• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has doping harmed YOUR health?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Lots of us have ridden seriously. I am sure some of us doped or 'have a friend' who doped. My question is, did your or your 'friend's' doping damage your health? Either at the time or now.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
Lots of us have ridden seriously. I am sure some of us doped or 'have a friend' who doped. My question is, did your or your 'friend's' doping damage your health? Either at the time or now.

I can count of at least 10 riders without thinking about others who I rode with in the 1960"s who are dead most with stomach cancer the ones who didnt take the stuff are still riding or enjoying their retirement.

Some died with liver cerossis from drinking after cycling but I claim 10 who I know used horse steroids and other stuff from the vet.
Long gone are the days when we would down 1/2 a bottle of cough mixture at the start line of a TT. What was in it we dont know but the chemist "Bloody Mary" would make it up for us. Give me something to make me go faster,

OK we rode some fantastic times but couldnt sleep for two days after

There is life after cycling. enjoy it

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
I can count of at least 10 riders without thinking about others who I rode with in the 1960"s who are dead most with stomach cancer the ones who didnt take the stuff are still riding or enjoying their retirement.

Some died with liver cerossis from drinking after cycling but I claim 10 who I know used horse steroids and other stuff from the vet.
Long gone are the days when we would down 1/2 a bottle of cough mixture at the start line of a TT. What was in it we dont know but the chemist "Bloody Mary" would make it up for us. Give me something to make me go faster,

OK we rode some fantastic times but couldnt sleep for two days after

There is life after cycling. enjoy it

Horse steroids were being still being used by some I knew in the late '80s. they were acquired on trips to Mexico. I've lost touch with those guys (although one still races ProTour) but I heard one has stomach problems too of the cut your guts out type. Not sure if it's linked but you have to wonder

A friend noted me this week that half of the main dozen riders of former Peter Post team have already passed away, well below the life expectancy for Dutch males. This friend was a great fan himself, but has strong second doubts about these statistics.

laziali said:

Yes. Health complications "at the time," at various times.

But - I expect my life expectancy has been shortened, too.

I'll spare you a repetition of details already shared/discussed, but doping definitely harmed my health (though except for two acute instances, I intentionally kept myself as blind as possible to the negative physical/mental health consequences).

May 26, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Yes. Health complications "at the time," at various times.

But - I expect my life expectancy has been shortened, too.

I'll spare you a repetition of details already shared/discussed, but doping definitely harmed my health (though except for two acute instances, I intentionally kept myself as blind as possible to the negative physical/mental health consequences).

are you going to do anything or have you done anything about get health checks in relation to what you took?

Benotti69 said:
are you going to do anything or have you done anything about get health checks in relation to what you took?

I follow a policy of complete disclosure now w/ any medical professionals from whom I seek treatment, and I depend on them to advise me on the value/necessity of testing/monitoring my health independent of that which would already be undertaken, out of concern for possible doping complications.

I think the fact that there isn't a good understanding of what the long-term consequences are of even "controlled" doping or micro-dosing w/ doping products means that it's difficult to make firm conclusions about whether or not a condition now/later is derived from actions taken 10 years ago, for example.

Like...what if I develop cancer next year? After all, in 2010 I had a benign, non-cancerous lump of cells (cyst/tumor/legion) cut out of my chest. If the next one is cancer, is that to say it was caused by doping, when there's a significant family history of cancer? How do you figure that out?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Like...what if I develop cancer next year? After all, in 2010 I had a benign, non-cancerous lump of cells (cyst/tumor/legion) cut out of my chest. If the next one is cancer, is that to say it was caused by doping, when there's a significant family history of cancer? How do you figure that out?

Very sobering. I wish you well.

It makes me wonder if there is any sort of official process that pro riders go through, when they sign to a major team for the first time, in regards to doping issues and the potentially destructive side?

What comes to mind is the NBA and NFL who, I'm fairly certain, have all rookies go a through a course (maybe just a single class?) to talk about finances and other aspects of "being a pro" that need to be addressed and taken into consideration.

Does anything like this exists for cylists? If not, would it be plausible to establish some sort of mandatory education on the (if nothing else) physical risks and dangers of doping? Something that all pros, upon signing their first contract, would have to be subjected to?

Granville57 said:
Does anything like this exists for cylists? If not, would it be plausible to establish some sort of mandatory education on the (if nothing else) physical risks and dangers of doping? Something that all pros, upon signing their first contract, would have to be subjected to?

Don't believe that there's anything required by the UCI in exchange for a racing license. However, to its credit USA Cycling required coaches receiving their highest accreditation to undergo an anti-doping education session at the US O.T.C. as part of the licensing process.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hard to be objective, not knowing the extent of pathological change in oneself. Under a microscope it gets more real. I've seen cases of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy as a result of steroid abuse, leading to serious cardiovascular risk and premature deaths.
I've also had cycling acquaintances that, having gained bulk from roids, went for the slimming effect of amphetamines, and ended up as bona fide junkies.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
I follow a policy of complete disclosure now w/ any medical professionals from whom I seek treatment, and I depend on them to advise me on the value/necessity of testing/monitoring my health independent of that which would already be undertaken, out of concern for possible doping complications.

I think the fact that there isn't a good understanding of what the long-term consequences are of even "controlled" doping or micro-dosing w/ doping products means that it's difficult to make firm conclusions about whether or not a condition now/later is derived from actions taken 10 years ago, for example.

i suppose you cant. there are no certainties.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i suppose you cant. there are no certainties.

On a person-by-person basis, you certainly can't draw any conclusions about health outcomes from doping.

However, if it were possible to get a lot of ex-pros like Joe together in one anonymous study where all of the guys and gals reveal all to their doctors, it might be possible over time to work out a very informative, longitudinal study.

