• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guess Who - Game

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
Has he ever won the belgian cx champs?

Yes, he has.

Finished on the podium of a pro cx world cup?
Did he ever ride on a WT/PT team?

Did he ever race a Grand Tour?
Is there a professional race (either CX or road) named after him?
Did he/does he have any relatives who were also professional cyclists either on the road or in the field?

None of the five (for the last question, I'll trust Dewielersite.net)

Re:

Sorry Libertine but when Jaylew asked about wins, he clearly referred to "races". So individual rounds! When he asked about podiums, he did not specify it but I interpreted it likewise.

jaylew said:
Ever win a cross World Cup race as a professional?

So it cannot be Marc Janssens who won two World Cup races, one in Loenhout (93/94) and one in Heerlen (96/97). :)

I however realize that Lemon's question might be misinterpreted as well. Hmm okay, I'll say it straight, I did not understand it as a Belgian nat in the pro elite category but in any category (well the other pro elite national champions don't fit with the description anyway). So now, you know that it's not with the pros that he won it but I'm sorry if you interpreted it that way. :)

Re:

Tall (above 180 cm)? No. (that's way too tall for a cyclocross rider :eek: - Edith tells me that several crossers are taller actually, but it's not my rider's case)
Did he have hair when he was active? Yes, lol.
Does he have a Wikipedia page? Yes
- In English? No
- In Dutch? Yes

Paul Herygers? He won several World Cup races, has a race named after him and won the Belgian Nats with the pros (my rider won the Nats but NOT with the pros). So, no it isn't. :)

Getting warm but it's not Davy Commeyne :)

Commeyne is still active, I think and 184cm.

My rder had a bit of road time too but not more than the average crosser did. After all every cross rider races road but you know that, L-S. ;)

Now I can't tell if he has hair now because I haven't seen any recent picture of him, lol.

Echoes said:
Getting warm but it's not Davy Commeyne :)

Commeyne is still active, I think and 184cm.

My rder had a bit of road time too but not more than the average crosser did. After all every cross rider races road but you know that, L-S. ;)

Now I can't tell if he has hair now because I haven't seen any recent picture of him, lol.
Yea, but I actually remember some of Commeyne's road achievements, compared to a lot of the other people we're going to be talking here that stands out, because we're not talking the same kind of profile a 'cross rider as others whose road achievements I particularly remember, such as Mourey or Albert.

Geert Wellens?

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Wim Jacobs?

:) Yes, that's him.

Why I came up with him, a few years ago, I watched the docu-soap "Wellens & Wee" (perhaps the only reality show I've ever seen in my life) around the SpaarSelect team with Bart Wellens as leader of course, in his glory days, later to become Fidea. These were the years 2003/2004 to 2005/2006.

I really liked Wim because he looked discrete, always smiling and polite (not the showing off kind like Wellens!). And since I got very interested in cyclocross by 2007, and watched the show afterwards, for years I just asked myself, what the hell happened to Wim Jacobs ??

And then I realise that by the start of season 2006/2007, he had been mercilessly sacked by Hans van Kasteren, the Fidea manager, for lack of results. Mind you, a lack of results for Hans means: 9th overall in the Superprestige (incl.: 3rd in Ruddervoorde, 6th in Sint-Michielsghestel, 10th in Gieten, 13th in Diegem and 6th in Vorselaar) and 10th in the World Cup leg in Kalmthout. If he were racing today with such results that he got in his last season for Fidea, he would definitely have found a new contract but from 2007 on he raced as an elite without contract. And I discovered after starting the game that he tested positive in 2009 but I don't know for which substance: http://www.mudandcowbells.com/blog/2009/4/20/wim-jacobs-schwap-heres-your-suspension.html Sad news! I guess it must have been the poor man's doping...

Anyway sorry for giving you such a hard to find rider but actually I really wanted get more info about how he ended his career. If anybody reading this game has, I'd appreciate. That was the purpose of this guesswork for me. :)