• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

has a GT ever been won because of time bonuses before this vuelta?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm asking this question because if it weren't for time bonuses the Vuelta GC would have Froome in the lead by 19 seconds by my calculations.

The only other occasion that i think it would have been close was the 2007 tour where Contadors winning margin would have been reduced to 3 seconds rather than the 23 he won by if there hadn't been time bonuses.

So has anyone ever actually ridden the course in a slower time than someone yet still beaten them for the overall win?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I think contador would not have been ahead if it wasnt for time bonuses, but then if there was no time bonuses the riders tactics would be different so it isnt really a fair question

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
palmerq said:
I think contador would not have been ahead if it wasnt for time bonuses, but then if there was no time bonuses the riders tactics would be different so it isnt really a fair question

I think he would have won with one second as he only lost time to Leipheimer in the time trials(and made exactly one second more up in the mountains and hills than what he lost in the time trials). But he also crashed somewhere in that Vuelta and lost some time on a normal stage, don't remember too well anymore. But that Vuelta had way too many flat stages though.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:

I went back and did the sums and contador would still have won by 3 seconds which is why I think that is the nearest example previous to this vuelta which is where it looks likely to happen. So i was wondering if there was an example where it had happened before this vuelta.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I think he would have won with one second as he only lost time to Leipheimer in the time trials(and made exactly one second more up in the mountains and hills than what he lost in the time trials). But he also crashed somewhere in that Vuelta and lost some time on a normal stage, don't remember too well anymore. But that Vuelta had way too many flat stages though.
You are probably right, I cant really remember, but I know the time bonuses made a big difference in that vuelta. Obviously riders ride differently if there are time bonuses or not, so cobo might only win due to the time bonuses but I think if it was not for the time bonuses he would have been far more aggressive in the last few stages... so who knows what will happen, it is not a fair question in the end.

I think contin would have own that vuelta whatever the rules where, but obviously he rode with the time bonus rules in his mind..

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
Leipheimer and Contador were exactly in the same time in the end.

Also in the 2007 Tour Contador was in real time only a few seconds quicker than Evans IIRC.

That's interesting when I went back to look at that tour I only compared Contador to Evans. I didn't realise that Leipheimer would have actually got the same time as AC without time bonuses

The nightmare for time bonuses would be if the top 2 came 2nd and 3rd and the overall winner won by say 3 seconds.

Then the winner of the stage gets disqualified after the race.

So on that stage they get moved up to 1st and 2nd.

So now theres a 8 second gap between time bonuses and rider B moves above rider A.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
Different rules, different racing, different results. You can not just take the time bonus away and claim someone else would have won.

of course you can! then you would have a thread like this one. we could then ignore 3 whole weeks of racing where consequential time gaps are made out on the road. the race was not won or lost on angliru, the long itt, the ttt or whatever.

it was the time bonuses man!

this is pretty standard. folks like to write different rules for the race and declare the 'real' winner.

my other favorite is the "if there were no team time trial my favorite rider would be on the podium" thread.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
of course you can! then you would have a thread like this one. we could then ignore 3 whole weeks of racing where consequential time gaps are made out on the road. the race was not won or lost on angliru, the long itt, the ttt or whatever.

it was the time bonuses man!

this is pretty standard. folks like to write different rules for the race and declare the 'real' winner.

my other favorite is the "if there were no team time trial my favorite rider would be on the podium" thread.

Okay, strictly speaking you can claim anything you like but in reality it means absolutely nothing.
Nothing!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D