• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has Eddie lost it?

so who knows more of pro cycling?eddy the canibal merckx/some random guys from the internet?i rest my case...

i'm with eddy on this one minus the thing with alberto giving away stages.even he says that maybe that helps you and people won't hate your awesomeness that much.

jens_attacks said:
so who knows more of pro cycling?eddy the canibal merckx/some random guys from the internet?i rest my case...
Merckx says incredibly dumb stuff on a regular basis.

Anyway, in principle I agree with this:
If a doctor says that they need recovery products, then they do.
Can we have a non-team doctor decide that? Can't the UCI (non-corrupt, alternate universe version) assign a doctor to each team and have them make the calls, banning team doctors from the races? Impossibly expensive, I suppose.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
Who's to say Eddie ever had it? Just because he is the greatest cyclist in history does not make the the smartest. Not by a longshot. He has made some incredibly ridiculous statements in the past.
Please don't ask me for links.

Here's just one:
Belgian cycling legend Eddy Merckx has added his support to Oman’s bid to host cycling’s annual world road race championships in 2015.

“From here to 2015, Oman will have the experience necessary to host the world championships.”
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/eddy-merckx-lends-support-as-oman-vies-to-host-2015-world-championship_160760

Regarding the OP, here's a couple more:
Armstrong always regretted having left the victory on the Ventoux to Marco Pantani.
Like that has ANYTHING to do with what took place at this year's Giro. Last time I checked, Contador wasn't too concerned with having people say, "Oh yes, Alberto, bravo! That's exactly how Lance would've behaved, and we applaud you for that!" :rolleyes:

You have to love this one:
What will he do if one of the Schlecks or Wiggins attacks him right at the start?
LOL!!!

I'm sure Contador stays up at night fretting over what to do if Frank or Bradley "attack him right at the start." As for Andy? For some reason I doubt that the team strategy will have him jumping ahead of Alberto "right at the start." But if he does, I hear that Contador is pretty good in the mountains. And from what I understand, there is more than one in this year's TdF.
OMG, what will he do!?!?!?! :eek: :D

Eddy: Great champion.

Eddy: More annoying with every passing year.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Define 'recovery products'. And if a rider 'must' have recovery products after a stage, perhaps he should be withdrawn on health grounds?

On this, Monsieur Eddie is talking through his old skool Molteni cap.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Chuffy said:
Define 'recovery products'. And if a rider 'must' have recovery products after a stage, perhaps he should be withdrawn on health grounds?

On this, Monsieur Eddie is talking through his old skool Molteni cap.

eddy merckx...

the rider that had the biggest benefit with drugs, the person that represents the "problem" with this sport.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
eddy merckx...

the rider that had the biggest benefit with drugs, the person that represents the "problem" with this sport.

What? so he did drugs and tested positive a few times. That happened to everybody back then. Jesus christ!

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
What? so he did drugs and tested positive a few times. That happened to everybody back then. Jesus christ!

exactly...

but he is worse.

he is talking sh*t since 1965 judging pretty much anyone he wants because he is the "king" and anyone that comes close to one of his records is dirty\has to be dirty.

they can't come close to him\to his records "clean"... but he was always doped, taking much more advantages from drugs and the system than his opponents, always with the "top notch" stuff, and because of that, he will be considered by someone stupid (lots of people) the best ever...

how fair is that?

the champions of any era must have a different personality to dominate the pain that they must endure in order to be better than the others, they must have the desire to be the best ever in order to become the best of their generation.

but there is merckx... saying "if you want my place, you know what to do. i have the plebe by my side... find a new drug, a new way to dope in order to beat my records, otherwise...well, you will be in my shadow".

please.. i am sick of reading posts stating how awesome he was.. drinking alcohol and do that hour!!jeez... he was so cool!---- anphetamines you morons!! do you know the effect of them especially after\before drinking alcohol??rocket fuel!! unless you are as stupid as tom simpson, and die.------i condemn merckx.
-------------------------------------------------------------

not to mention the rules of today... 2 years ban from a positive.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't aware that people today had such strong issues with Merckx! I'm not a fanboy, just the regular cycling fan. and yes i recognize Merckx as the greatest ever, but so do a lot of people. I'm too young to have witnessed him ride, Maybe history has been kind to him. I really don't care that much, so many years has gone by, it's only natural for people to appreiciate he's great achievements and forget the rest.

The same thing will happen to the legacy of Armstrong. Who would care about Armstrong getting paid millions of dollars for participating in a small race down under 30 or 40 years from now? Answer: No one. The kids of tomorrow will remember him as the 7 time tour winner. although the ongoing federal investigation could tarnish this legacy a great deal. Not that I care one way or the other.

LOL!!!

I'm sure Contador stays up at night fretting over what to do if Frank or Bradley "attack him right at the start." As for Andy? For some reason I doubt that the team strategy will have him jumping ahead of Alberto "right at the start." But if he does, I hear that Contador is pretty good in the mountains. And from what I understand, there is more than one in this year's TdF.
OMG, what will he do!?!?!?!

Eddy: Great champion.

Eddy: More annoying with every passing year.
________

Thanks. That cracked me up:D

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
eddy merckx...

He may actually not have been the rider with the biggest benefit. But with many things said by Eddie; half makes sense and half is filtered through his view of the world, circa 1968 or so.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
c&cfan said:

Oh, look. The Lance crew is once again trying to apply the doping policy of the 2000's to the 70's in order to minmize Armstrong's fraudulent results. Merckx would have won the Tour multiple times if he and the entire peloton was clean. Lance would never have placed in the top five. That makes Lance the biggest benficiary of drugs.

Merckx is living in the past. I giggle at the thought of Wiggins attacking Contador, not just at the start of the race but at any point in the race.

TRENDING THREADS