• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Green Jersey Winner

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Green Jersey Winner

• Greipel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kittel

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kristoff

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Cavendish

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Sagan

Votes: 70 59.3%
  • Degenkolb

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Matthews

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Demare

• Bouhanni

• Other

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Asero831 said:
orangerider said:
Sagan will take green. He will be super motivated. Needs the palmares whether staying with Olga or using the win to ensure those large paychecks come in from another team next year. Besides, Contador always likes to ride up front during bunch sprints with the main field anyway, so it won't be that much more effort to execute along with Bennati providing the leadout. Doubt he'll get much wins though, but he doesn't need them with that kind of consistency.

Will Bennati be part of the TS team?
Yes, it's looking like he and McCarthy will have babysitting/positioning duties on the flat/hilly stages.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

42x16ss said:
Asero831 said:
orangerider said:
Sagan will take green. He will be super motivated. Needs the palmares whether staying with Olga or using the win to ensure those large paychecks come in from another team next year. Besides, Contador always likes to ride up front during bunch sprints with the main field anyway, so it won't be that much more effort to execute along with Bennati providing the leadout. Doubt he'll get much wins though, but he doesn't need them with that kind of consistency.

Yes, it's looking like he and McCarthy will have babysitting/positioning duties on the flat/hilly stages.
source? :)

ILovecycling said:
42x16ss said:
Asero831 said:
orangerider said:

source? :)
Jay McCarthy has been dropping on and off Tinkoff's Tour team on PCS the last few days. Wouldn't be a bad pick, he's had decent form and the team seems to like him.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If Sagan hasn't full control by stage 19 Tinkoff will ride so hard from km 0 on stage 19 and 20 that Cav, Kristoff and Kittel will be dropped very early and be OTL.

Re:

neineinei said:
If Sagan hasn't full control by stage 19 Tinkoff will ride so hard from km 0 on stage 19 and 20 that Cav, Kristoff and Kittel will be dropped very early and be OTL.

I don't think they will do anything on those stages unless it maximises Contador's MJ ambitions.

They would look pretty foolish if they did that and left AC isolated in the mountains against Sky/Movistar/Astana.

Hold on a second, surely some of these posts are in the wrong thread? Is there a polka dot thread?

Because Peter Sagan, that skinny Slovakian climber that I saw in the Tour of California...surely he is a man for the mountains classification? Not green.

May 19, 2010
Visit site

barmaher said:
neineinei said:

I don't think they will do anything on those stages unless it maximises Contador's MJ ambitions.

They would look pretty foolish if they did that and left AC isolated in the mountains against Sky/Movistar/Astana.

He wont be isolated, he'll have Sagan. But seriously, Kristoffs trainer/step father (NB! not his father in law, he doesn't give a damn) is worried Kristoff will be OTL on those two stages. The stages are short with lots of climbing, the maximum time could be a problem for some.

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Should Sam Bennet not be on that poll way ahead of Bouhanni or Demere? He hasn't been beaten by any of those yet this year. I know he isn't gonna be in green or anything like that. #justsayin

MatParker117 said:
The first 15 riders to cross the finish line to be rewarded with 50, 30, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 points respectively on the nine flat stages.

There are only six flat stages (2, 5, 6, 7, 15, 21) giving those points.

Seven stages (3, 4, 8, 10, 13, 14, 16) give 30-25-22-19-17-15-13-11-9-7-6-5-4-3-2 points and seven (1, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20) 20-17-15-13-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Knutsen said:
EBH will raise from the ashes. You heard it here first..

One can hope. He is showing signs of progress, and one would assume MTN is riding for him, but he is not as fast as Sagan and not as good on the hills. Also heard somewhere he is suffering from a cold. Not the perfect build up.
Reckon he will finish somewhere between 4-8 in the Green jersey comp, and maybe knick a break away stage that`s somewhat hilly if he can get away from Sagan. From what I`ve seen of him this year, he still doesn`t seem good at timing his sprints though.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Hmm, Kittel was the most important rider for securing Sagan green. Now Cav should get more points and Degenkolb will be a new challenger. I still expect Sagan to win it comfortably though.

Might be overlooking Kristoff there as well Netserk. Seems he has 4 riders helping him this year, which is more than usual. He finally has something resembling a working train this year as well. Haller is improving and has been an important leadout man lately. If Guarnieri shows some class I think Kristoff could possibly do at least as good as last year. Kristoff also used Tour de Suisse to loose a couple of kgs, so I wouldn`t read too much into him (or cavendish) not impressing too much there.

All in all, I think Sagan is the clear favourite... 60% chance or something like that of him winning the jersey.
And then it`s a toss up between Cav, Degenkolb and Kristoff.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like they keep tweaking the rules so Cav can win. Especially with Kittel out (not that he showed anything lately but this is cycling after all so that often is not predictive) it is hard to see him not winning at least half the 50 point stages. I don't see Sagan being allowed to try for it. It is possible Kristoff and Degenkolb could and Sagan could benefit from them trying to drop Cav on some stages but that is perhaps wishful thinking on my part.

Re:

Nick C. said:
Is it just me or does it seem like they keep tweaking the rules so Cav can win. Especially with Kittel out (not that he showed anything lately but this is cycling after all so that often is not predictive) it is hard to see him not winning at least half the 50 point stages. I don't see Sagan being allowed to try for it. It is possible Kristoff and Degenkolb could and Sagan could benefit from them trying to drop Cav on some stages but that is perhaps wishful thinking on my part.

Oleg better not stop Sagan from sprinting! Yes he was signed to do a good job in the spring classics, but his next big thing is the Tour. The green jersey is something worth fighting for, and he could easily end up winning a "flatter" stage with his good form.

Giant says they won't target the green jersey with Degenkolb "from the outset." They also said (in the front page CN article) “John Degenkolb is not a replacement for Marcel Kittel, John Degenkolb is another rider with other qualities,” said Spekenbrink. “On the pure-Marcel Kittel days he will not be the favourite. He is not the guy when it is totally flat, he is more the kind of sprinter who can do well when it’s more selective. We have a team built around him to stand by him in those stages.”

Re:

Nick C. said:

If Kittel was riding them most people would say Cav doesn't have a chance in hell, so I don't think it's fair to say they are tweaking it just for Cav. It depends how you view the jersey, but Sagan won 1 stage in 2013 and easily took the jersey and no stages in 2014 and still easily took the jersey. If you view it as a sprinters jersey then that makes the competition extremely boring to the point no-one cares. They struggle to find sponsors for the jersey as it is, a forgone conclusion (and it has been as close to a forgone conclusion as you can get in the Tour the past three years) is hardly going to make anyone want to sponsor it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Nick C. said:

If Kittel was riding them most people would say Cav doesn't have a chance in hell, so I don't think it's fair to say they are tweaking it just for Cav. It depends how you view the jersey, but Sagan won 1 stage in 2013 and easily took the jersey and no stages in 2014 and still easily took the jersey. If you view it as a sprinters jersey then that makes the competition extremely boring to the point no-one cares. They struggle to find sponsors for the jersey as it is, a forgone conclusion (and it has been as close to a forgone conclusion as you can get in the Tour the past three years) is hardly going to make anyone want to sponsor it.

Fair point. But the previous change was also supposed to make it easier for a "sprinter/stage winner" to win the jersey and that pre-dated Kittel's emergence.

Nick C. said:
King Boonen said:
Nick C. said:

Fair point. But the previous change was also supposed to make it easier for a "sprinter/stage winner" to win the jersey and that pre-dated Kittel's emergence.

Like I said, it depends on how you view the Jersey. Is it a sprinters jersey, a consistent finishers jersey or a multiple winners jersey? I think the difficulty of both defining it and developing a points system that allows several riders to attempt to win it is what causes the problems.