• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Heads up on forthcoming doping website

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dopeology.org is now live!

OK, folks! The moment has finally arrived. Ta da!

Dopeology.org

jrs56x.jpg

It actually went live a few days ago. It should work more or less on all modern desktop browsers, iPod and iPhone. Beyond that, who knows?

Test, enjoy, comment and please report bugs. ;)

Thanks to everyone here who took an interest in the development process. :cool:

I just took a cursory glance, but it looks very thorough. One suggestion: there could be a section devoted to the science behind the tests. Much of the information is probably already there in the links that you have posted, but it would be nice to be collected in one section. Or maybe it is and I missed it?

Merckx index said:
I just took a cursory glance, but it looks very thorough. One suggestion: there could be a section devoted to the science behind the tests. Much of the information is probably already there in the links that you have posted, but it would be nice to be collected in one section. Or maybe it is and I missed it?

No, you were right. There isn't a section on the science because I wouldn't know where to start that subject. :)

Back when I first posted this thread, I invited contributions. Sadly nobody was interested at that time.

I know from your posts that the science is your thing, so how about it? I'd be happy to publish with full credit provided that you're OK with a creative commons licence! :cool:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
OK, folks! The moment has finally arrived. Ta da!

It actually went live a few days ago. It should work more or less on all modern desktop browsers, iPod and iPhone. Beyond that, who knows?

Test, enjoy, comment and please report bugs. ;)

Thanks to everyone here who took an interest in the development process. :cool:

Excellent.
I just had a quick glance and it is a great resource. I know I had some notes on certain years and incidents, I will be happy to share.

L'arriviste said:
As I have mentioned before in this forum, I've personally spent the last year or so working on a project to log all doping-related incidents in the European pro road scene since 1980.

The project was partly inspired by some unsourced mudslinging on this forum in July last year and the fact that, certainly in the English language anyway, pro cycling deserves a good doping almanac.

Sneak preview

**edited by mod ***
In the future I may expand the dataset beyond Europe, to include 'cross, track and mountain bike and earlier than 1980 but I would need help to do that and for now I had to limit my enquiry due to the size of the task at hand.

The product of my work will be a strictly non-commercial dot org and its content will be Creative Commons.

How Clinicians can help

Of course, this is my project and I curate it, but I would prefer it eventually to become a collaborative exercise. Here's where you come in!

I'm very close to releasing the website now but all that raw data is lacking some prose. I'm looking for a small number of short but scholarly essays on subjects within the domain of pro road doping, to be fully credited to you (or your avatar ;)) but otherwise satisfying the CC licence.

I'm particularly interested in illustrated chronologies of testing and/or scandals (for example, we had an excellent chronology posted here a long time ago as reproduced in PDF by red_flanders, but I have been unable to trace the original author, who posted it on a now-defunct Team Saxo Bank forum) but I would also welcome opinion pieces, as well as discussions on specific subjects and cultural problems.

Anyway, if you'd like to contribute an essay or if you know somebody who might, please PM me with your chosen subject. Given the amount of effort that gets put in here at times, I wouldn't think that was too difficult for many of you.

Once the website is live, I'll post the URL here. I would also welcome any and all corrigenda, additions and sources for any information or incidents I may have overlooked (of which there are doubtless many). The facility to do that will be available on the website.

Thank you for your help!

L'arriviste

Get legal advice from a media lawyer after reading all you can about the legal risks involved. Be prepared for the day a rich obsessive type A doctor sues you because he doesn't like the article implying he used steroids. Or the day when you get a takedown letter or a demand letter from a lawyer. You'll be much more comfortable if you've been briefed on the legal landscape. Good Luck!

MarkvW said:
Get legal advice from a media lawyer after reading all you can about the legal risks involved. Be prepared for the day a rich obsessive type A doctor sues you because he doesn't like the article implying he used steroids. Or the day when you get a takedown letter or a demand letter from a lawyer. You'll be much more comfortable if you've been briefed on the legal landscape. Good Luck!

Thanks for your advice! I don't actually have any plans to put editorial materials on there. At base I'm just collecting together other (press) sources. I'm not taking any position myself, just saying 'hey, this is what's out there on this particular subject.'

L'arriviste said:
Thanks for your advice! I don't actually have any plans to put editorial materials on there. At base I'm just collecting together other (press) sources. I'm not taking any position myself, just saying 'hey, this is what's out there on this particular subject.'
it's very cool what you've done -- thank you!

