• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Henderson interview - Re: Greipel's Crashes

For anyone who is interested, Greg Henderson gave some good insight into how badly Greipel was suffering after his crashes today. Kinda puts a different perspective on Sagan outsprinting him, and also makes it clear he's serious about the green jersey and not just just stage wins.

Go to:
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/listen-on-demand/weekondemand/

Click on Saturday.
Then click on 6:45am-7:00am segment.

Interview begins about one minute in.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Fast forward a few years...very few will remember that Greipel was in a crash or two on this stage. They may not even remember that he took 2nd on the day or that Cav was not with the leaders.

They'll remember Sagan winning his 3rd stage in the first week of the tour.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
The Barb said:
For anyone who is interested, Greg Henderson gave some good insight into how badly Greipel was suffering after his crashes today. Kinda puts a different perspective on Sagan outsprinting him, and also makes it clear he's serious about the green jersey and not just just stage wins.

Go to:

Click on Saturday.

thx

its amazing he managed 2nd place really. hope he stays and gets it.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The Barb said:

Go to:

Click on Saturday.

It doesn't put anything in to perspective. There is more to a race than the last 3k. Sagan stayed on his bike all day Greipel did not. Hence he was stronger for the finish, thus winning the race, not just winning a sprint.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I was never a huge fan of greipel but he has come across very well in his interviews this week. He gives huge credit to his team and he not only seems ecstatic at winning TdF stages but humbled as well.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
Fast forward a few years...very few will remember that Greipel was in a crash or two on this stage. They may not even remember that he took 2nd on the day or that Cav was not with the leaders.

They'll remember Sagan winning his 3rd stage in the first week of the tour.

...and with any kind of of luck, in a few minutes, I may not even remember who you are or what you blathered on about...though there is this lingering bad taste in my mouth that may take a wee bit longer to dispel from my memory...

....that being said I will remember the Metz Massacre, the aftermath and the effort that Greipel put in today to snag second...everyday in the Tour someone wins a stage, its like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west, but its the heroics that stand out long after the bad taste leaves one's mouth...

Cheers

blutto

The fact Greipel is not contesting the intermediate sprints tells me he's not too serious about the Green jersey. But he's still a great rider and a huge threat on the flats.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
The Barb said:

Go to:

Click on Saturday.

Superb interview! Thanks for sharing, love these insights. Huge effort by beloved patriot Greipel and good man management by Hendy. I've heard Henderson speak a few times, top fella. I hope beloved patriot's injuries improve before the next set of sprints.

TRENDING THREADS