• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greipel leading out Cav ... a marriage made in heaven

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
will Greipel (as long as Renshaw isn't fully recovered) play second fiddle to Cav all season?

You know, I think we’re staying open on that," said HTC-Columbia team owner Bob Stapleton. "André is a selfless teammate, he’s willing to do that, which I think is remarkable. I think it would strike fear in the heart of a lot of teams to think of those guys riding together in the Tour. We should certainly consider it.

"We’ll probably put them in some races together to see how they perform," he added. "If you remember back Renshaw and Cav weren’t an immediate hit, they didn’t have immediate success, it took a few races to learn how to work together."

I've already caught myself muttering to a friend, "man, I wish Greipel and Cavendish were on different teams."

Greipel is fast enough that he should be a sprint captain somewhere. I'm still not really sure why he stayed at Columbia.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
One benefit of being the No. 2 sprinter at Columbia might be the support you get. In the second choice races you do get, everyone works for you, and it's the best quality support there is for a sprinter (although Sky also seem to be well organised).

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
This arrangement has happened before, of course...

dv323551.jpg

Skip Madness said:
This arrangement has happened before, of course...

After the falling out that happened after that stage... with Greipel suggesting that if Cav wasn't quick enough to come around him then perhaps he shouldn't always be the no1 sprinter in the team and Cav of course crying like a baby, I'd have written off any chance of those two working together again.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
sTTevie said:
will Greipel (as long as Renshaw isn't fully recovered) play second fiddle to Cav all season?

Sprinters generally have big egos. for a guy of griepel speed why would he seriously stay at columbia when he's going to be held back. I'm surprised Stapelton seriously thinks that their won't be some in fighting for leadership especially with the 2 fastest men in the world on a bike.

Has anyone read "Boy Racer". Cav and greipel are not the best of friends especially with leading each other out.

auscyclefan94 said:
Sprinters generally have big egos. for a guy of griepel speed why would he seriously stay at columbia when he's going to be held back. I'm surprised Stapelton seriously thinks that their won't be some in fighting for leadership especially with the 2 fastest men in the world on a bike.

Has anyone read "Boy Racer". Cav and greipel are not the best of friends especially with leading each other out.

i think it is a nice problem for stapleton to have. i do not think greipel would be
asked to work for cav. i still question why greipel stayed, but you can see why.
they do separate events and it's all good. this TDF thing could get interesting.
i think greipel is , long term, a better overall rider. we shall see...

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
After the falling out that happened after that stage... with Greipel suggesting that if Cav wasn't quick enough to come around him then perhaps he shouldn't always be the no1 sprinter in the team and Cav of course crying like a baby, I'd have written off any chance of those two working together again.

sorry not sure thats accurate.......Cav led that sprint out and Greiple came around, and i remember Cav doing a bit of a sit up.........

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
lagartija said:
sorry not sure thats accurate.......Cav led that sprint out and Greiple came around, and i remember Cav doing a bit of a sit up.........

Certainly wouldn't hurt Cav to payback Greipel now and then. Builds good will.

Question though. Is Greiple a classics threat at all?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:

lagartija said:

Depends who you choose to believe. By most accounts this was a case where Cavendish just wasn't able to come around Greipel. But the British press saw this differently. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/346947/cav-gifts-giro-d-italia-stage-to-greipel.html

Considering how Cavendish acted then, and now, I don't believe he intended to let anyone but him win the stage.

To address the OP, I can't see Cavendish wanting Greipel on the TDF team. He has a great thing going with Renshaw and he REALLY wants to win the maillot vert. Why would he take a chance that he either won't gel with Greipel, or that Greipel would take some valuable points from him? My guess is that Cavendish will get his way, and that Greipel will be used elsewhere to rack up those wins that are so important to Stapleton.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Based on that video link... Cav definitely let him win.

He looked exactly the same at the end of the the stage in the Tour where Hincappie was trying to get yellow (and he got relegated). Constantly looking back to stay ahead of Thor rather then powering to the finish and costing George seconds.

That time he was looking for Bennati and trying not to take the win from Greipel. You don't keep looking back like that if you're trying to pass the guy in front of you.

I think there's one thing people might be missing. Greipel may honestly believe he cant' beat Cav. He might figure it's better to be in big races where Cav is not and win rather then come in second or third behind Cav in the biggest races.

If Cav were to say... leave for Sky in a couple of years... then Greipel would be the lead sprinter on the team with the best train... perhaps he feels he CAN beat Cav in that scenario.

what i think greipel should do is go to milram (assuming they find a new sponsor for next year). he is probably about the biggest name in german cycling right now and that team needs someone who can win a lot of races. although he is still young, ciolek has not really proven himself as an elite sprinter, whereas IMO he would be an excellent lead-out man for greipel

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
what i think greipel should do is go to milram (assuming they find a new sponsor for next year). he is probably about the biggest name in german cycling right now and that team needs someone who can win a lot of races. although he is still young, ciolek has not really proven himself as an elite sprinter, whereas IMO he would be an excellent lead-out man for greipel

Ciolek was viewed as better then greipel when he left Columbia. He was their #2 sprinter in 2008, Greipel was clearly #3.

The question has to be asked... how much of the success is the Columbia sprint train and how much is the sprinter? Are Greipel and Ciolek equivalent... with Ciolek just having moved to a lesser team?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Ciolek was viewed as better then greipel when he left Columbia. He was their #2 sprinter in 2008, Greipel was clearly #3.

The question has to be asked... how much of the success is the Columbia sprint train and how much is the sprinter? Are Greipel and Ciolek equivalent... with Ciolek just having moved to a lesser team?

Ciolek really dominated the 2007 Deutschland Rundfahrt sprints. He was clearly the best rider there, and in the 2008 Tour, leading out Cav, he looked the second fastest in the Tour.

In 2007 and 2008, Ciolek and Cav were about the number 1 and number 2 fastest in the peloton. Chicchi, Steegmans and Petacchi were up there.

Last year, felt Greipel, and Haussler were the fastest behind Cav.

Ciolek had to do a more safe medical program last year, cos Milram could not afford a scandal in Germany.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
last year i'd say Tyler and Pettacchi were just behind Cav when it came to out and out speed. thats why i'm looking forward to the Giro... real experts going head to head again.

Ciolek is an interesting rider and a has a similar style to Cavendish, sort of compact and head down and i reckon he can be very good eventually.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Based on that video link... Cav definitely let him win.

I don't know. At the start it looks like Cav is trying to stick with Greipel. It's hard to tell from those head on shots just how far the riders are separated. Maybe he let Greipel win, or maybe he only started looking around when he knew there was not enough road left to get around Greipel. Hard to say.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Ciolek is an interesting rider and a has a similar style to Cavendish, sort of compact and head down and i reckon he can be very good eventually.
I'd describe Ciolek's style as head down and up and down and up and down and up and down.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Skip Madness said:
I'd describe Ciolek's style as head down and up and down and up and down and up and down.

Ciolek has the speed to match Cav and has some good leadout guys (Roberts, Forster) but they need to utilise them better! Milram need to also stop supporting Linus gerdemann!

TRENDING THREADS