• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Haussler vs EBH

Who would win in a breakaway sprint between HH and EBH?

• Neither, everyone knows they both suck.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Two of the most popular riders from last year, Heinrich Haussler and Edvald Boasson Hagen are also rather similar types of riders. They both have good sprints and have also been known to at times do very early pushes in the last km. But yet, they have never really gone head to head against each other.

So now the question is, who would win? Who would be faster or at least able to outmaneuver the other? Let's forget about bunch sprints because in those there are too many other factors that matter.

Imagine instead a break away in a high prestige race where a group of five riders are sure to come to the finish together. Boassson Hagen and Haussler are both in the group and the other three are much poorer sprinters so they are just there to make it a little tactical.

Who would win?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
good question.

Boasson is precocious. Haussler has about 3 years on him.

Haussler was the fastest last year, behind Cav. I thought it was Cav, Haussler, Chicchi and Greipel.

Boasson has lots of speed. Speed to burn. I think he has the ability to win GC like Cancellara won Suisse and Voigt in Deutschland.

It depends on what Boasson is doing in training, if he is training his sprint, he may well displace Hendo as their go to man at the Tour. I hear Hendo was promised a start.

If Boasson trains his sprint, I do not know if I can separate Haussler and Boasson.

Boasson is faster than Thor already imo, but learning how to handle yourself, in a GT bunch sprint, is another thing, can Boasson sprint for wins in field sprints. Brailsford promised him alot, and I do not think Boasson will want to work for Hendo, if he has the speed to compete.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
For a sprint I have to give the edge to HH. I guess we will see but I'm thinking EBH is going to look at stage races rather then stage wins, but he's young so we may see him grab some glory now and then.

Doesn't really mater, I like them both and would love to see them duke it out.

Thanks for the great post!

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
For a sprint I have to give the edge to HH. I guess we will see but I'm thinking EBH is going to look at stage races rather then stage wins, but he's young so we may see him grab some glory now and then.

Doesn't really mater, I like them both and would love to see them duke it out.

Haussler for mine - for sprints, classics and stage wins, but not necessarily stage race GCs. San Remo last year was a class act and I do not remember the last time anyone soloed to a TdF stage win by +4 minutes as HH did into Colmar last year .... but hey bring it on!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Nearly said:
Haussler for mine - for sprints, classics and stage wins, but not necessarily stage race GCs. San Remo last year was a class act and I do not remember the last time anyone soloed to a TdF stage win by +4 minutes as HH did into Colmar last year .... but hey bring it on!

Yes I agree!!! The best win of the year in my books and him crying like a little girl was so..... I don't have the words to describe it, just made it real for me.

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
good question.

Boasson is precocious. Haussler has about 3 years on him.

Haussler was the fastest last year, behind Cav. I thought it was Cav, Haussler, Chicchi and Greipel.

Boasson has lots of speed. Speed to burn. I think he has the ability to win GC like Cancellara won Suisse and Voigt in Deutschland.

It depends on what Boasson is doing in training, if he is training his sprint, he may well displace Hendo as their go to man at the Tour. I hear Hendo was promised a start.

If Boasson trains his sprint, I do not know if I can separate Haussler and Boasson.

Boasson is faster than Thor already imo, but learning how to handle yourself, in a GT bunch sprint, is another thing, can Boasson sprint for wins in field sprints. Brailsford promised him alot, and I do not think Boasson will want to work for Hendo, if he has the speed to compete.

Some good points, apart from one glaring error, calling the much overrated Chicchi as 3rd favourite ahead of Greipel, Petacchi, Ferrar, Bennatti, and possibly a few others. Greipel was probably a tad faster than Haussler - Hausler is defo not a bunch sprint guy, more like a go a few metres from the line and hope to hang on

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
no?

Haussler won a Dauphine field sprint in 2008. He was the fastest by along way in Paris Nice in 2009.

Chicchi was the fastest in Paris Tours by about 3 lengths in 2007, when Petacchi won. Then he has beaten Cav in 2008 in Missouri, and would have had him in De Panne the same year, but he was undergeared. Petacchi said when they were at Fassa, Chicchi used to beat him at training camp.

Fastest does not necessarily mean winning, or winningest. Lots of riders are fast, but cant win. Haussler never got to sprint after Paris Tours, he worked for Thor. But he showed he was the fastest on that squad.

What will be interesting is the development of Theo Bos.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
As far as I know, EBH has never finished worse than 1. in a small group sprint, except from a 2. place when he was 18.

You're absolutely right.
Can't forget one specific stage at the Tour of Poland last year when Greipel was THE man supposed to jump from EBH's wheel at the end of a beautifully executed HTC-train pre-finish, but didn't have the power at EBH's speed to pedal past him. Lots of German egg on his face. EBH is a winner, and he may have a lot to learn, as well as his current team, as to strategy, but give him a couple of seasons, have a seasoned road-captain along, and he'll be savvy enough to claim a lot of victories.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
That, according to Greipel, was because he messed up and chose too big a gear. Pretty sure Greipel is faster than Hagen.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Greipels mom aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars

That's when Greipel will beat EBH!

LOL

Don't see Hagen as a bunch sprinter, and hope he doesn't plan on becoming one. (He has, after all, admitted that he really doesn't like sprinting in big bunches.) He's very quick, and as allrounder and classics-rider,solo or sprinting from smaller groups, he'll hopefully continue to do really well. But I still suspect that if we ever see Greipel and Hagen head to head in standard, flat-stage bunch sprints, that's when you'll see Greipel beating him.

Hagen vs Haussler, I'm unsure, pretty equal? THINK haussler might have the edge, but if they're ever in a group together, it'll probably come down to timing, who opens the sprint, in what position. (one thing about hagen: seems to me that once he's at his top speed, he's able to keep it up for longer than many others before fading?)

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "this is as obvious as the 'Armstrong vs. Merckx' threads;" but, if you're only interested in the results of a small group sprint--not overall rider quality--then I suppose anything could happen (and, yes, EBH is Merckx in this analogy).

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
And, speaking of HH: while I have the utmost admiration for Haussler's recent willingness to 'live like a monk' in order to get the most out of his body, I get a lot more enjoyment from seeing Tom Boonen prove that some people are so damn good that they *don't* need to stop partying to win the Classics.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Don't see Hagen as a bunch sprinter, and hope he doesn't plan on becoming one. (He has, after all, admitted that he really doesn't like sprinting in big bunches.) .........

Hagen vs Haussler, I'm unsure, pretty equal? THINK haussler might have the edge, but if they're ever in a group together...

Boonen a Qatar above the rest in the Stage 3 bunch sprint - HH 2nd (some pretty neat sprinters behind him); EBH 48th.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
EBH.

HH is doomed to build an extensive list of 2nd and 3rds.

I don't think so. Haussler has only cracked the surface of his potential (Likewise for EBH). Assuming he's not wasted leading out Thor next year. He'll be a force in the Classics. Remember his TdF stage 13 win into Colmar? He had over 4 min on the rest of the field.