• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

groups

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Did anybody see when the separation occurred between the Basso group and the Menchov group, and why it happened? Versus sucks. Anyway I would have sworn that the Basso group would have out-dueled the Menchov group; but the opposite happened.

Thanks,

Andre

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Guessing AS accelerations blew apart the field. LL said he was lucky to grab onto the menchov group.

VS is beholding to the same camera angles as other outlets so it's understandable why they miss these tidbits in a blown out selection

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Andre.J said:
Did anybody see when the separation occurred between the Basso group and the Menchov group, and why it happened? Versus sucks. Anyway I would have sworn that the Basso group would have out-dueled the Menchov group; but the opposite happened.

Thanks,

Andre

No, but I'm pretty sure the Menchov group was just plain faster. Also, Basso was doing all the work in his group, while Gesink was getting moderate help from Rodriguez.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Andre.J said:
Did anybody see when the separation occurred between the Basso group and the Menchov group, and why it happened? Versus sucks.

To be fair - and don't ask me why I am - Versus gets its video feed from the same place everybody else does and then comments over it. If it wasn't broadcast live by the provider then the commentators would have no idea it happened.

You could just as easily comment on wondering what happened to the breakaway between the summit and the last 800m...

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
To be fair - and don't ask me why I am - Versus gets its video feed from the same place everybody else does and then comments over it. If it wasn't broadcast live by the provider then the commentators would have no idea it happened.

You could just as easily comment on wondering what happened to the breakaway between the summit and the last 800m...

Trust me, I stream Eurosport coverage and have Versus on at home on telly. Versus has 4 commercial breaks to Eurosports 1 break. 2 days ago they missed Armstrong crash. Then went to break right as Armstrong blew.....amongst many other important things.....like todays misses!

But come on Phil and Paul should have known there was a group in between AS, conti and the Basso, Armstrong group for the exact reason that Lance was till there. Lance would have been tryingto drag Levi back up if he had been dropped.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I am constantly amazed at how little former pro bike racers seem to know about bike racing. OK, you're allowed a few mistakes, you had a lapse of attention for a second, you're working off someone else's feed - but come on! Don't you have any feel for what is going on?!?

The groups were pretty much a reflection of how long various riders managed to stay with the tempo that Astana set and it also depended a bit on exactly where the gaps in the original split happened. It seems that there was very few changes in position after that apart from domestiques falling through the field when they were done or got caught from the break.

the vagabond said:
I am constantly amazed at how little former pro bike racers seem to know about bike racing. OK, you're allowed a few mistakes, you had a lapse of attention for a second, you're working off someone else's feed - but come on! Don't you have any feel for what is going on?!?

Well, if they are new to broadcasting then perhaps they can be forgiven since it's a completely new vantagepoint for them but I'm amazed at people who have commented races for many years and still don't know the first thing about what they are doing. It's almost as though some people aren't even interested enough in the sport to do their homework.

I guess I'm just spoiled to have some really great commentators on swedish eurosport.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
My sympathies to anyone whose only Tour feed is watching the three stooges on Worsus. Someone should slip Phil, Phool and Tool a laptop running Eurosport so they could follow what was happening when the race starts heating up. I expect their priority for the next few days will be to keep America and Radioshack happy by generating plenty of Levi rah-rah.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
2wheels said:
My sympathies to anyone whose only Tour feed is watching the three stooges on Worsus. Someone should slip Phil, Phool and Tool a laptop running Eurosport so they could follow what was happening when the race starts heating up. I expect their priority for the next few days will be to keep America and Radioshack happy by generating plenty of Levi rah-rah.

........believe me it's started with a 'how strong American cycling is now' segment. 4 pro teams and the massive Columbia/Garmin rivalary (huh?). Tour of Cal. etc on the prime show 2nite. Versus cut the crap. And cut the ads. Its like watching commercials being interuped by bike racing!!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
........believe me it's started with a 'how strong American cycling is now' segment. 4 pro teams and the massive Columbia/Garmin rivalary (huh?). Tour of Cal. etc on the prime show 2nite. Versus cut the crap. And cut the ads. Its like watching commercials being interuped by bike racing!!

Oh, thank God I didn't have to sit through that. Score one for life without a TV.

TRENDING THREADS