• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has the Lanterne Rouge ever placed in the finale?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering today
5th Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Française des Jeux

GC
156 Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Française des Jeux 4:16.27 behind

maybe he was holding back the whole tour

:D

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
In 1999 Jacky Durand would have been on the awards podium in Paris, and was also Lanterne Rouge (combativity). It's pretty easy to find stage winners but a little harder to find the top three of stages. It's not far fetched at all, many of the guys who are in the competition for the sprint stages are also in the running for the lanterne rouge.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I can't remember where I read it, but on one stage of the Tour the lanterne rouge at the time beat Eddy Merckx for a stage win. I will look to see if I can locate the story.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hwttdz said:
In 1999 Jacky Durand would have been on the awards podium in Paris, and was also Lanterne Rouge (combativity). It's pretty easy to find stage winners but a little harder to find the top three of stages. It's not far fetched at all, many of the guys who are in the competition for the sprint stages are also in the running for the lanterne rouge.

Combativity and Lantern rouge?

Btw, good to see that pellizotti won the overall Prix de la combativité.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
It's not that big of a deal. Some of these guys are content to save their energy at the back of the group with only designs on a stage win/placement.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hwttdz said:
Jacky Durand won the most competitive rider, which put him on the podium. He was also lanterne rouge, sorry if that was unclear.

ah ok, now I get it. I thought you were onto something new, as I read your post equating LR with Combativity (since it followed in brackets...)

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Lanterne Rouge who beat Merckx

Pierre Matignon, a French rider, won Stage 20 of the 1969 Tour de France (to the Puy-de-Dome) when he was the last-placed rider.

Matignon was competing with another Frenchman, Andre Wilhelm, for the Lanterne Rouge, but after Matignon fell so far behind overall, Wilhelm attacked on Stage 20. After he was caught, Matignon attacked and had a 7:30 lead with 20km to go. Eventually Eddy Merckx joined the chase, and only Raymond Poulidor and Paul Gutty could stay with him.

Matignon won by 1:25, too exhausted to give a victory salute. But Wilhelm ended as the Lanterne Rouge, and Merckx, of course, won the Tour.

This is from the book The Yellow Jersey companion to the Tour de France, edited by Les Woodland, a great book for Tour history. But you can also look at Matignon's wikipedia article for more.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
CerveloFan said:
Pierre Matignon, a French rider, won Stage 20 of the 1969 Tour de France (to the Puy-de-Dome) when he was the last-placed rider.

Matignon was competing with another Frenchman, Andre Wilhelm, for the Lanterne Rouge, but after Matignon fell so far behind overall, Wilhelm attacked on Stage 20. After he was caught, Matignon attacked and had a 7:30 lead with 20km to go. Eventually Eddy Merckx joined the chase, and only Raymond Poulidor and Paul Gutty could stay with him.

Matignon won by 1:25, too exhausted to give a victory salute. But Wilhelm ended as the Lanterne Rouge, and Merckx, of course, won the Tour.

This is from the book The Yellow Jersey companion to the Tour de France, edited by Les Woodland, a great book for Tour history. But you can also look at Matignon's wikipedia article for more.

Thanks Cervelo Fan, I have been looking for it and couldn't find it.