• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg LeMond... How did he get away with it? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeau

BANNED
Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Whatever the outcome maybe of the forthcoming investigations into the Lance Armstrong saga, it is too bad that LeMond won't be remembered for being a great cyclist, but instead, a great whiner & in the process turning himself into a pathetic curmudgeon. He’s been bested & ousted from his perch as the best cyclist ever to come from America - deal with it.

While Greg throws insult after insult, hoping for it to stick to something, Lance is able to remain calm and let Greg lose his reputation. Lance keeps the higher ground and doesn't in dignify himself with a fight. If they both got into it verbally, nobody would look good.

With the same amount of proof that has been brought to light against Lance, I charge LeMond of doping as well.

- Explain, how in the course of a couple of days, mid 1989, he could go from being shelled out the back at even dropped by the sprinters in the mountains of the Giro to finishing on the podium during the final time trial - and then going onto win the Tour and the Worlds. Seeing Greg go up the final climb in the worlds just made a complete mockery of everyone in the race. An impressive piece of big gear climbing. The first half of the season is a complete disaster for Greg with many races not even finished and then "oh, I have an iron deficiency". I almost remember Greg almost quiting pro cycling during the early part of 1989 and his mystery overnight "recovery" from aenemia by vitamin B12 and iron shots from his soigneur, Otto, and coming back into form. Having suffered from aenemia and gone through similar 'shots' I know, like many others, that you don't just recover mystically overnight, or even over a few days... If Greg was given something, knowingly or not, for anemia and the resulting low hematocrit and hgb and it worked really fast - it certainly wasn't "iron shots". I could think of something that was out in the pro peloton that'd fit a rapid increase of performance. When you're dropped on all the mountain stages and do very poorly in the prologue and the first time trial of the Giro but 'mystically' come back for a podium finish in the final time trial then something, somewhere happened. So what did miraculously turn his form around overnight & what did he take?. I claim EPO. When you're talking about quitting the sport you know things are really bad.

- Gregs' increase in performance from a few shots of vitamins and iron in the hiney does not compute. Insinuate from that what you will... EPO might take weeks but there's always transfusions...

- And for someone who rides as hard as Greg, I don’t buy it for one second he rode it as training, look at his resume pre ’89, riding hard in every event.

- In his the book "Bad Blood", he seems to indicate he left the Tour because he could not keep up with the r-EPO era cyclists. Didn’t stop him challenging the dopers of Fignon &co of ’89 & ’90. The drug testing starts advancing & its suddenly “he could not keep up with the r-EPO era cyclists of ’94. BS.

- I remember one exchange between Greg and Lance when Lance said something like the following to Greg: "How is it that you have the fastest time trial ever in the Tour de France?" Greg didn't have much of a response. It's a good question though since if everyone was doping at the time and Greg's time trial was still faster, he's either genetically from another planet or he was also doping when he rode that time trial.

- He beat a man (Fignon) who has since admitted to doping in 1989. He had the fastest time trial of that length or greater for many years (including all the years he claimed were full of dopers) DESPITE the fact that if you watch it, he's rocking all over the place and very un-aero and using a flexier bike than today. He made up 58 seconds on Laurent Fignon (confessed doper), ultimately winning the race by 8 seconds. YEAH RIGHT.

- One big piece of "evidence" he gives for proving he was dope free and others doped was how just one year after he won the TDF, suddenly he was finishing in the pack and beaten by others he'd beaten his whole career. But, in 1990 Lemond won with an average speed of 38.621 kph. The next year, the Big Mig won at an avg speed of 38.747 kph. That's a 0.3% difference. 1/3 of a percent.

- As well, his claim that him finishing 7th the next year, and thus was beaten by dopers, doesn't hold up. If Big Mig was a doper, then wouldn't Lemond's claim also hold true for him? But Big Mig won 5 years in a row and then the next year was 11th, even bigger of a drop off than Lemond.

LeMond portrays himself as Mr. squeaky clean but like so many other riders, hes dirty as the next rider, make no quarms about it. So look on the bright side -- at least someone is "probing" Armstrong – unfortunately it's not you!.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
ummmmm

troll.jpg

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
How did Merckx beat Thevenet many times, how did Greg beat who he beat and Lance beat who he beat and Contador beat who he beat. What a quandry.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Chapeau; the first image that comes to mind reading your drivle is a guy tucked in his aero bars on the bike path yelling 'rider up' to moms pushing baby joggers because he is so fit

This is actually quite amazing and an historic moment. Lance Armstrong is so discombobulated, and he and his co-conspirators are reeling from the storm of bad press, that it seems likely they are encouraging a LA, Inc.-supported campaign to discredit LeMond. Fascinating.

Of course, it could just be a nutty forum-rat w/ a hard-on for breaking Greg's balls, or polishing Lance's (ball, that is)...

I just created the "No BPCs Club" group that in the "community" section. I am not sure how the private, public, and moderated options for the group operate.

"An ancient brotherhood with mythological origins. Some say it began in in the cycling hotbed of France; others in Italy or Belgium. Still others trace its origins back to Mesopotamia or even earlier. The brotherhood is dedicated to maintaining a BPC-free purity of mind and body that is believed to lead to great rewards in the next life and a Zen-like tranquility in this one."

EDIT: The group is currently marked as "moderated," and it looks like anyone who wants to join has to be okayed by the group's moderator, which is currently me. We can make the group private to hide the group's forum. I don't know if posts made the group forum have to be okayed before they appear. Maybe the group should be marked as "private."

I actually think this is hilarious.

These guys put all this effort into a campaign to slur Lemond on an internet forum read by about .0000001% of the people this kind of campaign would ever have any possibility of an effect on.

Instead they preach to an audience that already holds them in zero regard and actually ridicules them openly. None of us are ever going to change our minds, or even care for that matter, while all the real nitwits who might be swayed by this crap are off tearing it up training for that big metric century.

Pure comedy gold

MacRoadie said:
I actually think this is hilarious.

These guys put all this effort into a campaign to slur Lemond on an internet forum read by about .0000001% of the people this kind of campaign would ever have any possibility of an effect on.

Instead they preach to an audience that already holds them in zero regard and actually ridicules them openly. None of us are ever going to change our minds, or even care for that matter, while all the real nitwits who might be swayed by this crap are off tearing it up training for that big metric century.

Pure comedy gold

This kind of stuff is straight out of the Swift Boat playbook. Smear repeatedly and hope something sticks. You have to wonder what kind of person is at the point in their life where their calling constitutes of sniffing at the jock of a well-known fraud. But hey, BPC doesn't seem to mind a little brown nosing.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Oke, I don't yet have the power to ban people, but I will close this thread and let the other mods know that he is back. Please do send any of his pms to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS