• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Greipel leading out Cav ... a marriage made in heaven

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
last year i'd say Tyler and Pettacchi were just behind Cav when it came to out and out speed. thats why i'm looking forward to the Giro... real experts going head to head again.

Ciolek is an interesting rider and a has a similar style to Cavendish, sort of compact and head down and i reckon he can be very good eventually.

Petacchi has gone back a bit. Farrar has improved for sure. I think Haussler showed the best speed beside Cav tho. In 08 Farrar won the sprint behind Gilbert in Paris Tours.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
blackcat said:
Petacchi has gone back a bit. Farrar has improved for sure. I think Haussler showed the best speed beside Cav tho. In 08 Farrar won the sprint behind Gilbert in Paris Tours.

Watch out for Vacansoleil in any races they get invites for. They'll have to depend on other teams' trains but R Feilleu will be delivering Borut Bozic to the front. It'll take a messy lead-up to the sprint, but if there's any whiff of chaos in the final 2kms they'll take full advantage of it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
what i think greipel should do is go to milram (assuming they find a new sponsor for next year). he is probably about the biggest name in german cycling right now and that team needs someone who can win a lot of races. although he is still young, ciolek has not really proven himself as an elite sprinter, whereas IMO he would be an excellent lead-out man for greipel

Couldn't have said it better myself. God knows the Germans need a hero to hang their hat on and I just can't get inspired by Gerdeman he's like watching the grass grow.

There will be no way Cav will want Greip on board for the TDF, the guy is so vain the focus will have to be him him him

595RED said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. God knows the Germans need a hero to hang their hat on and I just can't get inspired by Gerdeman he's like watching the grass grow.

There will be no way Cav will want Greip on board for the TDF, the guy is so vain the focus will have to be him him him

Personally I would like to see Greipel on another team as I always want to see the top guys go head to head whether its GT, sprinting, classics or whatever.

It really depends on what Greipel is happy with, winning lots of races but not racing the Tour for himself of taking the risk of going to another less well organised team but getting to ride the top races for himself.

How about a repeat of Baffi v Cipo in the 94 Vuelta, in the barriers!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Y_KOwa5pA

They were team-mates at Mercatone Uno and because of this crash, Cipo missed most of the season including the Tour. Adriano Baffi was not very popular at Mercatone Uno after this.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I don't know. At the start it looks like Cav is trying to stick with Greipel. It's hard to tell from those head on shots just how far the riders are separated. Maybe he let Greipel win, or maybe he only started looking around when he knew there was not enough road left to get around Greipel. Hard to say.

He obviously let off and started looking around to see if anyone else was close.

The question you can ask yourself is:

Is he looking around to make sure nobody passed him for second since he couldn't win?

or

Is he looking around to make sure nobody can pass Greipel for first... being ready to accelerate and win if anyone is close?

Considering he wasn't riding for the sprinter's jersey (he had no intention of finishing the Giro that year), it seems to me that the later is much more realistic. Cav has never struck me as someone who'd sprint for a lesser position unless he was trying to win a points jersey.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm waiting for when Greipel crosses the line before the Cav just to see Cav's little conniption fit. Anyone remember him crying like a spoiled brat OD'd on sugar during the 2007 tour w/ T-Mobile? Jeez, and he was a professional?????

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't put Big Greipel and Cavendish in the same team for the Tour becoz with Renshaw in the team, as if Cavendish needs Greipel there anyway?

Anyone think Cavendish will actually let Griepel win a stage if they are both in the bunch? I just can't see it happening...

Inner Peace said:
I wouldn't put Big Greipel and Cavendish in the same team for the Tour becoz with Renshaw in the team, as if Cavendish needs Greipel there anyway?

Anyone think Cavendish will actually let Griepel win a stage if they are both in the bunch? I just can't see it happening...

but renshaw is sick with a virus, looking to miss a lot of training and racing, and from what I understand might possibly not be ready in top form for the Tour. think that's the reason they're considering greipel for a leadout.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
zapata said:
but renshaw is sick with a virus, looking to miss a lot of training and racing, and from what I understand might possibly not be ready in top form for the Tour. think that's the reason they're considering greipel for a leadout.

oops my mistake

hope he gets better, he was a super lead out last year, especially on the Champs-Elysee!

still, Cavendish surely would not allow Griepel a stage win would he?

Andre would just be there to lead out and nothing else, right?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
if Renshaw is not fit for the Tour that will be a big loss. but it will be interesting if Greiple rode the tour also, i dont see him leading out Cav again though.

Columbia may regret losing Boasson Hagen to Sky because he could do that role very easily. so maybe Cav will end up there in the future so who knows..

the thing about Pettachi is maybe the speed is dropping off slightly but he still is a very clever and class rider. Cavendish must have learned a lot from riding against him in the Giro. i suppose the Tirreno-Adriatico is when we see them match up again...

TRENDING THREADS