinters using up energy for a few points when it could jeopardise their final sprint. I'm sure we will start seeing a few more sprints for random points by the green jersey contenders once it gets more clear who will need them to win.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
In past years the sprints also gave 6-4-2 bonus seconds so when the sprinters were racing for yellow there was a higher incentive to contest the sprints. At this early point in the race we don't know yet which riders will be in the hunt for green for real. Also when it's a sprinting stage we rarely see the top sprinters using up energy for a few points when it could jeopardise their final sprint. I'm sure we will start seeing a few more sprints for random points by the green jersey contenders once it gets more clear who will need them to win.

there used to be 12 seconds about 20 years ago for the winner. that would be more interesting. and 20 points for the winner too