• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grippy winter training tires? 700 x 23 only!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey comrades,

Up here in Toronto's autumn and winter, I'm dealing with leaf litter and muck and ice (soon). I like my Serfas Seca tires, but they just don't feel grippy enough on all of this cold season stuff.

Problem is I can't get bigger tires on my Tirreno Razza 1000. The rear only takes a 700 x 23 or smaller.

Thus, I'm looking for a grippier (treaded?) 700 x 23 tire for autumn and winter. Maybe the Vittoria Zaffiro?

In solidarity,
Dylan

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Grippy?

I have a pair of 25mm Zaffiro that I use for training and I like them, but now way are they enough for winter, unless you only ride on clean roads.

i ride in Montreal, and only ride to get to work in the winter, no bike training. This bike is a modified hybrid bike with 700cc wheels, but MTB clearance. So I slap on some 38mm Nokkian carbide studed tires. I saved the bike from trash and mounted used parts I had...

But I'v seen Michelin cyclocross tires as small as 30mm. But smaller?

Best gripping 23 or 25? try Schwalbe Blizzard, but Saffiro will do...

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Continental GP 4-season would be my suggestion, mostly a weat-weather tyre. I would suggest a 28 or 32mm true winter tyre. I have Michelin Jet X-tyres on my utility bike. They are nice for the combination of rough pave, wet, and sand - but are untested by me on snow or ice.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Studs

If you have to ride on ice, get the studs, you won't regret it. Here in Calgary, studs are indispensable on some winter days. The major downside is the high rolling resistance of these tires, although weight is also an issue. I use a Salsa Las Cruces 'crosser as my winter rig. I find that most of the time, I can get away with the front studded only, while the rear is a standard studless, both in 700x35c size. I also find that lower pressures help when grip is an issue. I weigh 70 kg and I commonly run as low as 45 - 50 psi in winter. Honestly, I don't know anything in 700x23c that will grip on ice and snow.

TRENDING THREADS