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Great resource, really love its design!

My first recommendation would be to create a filter section. I want to make a list of positive tests in 2010 and 2011. In the current design it is impossible to collect this information efficiently. I searched "positive test" in the Data>Incidents section and it did nothing, so I guess that is a bug.

bicing said:
Great resource, really love its design!

My first recommendation would be to create a filter section. I want to make a list of positive tests in 2010 and 2011. In the current design it is impossible to collect this information efficiently. I searched "positive test" in the Data>Incidents section and it did nothing, so I guess that is a bug.

Thanks for your comments! :)

At the moment, the incident search just covers the incident names, so yes it's quite limited.

For now though you can re-order the table of Incidents by clicking on the column headings. A set of results including those you wanted could be shown like this:

http://www.dopeology.org/incidents/list/by:type|order:asc|batch:40|page:15/

The project will of course continue to develop, so I'll take everyone's comments into account.

A

Anonymous

looks good.

only slight design critism i would have is that the default pages are just a tiny bit long for those of us still on 1280x800 but to be fair, the only thing below the fold is the ccl details

Looks good.

on glitch. Abdoujaporov seems to have multiple entries for the same clenbuterol positive (7 at last count)

also: when you have gone into a particular product, clicking products on the left side menu does not take you back to the product overview.

Surprised Levi isnt in there for his Ephedrine positive

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
The site is as aseptic as it comes. If people want to know what substances to use and how to do it, they'll go to some shady message board on hooraysteroids.com or somesuch.

Does it condemn doping anywhere on the site? The blurb is about sharing the techniques and substances the pros use without casting judgement. This is much more useful info for cyclists than going to bodybuilding sites.

It's peculiar to me why someone would be THAT obsessed with the subject.

[The site] doesn't share techniques. And it doesn't condemn doping because it's not an editorial site, but a database. Do you think police files talk about how mean and bad their suspects are? No, they stick to the facts. It's their job.

<dons Dr Maserati Helmet of Zen>

I'm not obsessed with doping. I'm a fan of pro cycling, history and sharing knowledge. Plus I model information professionally so it's an outlet for that too.

I would like to see doping eradicated completely but that would require either a sudden and bizarre U-turn towards an incorruptible purity of collective soul or else a completely controlled, hermetically sealed society.

Both of these are pretty unthinkable, the latter case thankfully so. Doping has always existed (the Ancient Greeks even complained about it). It's better that we try to understand it. I'm certainly not trying to glorify it. If you would like to quote some examples where I've done that, I'd be happy to look at them again.

What's also important, I think, is to remind folks that I myself have not produced anything new. I have not conjured events that did not happen. Indeed, with the strict business rules I apply, some incidents that did happen must go unrecorded as a result. I have scrupulously avoided editorialising events. To that extent, there is now an interesting debate going on at another thread about the nuances of incident labelling, which is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see happen.

There are already fantastic resources out there in German and French (I don't hear anybody criticising them), but quite apart from the gap in English language resources, the prevalence of doping has never been subjected to a systematic, reusable historical analysis, so I wanted to make my own (limited) attempt to do so.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
<dons Dr Maserati Helmet of Zen>

I'm not obsessed with doping. I'm a fan of pro cycling, history and sharing knowledge. Plus I model information professionally so it's an outlet for that too.

I would like to see doping eradicated completely but that would require either a sudden and bizarre U-turn towards an incorruptible purity of collective soul or else a completely controlled, hermetically sealed society.

Both of these are pretty unthinkable, the latter case thankfully so. Doping has always existed (the Ancient Greeks even complained about it). It's better that we try to understand it. I'm certainly not trying to glorify it. If you would like to quote some examples where I've done that, I'd be happy to look at them again.

What's also important, I think, is to remind folks that I myself have not produced anything new. I have not conjured events that did not happen. Indeed, with the strict business rules I apply, some incidents that did happen must go unrecorded as a result. I have scrupulously avoided editorialising events. To that extent, there is now an interesting debate going on at another thread about the nuances of incident labelling, which is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see happen.

There are already fantastic resources out there in German and French (I don't hear anybody criticising them), but quite apart from the gap in English language resources, the prevalence of doping has never been subjected to a systematic, reusable historical analysis, so I wanted to make my own (limited) attempt to do so.

Chapeau! You have made an amazing website that many people love dearly! And the design is suuuuuuuuuuuuuperb!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS