• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hamilton gone for 8 years

May 6, 2009
Visit site
From the front page:

American retired without a fight after second doping positive

American Tyler Hamilton has accepted an eight-year suspension for a second doping positive, the US Anti-doping Agency (USADA ) announced Tuesday. Hamilton tested positive for an "testosterone or its precursors" the agency said in a press release.

Hamilton's ban began on March 17, 2009, the date of a provisional suspension. He announced that he would retire from the sport in April of this year after he tested positive for the banned steroid Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Hamilton admitted to knowingly taking the substance which was an ingredient in a vitamin supplement he took in an attempt to alleviate depression.

The result was his second doping offense. He served a two-year suspension for blood doping after testing positive for a transfusion in the 2004 Vuelta a Espana.

"In the sport of cycling, eight years ineligibility for a 38-year old athlete is effectively a lifetime ban, and an assurance that he is penalized for what would have been the remainder of his competitive cycling career," said Travis T. Tygart, USADA CEO.

So when is the book coming out? My bet is just before the 2010 TdF.

A

Anonymous

I hope he gets cleaned up. It seems obvious to me he in particular has a problem larger than just having gotten caught. I said this on another forum, but I think he wanted to get caught just so it all would be over. Addicts do that many times.

Thoughtforfood said:
I hope he gets cleaned up. It seems obvious to me he in particular has a problem larger than just having gotten caught. I said this on another forum, but I think he wanted to get caught just so it all would be over. Addicts do that many times.

Agreed - my own armchair Dr. Phil analysis is that he's got a substance abuse problem. Hope he gets his stuff together.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Sure it is very likely he was jacked in the 2003 TdF but I have always remained a fan of him from what he did in that race. You can as much EPO as you like or blood dope, it is still impressive to be able to ride in the Alps or Pyrennes and do it well, the pain would still have been very painful.

Pretty much see the same thing, Thought. He's also at a very fragile mix as he comes off like a sensitive guy from a very competitive sport that's very dirty, who suffers from serious depression, and had essentially a substance abuse problem.

I too felt hugely let down by him, and his attitude post 2004 really grated on me, and he was likely one of the bigger doping offenders during that time. But I'm truly hoping he can get the real help he needs. It would indeed be gut wrenching terrible to log on here one day and find out like Pantani, he's gone.

I should note I think the 8 year ban is fair. He could have been banned for life. But I don't know what good that would have done. He's never going to race again, and if he's ever going to coach on some level, eight years is a very long time from now.

The UCI statute of limitations is 8 years. So yes, I suppose if he's going to really spill his guts - and I do think it would probably relieve a huge burden from him by doing so - 2012 would be the year I guess. Let's hope if he does write a tell-all book, it is honest, and after he's gotten his life straightened out, whatever year that happens to be.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Pretty much see the same thing, Thought. He's also at a very fragile mix as he comes off like a sensitive guy from a very competitive sport that's very dirty, who suffers from serious depression, and had essentially a substance abuse problem.

I too felt hugely let down by him, and his attitude post 2004 really grated on me, and he was likely one of the bigger doping offenders during that time. But I'm truly hoping he can get the real help he needs. It would indeed be gut wrenching terrible to log on here one day and find out like Pantani, he's gone.

I should note I think the 8 year ban is fair. He could have been banned for life. But I don't know what good that would have done. He's never going to race again, and if he's ever going to coach on some level, eight years is a very long time from now.

The UCI statute of limitations is 8 years. So yes, I suppose if he's going to really spill his guts - and I do think it would probably relieve a huge burden from him by doing so - 2012 would be the year I guess. Let's hope if he does write a tell-all book, it is honest, and after he's gotten his life straightened out, whatever year that happens to be.

I too felt let down by his initial doping positive, and even more so by his reaction. He always has seemed like he a really nice guy. Everything I have ever read about his personality confirms that. I think in the long run, this may be the best thing for him. It sounds to me by some of the things said immediately after this positive that he may be getting help.

Sounds too like Landis is having a rough time from some things posted over at DP by people who ostensibly appear to know him. Sounds like there may be some depression etc there too.

That is the difference between someone like Hamilton and HWMNBN. The latter has no conscience about it all. He appears to be constitutionally incapable of such things. Everything I have read about his personality confirms that.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I was always a Hamilton fan. Just seemed like a genuinely nice guy that happened to be a great rider.
I was glad to see him ride well in the Olympics and Tour, and then win the stars & stripes last year in his comeback.

I hope he gets the help that he needs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I really liked the guy. Irrespective of his fuel, his solo effort at the TdF was amazing, especially given the fact that much of his competition was on the Skittles too.

BUT, I think it should have been a lifetime ban, which USACycling should have made every effort to extend into all cycling competition. Not just because I don't want to see him in the Master's division at the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in 2018, but because IMHO, it'd be better if he just put competitive cycling behind him, period - no second thoughts 10 years from now. Start a new life.

Best of luck, TH.

Landis too I think is capable of writing a tell-all book. His, and especially his legal team and manager's behavior during his USADA hearing was pathetic and inexcusable, and I won't apologize for it one bit. But I think if one reads his book (half fiction), and followed his career the way I have, you might say the same. He's apparently broke, his wife divorced him against his wishes, and he's sleeping on a lot of couches. I think it's in Floyd's core to someday tell the truth, and like Tyler, it would relieve a huge weight from his shoulders.

In the meantime, Floyd is still racing, with marginal results at best, which is way off for someone with such a big engine.

Yes I do hope Tyler can get help and get his life straightened out. It would be nice to hear him talk when the time is right, and see him smile in a decade riding his bike in charity rides.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
That is really sad what has happened to Landis. I wouldn't agree with his actions during his trial and I'm convinced he was doped (I read an article in Bicycling Australia that suggests he would of needed about 12 standard drinks to have enough testerone in his system as well as enough facts to prove Landis was a load of ****) when he "won" his stage, but I wouldn't wish it on anybody that he is struggling mentally and somewhere to live.

But it really tells me a lot about his (ex) wife.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Tyler I dont believe to be "fragile."

The 8 year suspension will not make him want to "come out" and become a whistleblower guys... His agent called the "pointless fight against the anti-doping regime" a joke.... USADA is corrupt to the core by the way too. If he did write a book it would not be about doping me thinks.... But it would be funny if it was. :)

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Landis too I think is capable of writing a tell-all book. His, and especially his legal team and manager's behavior during his USADA hearing was pathetic and inexcusable, and I won't apologize for it one bit. But I think if one reads his book (half fiction), and followed his career the way I have, you might say the same. He's apparently broke, his wife divorced him against his wishes, and he's sleeping on a lot of couches. I think it's in Floyd's core to someday tell the truth, and like Tyler, it would relieve a huge weight from his shoulders.

Get real. Who would really buy a tell-all book ? We buy dreams not reality. Gary Coleman sleeps on couches and pumps gas. Nobody wants to know about him except when he rolls out a "what you talkin about Willis"............. and nobody wants to know Floyd until he makes a massive comeback to the ProTour and wins the Tour again. Simple as that.

The biggest "problem" is that if either of these guys wrote a tell-all doping book, it would not be taken seriously by the sport, and they would be completely shunned in every aspect from cycling, especially teams and many fellow riders, but also from a lot of fans (right Joe?). So in that aspect, it is more likely that Tyler's therapy from confessing to doping will be to his therapist, only. It's got to really grate on Floyd that he knows he didn't dope anymore than anyone else, and rode the race of the decade, and got singled out and banished. But that doesn't mean he'll tell the world.

However, if there's some sort of shift, and the bullsiht continues to pile up like it is in the sport, and they feel the need of public adulation and they feel the only way they can get it is from letting the world know, and a book might get them some much needed money...who knows?

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
The biggest "problem" is that if either of these guys wrote a tell-all doping book, it would not be taken seriously by the sport, and they would be completely shunned in every aspect from cycling, especially teams and many fellow riders, but also from a lot of fans (right Joe?). So in that aspect, it is more likely that Tyler's therapy from confessing to doping will be to his therapist, only. It's got to really grate on Floyd that he knows he didn't dope anymore than anyone else, and rode the race of the decade, and got singled out and banished. But that doesn't mean he'll tell the world.

However, if there's some sort of shift, and the bullsiht continues to pile up like it is in the sport, and they feel the need of public adulation and they feel the only way they can get it is from letting the world know, and a book might get them some much needed money...who knows?

Hmmmm I don't know. Back to my child stars analogy. They don't come out and tell the would how they were mistreated then spat out by the system they just descend into personal drug abuse or get arrested. Cycling is the same and full of these characters.

Floyd writing a book on how he doped would be dead boring. “You know we were about to ride stage 13 to Luz Ariden and after breakfast we each received a transfusion then went out a rode the stage”. I think I'd fall asleep reading that !

embankmentlb said:
He is one creepy dude. Always reminded me of a serial killer of the Ted Bundy type.

Maybe he became that way in later years, but he was a normal kid when we roomed together at montgomery bell in 1995 (i could pass for normal then, too, however). I remember watching a James Bond marathon on TBS between stages at Fitchburg that year... Doping and the measures one goes to to facilitate doping and cover it up with in turn f'you up.

Alpe d'Huez said:
T...they would be completely shunned in every aspect from cycling, especially teams and many fellow riders, but also from a lot of fans (right Joe?)...

Right.

Some of the comments I received:

"fuking rat!!!!!!!!"

"Pittsburgh is a city of champions, and you did disgrace all of us from the \'burgh"

"Awhhh thanks Joe for posting something about me on your blog;) Seeing as it\'s by invite only there must be someone on the inside that thinks you\'re a cheat and a liar like I do. Believe me if there\'s a way to keep reminding you of your wicked ways I\'ll be doing weather it\'s 19 months or 19 years down the road. Again your lack of character will follow you the rest of your life. How ever shortened that maybe due to the **** you put in your body...Cale McAninch"

"I want to ask you if someone broke into your house and stole your HIg Def TV or if someone broke into your bank account through identity theft and stole thousands of dollars, don\'t you think that thief should go to prison? Why aren\'t you in jail? And also, why do you keep referring to the DRUGS you took as medicine? "

"Dopers Suck! Sincerely, Cale McAninch"

etc...

ho-hum

Thoughtforfood said:

Yes, his real problems lie elsewhere. Hope he re-finds himself. But it will probably be extremely difficult as many "fallen stars" have demonstrated.

I hope the guy manages to sort his life out too. I'm sure the guilt gnawed at Pantani, and drove him to the excesses that were documented in his final months. It's a mistake to think that cyclists who cheat have no conscience. Conscience is hard wired in us.

He made foolish decisions. If he'd taken it on the chin and accepted his original adverse finding, he'd be might even have been back on a ProTour team by now.

It's the deny, deny, deny attitude that is bad for the athlete personally, and also turns fans against the athlete.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
I hope the guy manages to sort his life out too.

I don't. I hope he ends up OD'd, half masted, in a cheap hotel room with some low grade smack and a picture of Riis's bald scone next to him.

There are French riders out there who are finishing top 20 at races who don't get anywhere near the publicity scumbag Hamilton gets.

Do you realise that there are people in poor nations who actually need EPO and can’t afford it ? and losers like Hamilton was injecting it up like water. He should have donated all that gear he used to the poor. Then he'd get my sympathy.

Good riddance.

Animal said:
I hope the guy manages to sort his life out too. I'm sure the guilt gnawed at Pantani, and drove him to the excesses that were documented in his final months. It's a mistake to think that cyclists who cheat have no conscience. Conscience is hard wired in us.

He made foolish decisions. If he'd taken it on the chin and accepted his original adverse finding, he'd be might even have been back on a ProTour team by now.

It's the deny, deny, deny attitude that is bad for the athlete personally, and also turns fans against the athlete.

I read Rendell's "The Death of Marco Pantani" over the course of a couple of days. Holy smokes. I was surprised how the author contended that putting Pantani back on the bike actually HASTENED his death. When at athlete is facing true mental illness, riding as anything other than exercise and therapy (as opposed to brutal, euro-pro competition!) was made to sound like a recipe for speeding up the process of self-destruction.

whiteboytrash said:
I don't. I hope he ends up OD'd, half masted, in a cheap hotel room with some low grade smack and a picture of Riis's bald scone next to him.

There are French riders out there who are finishing top 20 at races who don't get anywhere near the publicity scumbag Hamilton gets.

Do you realise that there are people in poor nations who actually need EPO and can’t afford it ? and losers like Hamilton was injecting it up like water. He should have donated all that gear he used to the poor. Then he'd get my sympathy.

Good riddance.

FU! "Good riddance?" Same to you.

TRENDING THREADS