• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Lemond on Doping

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2010-06-03-greglemondreaction_N.htm?csp=34

"I do feel vindicated," LeMond said Wednesday. "This has been going on so long, you get used to people thinking there are ulterior motives and jealousy. But that's really just the spin that Armstrong has put on it."

"It seems almost crazy to dare say that Armstrong admitted he used EPO, but he did call me in 2001 and admitted that he used EPO. That was his way of saying, 'Everybody does EPO, your (1989) win was a miracle just like mine was.'

I especially appreciated this comment:

"This is all about bullying and threatening those who dared to challenge the story,"LeMond says. "But to really change, there needs to be a cleansing from the top down. Just punishing riders won't fix it. The teams, the corporations that sponsor them and the organizations that govern the sport all have to take responsibility. Right now it is a corrupt system."

Thought the dig about his slight paunch was a bit unnecessary.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Definitely deserves it's own thread....

This is the first time (to my knowledge) LeMond has publicly, for the media said that Armstrong admitted to his EPO use to him. Everyone here knows the story about this phone call but I have never seen it in a newsppaper like USA Today. Wow. Dominoes are starting to fall... slowly. I hope Novitzky confirms soon less this whole thing blows over....

May 20, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
"(Armstrong) has talked about Floyd's mental well-being, as he's done with me and nearly every person who has questioned him," says LeMond, now 49 and slightly paunchy.

Does being slightly paunchy have any relevance to Lemond's credibility? I thought it was odd that USAToday would write that. Perhaps they were sore because LA didn't provide any comment.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
This is the first time (to my knowledge) LeMond has publicly, for the media said that Armstrong admitted to his EPO use to him. Everyone here knows the story about this phone call but I have never seen it in a newsppaper like USA Today. Wow. Dominoes are starting to fall... slowly. I hope Novitzky confirms soon less this whole thing blows over....

That disclosure is news to me and could start a fire. LA will be torn to defend against this accusation in court because of the parade of witnesses. I'm not sure I believe he would be dumb enough to do that, either.

On this count Lemond is totally in sync with what many have said:
"This is all about bullying and threatening those who dared to challenge the story,"LeMond says. "But to really change, there needs to be a cleansing from the top down. Just punishing riders won't fix it. The teams, the corporations that sponsor them and the organizations that govern the sport all have to take responsibility. Right now it is a corrupt system."

For those that say the negativity is hurting the sport the correct response is getting even closer to: "burn it down". It sounds extreme but the interdependence of cheaters and facilitators protects them both, minus a few sacrificial lambs like the group we've seen the UCI finally deal with.

tubularglue said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2010-06-03-greglemondreaction_N.htm?csp=34

"I do feel vindicated," LeMond said Wednesday. "This has been going on so long, you get used to people thinking there are ulterior motives and jealousy. But that's really just the spin that Armstrong has put on it."

"It seems almost crazy to dare say that Armstrong admitted he used EPO, but he did call me in 2001 and admitted that he used EPO. That was his way of saying, 'Everybody does EPO, your (1989) win was a miracle just like mine was.'

I'm glad for Greg. And I hope this is only the start, he deserves for the truth to out, and to feel completely vindicated. A good guy.

A

Anonymous

oldschoolnik said:

Anyone betting LA sues Lemond for libel?

One can only hope as cross-examination would be a hoot.

CPAvelo said:
Does being slightly paunchy have any relevance to Lemond's credibility? I thought it was odd that USAToday would write that. Perhaps they were sore because LA didn't provide any comment.

Armstrong has already commented:

“You cannot trust anything LeMond says. He’s slightly paunchy and that is a mark of a man who lies. I’m not paunchy. I like not being paunchy. I choose to Livepauch”

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
For those that say the negativity is hurting the sport the correct response is getting even closer to: "burn it down". It sounds extreme but the interdependence of cheaters and facilitators protects them both, minus a few sacrificial lambs like the group we've seen the UCI finally deal with.

The problem is that while "burn it down" is really fun to say... it doesn't really mean much. How, exactly would "burning it down" go with pro-cycling/UCI/ASO/etc.?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

“You cannot trust anything LeMond says. He’s slightly paunchy and that is a mark of a man who lies. I’m not paunchy. I like not being paunchy. I choose to Livepauch”

...to be fair, the quote was "I chose to Paunchstrong"

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Anyone betting LA sues Lemond for libel?

One can only hope as cross-examination would be a hoot.

Right! Wow things have sure changed since a few years ago Lance wants to stay as far from a court where people have to go on the record to swear to tell the truth. No way he sues anyone unless he listens to really terribel advice. Eevry witness he called woudl have to lie through their teeth and not everybody is as good at LA at lying.

thehog said:

Plus, Armstrong has had his BMI measured innumerable times, making him the most paunch-tested athlete in history. He has NEVER tested positive for paunch (photos from the Tour Down Under and several Spring Classics notwithstanding).

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Plus, Armstrong has had his BMI measured innumerable times, making him the most paunch-tested athlete in history. He has NEVER tested positive for paunch (photos from the Tour Down Under and several Spring Classics notwithstanding).

Clearly we need a biological paunchport system.

A

Anonymous

thehog said:

LA looked pauncy on his TT bike at Td Gila:D

May 20, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Right! Wow things have sure changed since a few years ago Lance wants to stay as far from a court where people have to go on the record to swear to tell the truth. No way he sues anyone unless he listens to really terribel advice. Eevry witness he called woudl have to lie through their teeth and not everybody is as good at LA at lying.

They would all have to be paunchy too. What color should the Paunchstrong wristband be?

oldschoolnik said:

What I really really WISH for is publications like USA Today banning totally idiotic and puerile comments on their website.

A

Anonymous

cpavelo said:
they would all have to be paunchy too. What color should the paunchstrong wristband be?

XXXL, of course, light yellow.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Subcutaneous EPO injection site = paunchport? Hmmmm...

I'm afraid I have to correct you. The biological paunchport system simply monitors a rider's possession of snacks over time. If there's ever a suspicious rise or fall in a rider's snack content, that rider can be targeted for paunch-testing. Unfortunately this system still fails to detect microsnacking.