• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GreenEdge: Even scummier than Pegasus

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-australian-team-poaching-riders.html

But I have learned that this team could be employing highly questionable tactics to recruit new riders for next year. These methods appear to include approaching riders to sign a secret legal agreement to join Green Edge. This contract, separate from an actual offer of employment for 2012, appears to help tie the rider in question to the new team and includes reference to a substantial lump sum payment should a rider sign. If this is true then Green Edge looks to be flouting the UCI rules before it’s even got going.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
So looking to give riders possible bonuses and talking to riders before the transfer date makes the team scum? That would make just about every team scum. The press conference is about to start in 15 mins.

May 16, 2009
Visit site
Shock, horror, call interpol... think Team Leopard Trek; think Garmin; think Sky (especially Sky)!!!!! Think pretty much any team that has launched in the last 10-years. The August trade date start is such an irrelevence and for Vaughters (or anyone else) to cry 'woe is me' is two-faced drivel. And in terms of the UCI doing anything... they're too concerned with what length the riders socks are to acutually provide any serious leadership or anything else for this sport.

Pelican said:
think Team Leopard Trek; think Garmin; think Sky (especially Sky)!!!!!

Do you have any evidence that those teams signed other teams' riders to secret agreements that promised cash for UCI points earned while on another team, therefore creating a conflict of interest with the riders' duty to their current teams? Link please.

The Inner Ring uncovers the contract clause that pays riders for points:

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2011/01/do-you-get-picture.html

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
it will be interesting to see what falls out of the Novitsky investigation, US Postal and Matt White's time spent with that team in that period...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about all the super secret stuff, but it was interesting to learn that the only thing really held to the August one date is the signed contract. We knew before the Tour de France that the Schlecks would be leaving - they told Bjarne about it then. And you know teams and riders recruit during the Tour. I guess enforcement just means that when the contracts go to Ernst & Young, a clerk looks to see none are dated before then. Other than that, anything seems to go.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
If a team doesn't exist yet can it still be forced to follow the UCI transfer rules? I wonder of the transfer clause covers this.

Short answer. No.

2.15.120a A transfer period extends from 1 August to 20 October.
2.15.120b A UCI ProTeam or licence applicant may only recruit riders during the transfer period. For the purposes of this article “recruit” shall be deemed to mean concluding a contract with a rider to ride for the UCI ProTeam or licence applicant’s team, including situations where the rider in question is already under contract to the same UCI ProTeam or licence applicant at the moment of that recruitment, e.g. in the case of the renewal of an existing contract.

GreenEdge are neither a ProTeam or a team that have lodged an application.

So boo fkn hoo if they are doing secret deals. And likewise anyone saying CA should have supported Pegasus. Pegasus was a house of cards and didn't deserve any support.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
Short answer. No.

GreenEdge are neither a ProTeam or a team that have lodged an application.

So boo fkn hoo if they are doing secret deals. And likewise anyone saying CA should have supported Pegasus. Pegasus was a house of cards and didn't deserve any support.

Big Tick

Lets just hope the wingless horse doesn't spook some prospects, but then again, these guys behind GreenEDGE are not flashy business men, they have real reputations and real credentials

Rumours have it that they've tapped up Matt White, Bobridge and Meyer from Garmin.

Following on the animal theme, can we call this one Team Wallaby or Team Kangaroo for now please? Team KANGAROO-KOGA has a good ring to it. :p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Rumours have it that they've tapped up Matt White, Bobridge and Meyer from Garmin.

Following on the animal theme, can we call this one Team Wallaby or Team Kangaroo for now please? Team KANGAROO-KOGA has a good ring to it. :p

Australian Rugby Union Team is the Wallabies and Australian Rugby League team is the Kangaroos. So that would only confuse people. ;)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
msjett said:
Australian Rugby Union Team is the Wallabies and Australian Rugby League team is the Kangaroos. So that would only confuse people. ;)

Our national cycling team is known as the Cyclones

Shane Bannan. Neil Stephens and Scott Sunderland. There is three names certain to be part of the new team. Three credible people with a long history involving pro-cycling. They already have the finances. Why put the boot into a team that is not even registered yet ? Chris White obviously tried hard to make Pegasus work and the riders and staff had confidence in him but what can you do when sponsors pull out at the last minute ? I hope this is the beginning of the next step for Aussie cycling. Pretty impressive already considering how many Australians currently ride at the elite level. Not bad for a country of 22 million or so. The next decade should be very interesting for Australian cycling fans.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Pegasus I didn't really care for.
But I'm all for supporting these guys, seem to have solid foundations already at play.

Lets hope so. But to be fair, it's difficult to forget Pegasus given the amount of BS we were bombarded with. It doesn't really inspire confidence.

A

Anonymous

the only thing that concerns me about this team is that Phil Liggett is their "press advisor". I was hoping when lance retired Phil would die a slow (virtual) death. Clearly not.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
the only thing that concerns me about this team is that Phil Liggett is their "press advisor". I was hoping when lance retired Phil would die a slow (virtual) death. Clearly not.

meh press adviser isn't a deal breaker.

In terms of cycling media here - which isn't much - ligget it a pretty well liked guy I think. We here all know he is a bumbling old ignorant oaf, but it ain't all that bad. Certainly nothing that will 'destroy' this teams prospects. Little fish imo .

A

Anonymous

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
meh press adviser isn't a deal breaker.

In terms of cycling media here - which isn't much - ligget it a pretty well liked guy I think. We here all know he is a bumbling old ignorant oaf, but it ain't all that bad. Certainly nothing that will 'destroy' this teams prospects. Little fish imo .

Oh it wont effect the team. But i really dont know if i can cope with listening to Phil mumbling on about the team for the next few years.

Love the "boo fkn hoo" people.

When it's a team you don't like, or from some other far off place, doing it, it's fine to stick the boot in, but when you're creating conflicts of interest before you've even started it's fine because you don't technically exist and are Australian?

Sky annoyed a lot of people with their recruitment policy. Leopard have done too. Pegasus annoyed people with their hype.

What makes it bad when these guys do it but okay when GreenEdge do?

Libertine Seguros said:
Love the "boo fkn hoo" people.

When it's a team you don't like, or from some other far off place, doing it, it's fine to stick the boot in, but when you're creating conflicts of interest before you've even started it's fine because you don't technically exist and are Australian?

If Pegasus would have gotten their big team up and running then White would have been hailed as a hero. Hyping his team to bring in sponsors and riders would have been dismissed by the same people who are now dismissing the acts of the Green Edge. It turns out that people at Pegasus were stabbed in the back by their own countrymen.

In a small country like Australia, there are limited opportunities for sponsorship. Instead of helping White secure those limited sponsorship dollars, the insiders at Cycling Australia, who had the duty and responsibility to build and promote cycling for Australia, were scheming to use their positions to set up a rival team that would pay them all fat salaries. You can bet that the insiders did their best to lock up every sponsor that they had ever had contact with before White could make a deal.

TRENDING THREADS