• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guido Bontempi

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
guido

I remember him very well, for many years he was the "conductor" of the autobus. He was such a great sprinter in his day. Back then I used to coach some junior riders and I would stand near the finish line and when it was time for them to sprint I would shout. "Guido! Guido!" Thanks for making me think of him.
Steve:cool:

Guido! And his last name almost translates into "Goodtime"! How perfect of a name is that!

Big, strong rider. Used to push a huge gear a lot of the time. Won some classics, and I believe the points jersey in the Giro in the mid-80's. Way cool rider. Thanks indeed for the memory.

1644.jpg

Alpe d'Huez said:
Guido! And his last name almost translates into "Goodtime"! How perfect of a name is that!

Big, strong rider. Used to push a huge gear a lot of the time. Won some classics, and I believe the points jersey in the Giro in the mid-80's. Way cool rider. Thanks indeed for the memory.

1644.jpg

That's "Goodtimes" Alpe...

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I never got to meet Bontempi as I am in the states and it wasn't very often that the Big European Stars came over. But out of the few that I did meet during the 89 Tour of the Americas, Pedro Delgado was one Hell of a nice guy. I was very surprised at how accessible the riders were. They all seemed to be nice, but Delgado in particular was cool. Got a photo with him, signed my hat and gave me one of his gloves.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:
I was very surprised at how accessible the riders were. They all seemed to be nice, but Delgado in particular was cool. Got a photo with him, signed my hat and gave me one of his gloves.

That's what's so great about cycling, the accessibility. Truly amazing!

I still remember that I was asked for directions by the entire CSC team in 2002 when the Giro started in Groningen. They were lost downtown...

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:
I never got to meet Bontempi as I am in the states and it wasn't very often that the Big European Stars came over. But out of the few that I did meet during the 89 Tour of the Americas, Pedro Delgado was one Hell of a nice guy. I was very surprised at how accessible the riders were. They all seemed to be nice, but Delgado in particular was cool. Got a photo with him, signed my hat and gave me one of his gloves.

only knew bontempi in the later part of his career 92 tour was the first tour i watched and he took stage took stage five or six (I still have it on vhs tapes).
raced with vino, Kivilev and andrey mizourov when the kazac national team (still amatures then) came out to race in south africa in 1996. It was a ten day tour and i finished more than a hour behind them by the end of it. Still could not have met nicer guys. Gave on of my mates a gc point and k.o.m jersey. (they cleaned out) as well as a national jersey signed by the whole team. (probably still wearing it on sunday rides)