If the UCI and/or WADA and/or the IOC are really serious about the health of athletes, they might try to organize and encourage athlete participation in such a study.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
On a person-by-person basis, you certainly can't draw any conclusions about health outcomes from doping.

However, if it were possible to get a lot of ex-pros like Joe together in one anonymous study where all of the guys and gals reveal all to their doctors, it might be possible over time to work out a very informative, longitudinal study.

If the UCI and/or WADA and/or the IOC are really serious about the health of athletes, they might try to organize and encourage athlete participation in such a study.

because so many guys were part of the omerta and protectors of it even when they were caught, they would probably not take part in such a study even though it would be to their benefit.

i would be surprised if the cyclists who dope over their professional sporting life dont suffer some kind of ill health.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
because so many guys were part of the omerta and protectors of it even when they were caught, they would probably not take part in such a study even though it would be to their benefit.

i would be surprised if the cyclists who dope over their professional sporting life dont suffer some kind of ill health.

Again, the idea is for everything to be anonymous. Riders' doctors would submit information about the patient to the heads of the study, but they would not submit names. The doctor actually communicating with and attending to the (ex-)athlete would be bound to normal doctor-patient confidentiality rules.

The authorities (UCI/WADA/IOC) would simply be encouraging athletes to ask their doctors to forward nameless info to a study.

Still, I agree that omerta is very, very strong. I also think what Joe mentioned about himself--the fact that he purposefully distanced himself from knowledge of his own health risks while doping--illustrates a powerful psychological response that might discourage many from participating, despite the likely benefit to themselves and other athletes.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
An experiment with PEDs

laziali said:

This has developed into a really compelling thread. Good call.
I've been waiting for the appropriate thread to drop this article into. This seems like a good place.

From Outside Magazine 2003
Everybody knows that many athletes cheat by using performance-enhancing drugs like steroids, testosterone, and EPO. But what is it like to take these banned substances? Do they really help you win? To find out, we sent an amateur cyclist into the back rooms of sports medicine, where he just said yes to the most controversial chemicals in sports

Very interesting read.
http://outsideonline.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

Interesting stuff from Joe. but as advances in medicine continue, and as Joes body is no longer dealing with these products, as time goes by, its possible that doctors will be able to limit the damage caused.

Does anyone know any cyclists who doped and died from sudden death syndrome?

I remember a guy from world strongest man Jesse Marunde- died suddenly a few years ago. I remember it well because Marunde was popular for being very friendly to all his opponents, immediately applauding them if they beat him etc. While I dont know if he did dope, this is a sport which is percieved to have heavy steroid use, and Marunde was very succesful, so it may have been behind his sudden cardiac arrest in 07.

i think this happens a bit in Wrestiling. I heard a few years ago that Eddie Guerrero, who was around when i was watching in the late 90's, died suddenly, and that they atributed this to previous heavy drug use - both recreational and performance enhancing. Then there was a thread on here a few months ago about some wrestler called Lance who died.

something diffefrent and extreme, but related to this thread , is the the case of Guerreros on screen and real life friend- Chris benoit, who totaly contrary to his character, did a murder suicide on his wife and child. This was a big story i remember, and i heard it said, that it was heavy use of steroids that contributed to his heavy depression and ultimately, his fall into mental instability. Could steroids really cause that mich harm?

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Interesting stuff from Joe. but as advances in medicine continue, and as Joes body is no longer dealing with these products, as time goes by, its possible that doctors will be able to limit the damage caused.

Does anyone know any cyclists who doped and died from sudden death syndrome?

I remember a guy from world strongest man Jesse Marunde- died suddenly a few years ago. I remember it well because Marunde was popular for being very friendly to all his opponents, immediately applauding them if they beat him etc. While I dont know if he did dope, this is a sport which is percieved to have heavy steroid use, and Marunde was very succesful, so it may have been behind his sudden cardiac arrest in 07.

i think this happens a bit in Wrestiling. I heard a few years ago that Eddie Guerrero, who was around when i was watching in the late 90's, died suddenly, and that they atributed this to previous heavy drug use - both recreational and performance enhancing. Then there was a thread on here a few months ago about some wrestler called Lance who died.

something diffefrent and extreme, but related to this thread , is the the case of Guerreros on screen and real life friend- Chris benoit, who totaly contrary to his character, did a murder suicide on his wife and child. This was a big story i remember, and i heard it said, that it was heavy use of steroids that contributed to his heavy depression and ultimately, his fall into mental instability. Could steroids really cause that mich harm?

Yes I think so. I have known a 65 year old who did bodybuilding comps in his forties and took roids like no alternative existed (which is a sad insight on bodybuilding). He was the most aggressive character I ever met. And whats more he was sniffing cocaine and cheating on his wife with 18 year old girls at 65 years old. He was a priceless character but those 'roids really altered his mental balance.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:

The massive metabolic load of being a professional with out drugs should also be considered as a potential source of deleterious reactive oxidative stress in comparison to the general modern lifestyle in developed countries.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
online-rider said:
Yes I think so. I have known a 65 year old who did bodybuilding comps in his forties and took roids like no alternative existed (which is a sad insight on bodybuilding). He was the most aggressive character I ever met. And whats more he was sniffing cocaine and cheating on his wife with 18 year old girls at 65 years old. He was a priceless character but those 'roids really altered his mental balance.

So the take home message is never quit taking the roids and coke?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think most athletes even realize that doping could be harmful. They are probably told that it's totally safe at the doses they are instructed to take. Athletes who find out that this isn't necessarily true, yet remain silent, are selfish cowards imo.

TRENDING THREADS