• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greg Lemond's predictions...

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Remeber a week ago when Greg Lemond made his prediction that LA would not start the Tour or would drop out before reaching France.

Now that the race is nearly to the point of having 2 stages complete that started and finish in France, LA is still in the peloton.

So, the question I ask, is that did Lemond get a tip from someone who is not a reliable source of infromation, or is Lemond just spitting more venom to the American who broke his record for Tour wins?

It seems to me that he undermines his credibility within the sport when he makes bold predictions and they don't come through.

Please note, this is not a thread about LA and his doping, this is a thread about the credibility of Greg Lemond. Please keep the discussion on Lemond!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
LeMond fits the description of someone who confuses his want for a clean sport with his personal disdain for Armstrong. Understandably convergent, but very much muddied just the same.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I predicted Cavendish would win yesterday and I was wrong. There goes my credibility.

But seriously, I thought those comments by Lemond were quite silly.

They really took away from an otherwise very interesting read.

Somehow reminds me of when Wilt Chamberlin wrote in his biography that he slept with 20K women and then expressed shock that everyone focused only on that paragraph and not the rest of the book

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I clicked on his latest column "The Art of Peaking for the Tour de France" thinking I might get some real insight into, you know, how to peak for the Tour de France. Instead I read a rant about implied doping and a baseless predictions that Lance wouldn't start the tour.

Silly indeed.

The obvious implication was Armstrong would face sanction upon entering France. LeMond underestimated the influence of Armstrong on money, and the influence of money on the Tour: no way they take him from the race based on 7-year-old heresay from a compromised source, no matter how plausible the story.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
It was not a baseless prediction.

About a week after Lemond's prediction it was made public that Interpol was now involved and that the French and Belgium agencies were working with the Federal government investigation.

There is a current, open investigation in France regarding the transfusion kits. It was expected that the sharing of information, and recent witness testimony, that the possibility of some kind of action had increased. This has been well discussed within the press core so it would have been no surprise if Greg's prediction came true.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Wait and see. ;)

In any case, with the latest Ullrich revelations, the truly remarkable thing about LA is that he, if anything, can truly handle the stress. :D

Sociopaths have no problem with lying.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Predictions can go wrong short term, I thought Cav would get the stage yesterday but it went hopelessly wrong.

Lemond has to be taken seriously on this. Lance entered the Tour knowing people were expecting him to pull out, so he was always going to enter to prove them wrong.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Wait and see. ;)

In any case, with the latest Ullrich revelations, the truly remarkable thing about LA is that he, if anything, can truly handle the stress. :D

Please elaborate on the revelations about Ullrich. I missed that.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
As great a rider as LeMond was, he is now a head case. I forgive him for trying to hurt US cycling. I double forgive Floyd.
If it suits certain fans: go support those two. Frankly I think LeMond and Floyd are lost sheep.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont always agree with Greg Lemond, as a lot of his writing seems like sour grapes to me ,but I wholeheartedly concur with his recent comments re brakes. Those Campy Delta's were bloody useless. ---Like every other hero
at that time ,I had to have them! I still have a set in one of my boxes,somewhere.Amazing how much they sell for,even now.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Ten Percent Grade said:
I clicked on his latest column "The Art of Peaking for the Tour de France" thinking I might get some real insight into, you know, how to peak for the Tour de France. Instead I read a rant about implied doping and a baseless predictions that Lance wouldn't start the tour.

Silly indeed.

Like most of LeMond's rants.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Sociopaths have no problem with lying.

I agree, we see that with LeMond a lot. I know you are a fanboy of his but stop making excuses for his constantly failed predictions. I guess you live on in the hope that if he makes enough of them eventually one will be right and then you can tell us all: "see I told you so":rolleyes:

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Squares said:
So, the question I ask, is that did Lemond get a tip from someone who is not a reliable source of infromation, or is Lemond just spitting more venom to The American who broke his record for Tour wins?
Yeah it's obvious this guy with french sounding name is an USA hater and just hates everything american!

Oh wait...
________
PRILOSEC LAWSUIT

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
bobgod said:
I dont always agree with Greg Lemond, as a lot of his writing seems like sour grapes to me ,but I wholeheartedly concur with his recent comments re brakes. Those Campy Delta's were bloody useless. ---Like every other hero
at that time ,I had to have them! I still have a set in one of my boxes,somewhere.Amazing how much they sell for,even now.
And Super Record he was using were even worse!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
I agree, we see that with LeMond a lot. I know you are a fanboy of his but stop making excuses for his constantly failed predictions. I guess you live on in the hope that if he makes enough of them eventually one will be right and then you can tell us all: "see I told you so":rolleyes:

Failed predictions? You mean like the one about Armstrong being a doper aided by Ferrari?

Told you so.

People are laughing at you right now because Greg proven right far more times then not. Ask Trek how right he was to sue them.

Coolhand needs to go back to his fanboy forum.

Race Radio said:
People are laughing at you right now because Greg proven right far more times then not. Ask Trek how right he was to sue them.

Isn't that the lawsuit that prompted Trek to counter-sue with allegations that, among other things, Greg had taken bikes from his personal allotment (which he actually paid for but at a discount) and sold them himself for profit?

Hmmm, that sounds a lot like....

...oh, never mind.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Originally Posted by Squares
So, the question I ask, is that did Lemond get a tip from someone who is not a reliable source of infromation, or is Lemond just spitting more venom to The American who broke his record for Tour wins?
Yeah it's obvious this guy with french sounding name is an USA hater and just hates everything american!

LeMond=Scottish

Lemond=French

The name: Greg LeMond CHAMPION

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Isn't that the lawsuit that prompted Trek to counter-sue with allegations that, among other things, Greg had taken bikes from his personal allotment (which he actually paid for but at a discount) and sold them himself for profit?

Hmmm, that sounds a lot like....

...oh, never mind.

Sold for profit?!? Where are your FACTS to back this statement up anyways?!? He actually has GIVEN most of them away to charities or events NOT for profit. Anyone who knows Greg personally truly understands his generosity. (I've always maintained "generous to a fault" personally). Unlike Pharmstrong and friends who used bike sales to fund their PED program......

Jagers said:
Sold for profit?!? Where are your FACTS to back this statement up anyways?!? He actually has GIVEN most of them away to charities or events NOT for profit. Anyone who knows Greg personally truly understands his generosity. (I've always maintained "generous to a fault" personally). Unlike Pharmstrong and friends who used bike sales to fund their PED program......

um. i believe you mistake macroadie's tone. it was tongue in cheek and full of irony. correct me if i'm wrong.

TRENDING THREADS