• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Haematocrit levels.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Quick question. I was under the impression the 50% rule had changed.
If it has can anyone explain how and provide a link as to how.

If it hasn't can anyone let me know. Cheers peeps.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Accidentally found what I think is the answer:

JV1973 said:
Certain new fixed blood values were in use starting in 2004...ie off-score of 133+ and you're out. also, obviously, the homologous transfusion test was in place in 2004. Individual profiling, ie looking at individual variation and comparing that to standard deviation, was not in use in 2004. The focus of ACE in 2008 and the current blood passport model is deviation of the individual's values from his norms. not fixed, standardized cross-population values such as 50% hct or 133 off-score.

here's a little factoid too: hematocrit hasnt been seen as big factor in anti-doping for quite some time. its all about hemoglobin and retic relationships. the 50% hct rule hasnt been in place for a while, as any small sample transport delay or exposure to heat can really mess with hct% by swelling the cells or even popping them. However, Hemoglobin is stable for much longer.