• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Heinrich Haussler

Mar 11, 2009
cycling.ownforum.org
I was thinking about Milano-Sanremo. In the interview with Heinrich on CyclingNews.com he said he was in form. Now I'm thinking would he play a role in Milano-Sanremo. This season he showed his talent, he won this season even a stage in Paris-Nice. I think he will become a good rider and he is realy talented

What do you think about Heinrich Haussler?

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
We were just talking about him at CN HQ. He's certainly in good form right now and his confidence will be sky high. However, there are two points (possibly more) hanging over his credentials for this race. Firstly, 298K is a long, long way, so it's not like a stage of Paris Nice. Secondly, he has Thor Hushovd in the team, who is arguably a stronger rider. So, while Haussler is in with a chance, I wouldn't put him down as the number one favourite...

... Now that I've said that he'll probably win.

Dan

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If he gets good support from his team mates and a good position in the sprint group - he can possibly win the race. He is definitely a top contender!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
He is having a great year so far and I would like to see him get a big win. In Paris-Nice he also showed he can also climb so if he is in small group that attacks and gets away on the climbs I think he has a great chance. But if it comes down to a bunch sprint he will be working for Thor.

Ya, I certainly do hope he'll be working for Thor. In his interviews it seems almost as though he's more focused on his own performance. The worst thing that could happens is what happened in Credit Agricole during the 2003 Tour with Stuart O'Grady and Hushovd where Hushovd was arguably the stronger sprinter but O'Grady still kept going for his own sprints instead of helping Thor. That ended in neither of them succeeding.

Hausslers chance comes if Hushovd can't stay at the front up the Cipressa or Poggio and at the moment I'm not too sure he can. On the first couple of stages of Tirreno-Adriatico Hushovd was dropped in the final climbs towards the end while other sprinters like Bennati, and Petacchi managed to stay in front.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I like the way Cervelo have started this season, including Haussler. I suppose you could argue they HAD to show early form to get various invites but it's been impressive how quickly the team have bonded and are picking up results.

As said on here though, I reckon they'll be looking for Thor to win this rather than Haussler. I'd imagine he'll be the "wild card" option kept in reserve in case anything bad happens to Hushovd.

I think it might be a bit too long a day for Haussler (so I left him off my picks). The same might be true for a few of the other less robust 'sprinters' (like Cavendish). I think this is one for Bennati or Petacchi with Hushovd having an outside chance if the stars align... but that's the fun the road will decide!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Yep, I agree that it may be a bit too difficult for Cav to keep in touch. Being English I hope he does... but I doubt that he will.

I make Boonen the favourite but have a feeling Pettachi will be close.......

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Haussler has a good chance to perform well in milano - Sanremo. He's one of the best climber of the sprinters (especially in the form he is at the moment). Probably a bit better as Hushovd, I think.
We will see...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I think it might be a bit too long a day for Haussler (so I left him off my picks). The same might be true for a few of the other less robust 'sprinters' (like Cavendish). I think this is one for Bennati or Petacchi with Hushovd having an outside chance if the stars align... but that's the fun the road will decide!

I am sorry HH and MC are nothing like each other in charateristics, you are talking Oranges and Lemons, sure, they are both Fruit (Sprinters) but HH just doesn't have the explosion, but he is much better with endurance, can sprint for twice as long, and is more likely to be there after a few bumps in the road.
In another thread I said I like him, I said I feel he will support Thor if they are all together, but I also think that he may try and be up in the break that will (try) to form 60 km out, to give CTT the best options.
HH is an absolute star of the future, and what is more in 2010 he gets to ride for Australia :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
I am sorry HH and MC are nothing like each other in charateristics, you are talking Oranges and Lemons, sure, they are both Fruit (Sprinters) but HH just doesn't have the explosion, but he is much better with endurance, can sprint for twice as long, and is more likely to be there after a few bumps in the road.
In another thread I said I like him, I said I feel he will support Thor if they are all together, but I also think that he may try and be up in the break that will (try) to form 60 km out, to give CTT the best options.
HH is an absolute star of the future, and what is more in 2010 he gets to ride for Australia :)

When did he say that he will ride for Australia in 2010?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:

If it was a normal sprint haussler wont stand a chance against cav (i dont mean this in san remo, cav dont stand a chance in that!) but the comment about haussler springint twice as long is wrong in my eyes, some of the springs cavs had to win by going ridiculously early. if hausslers starts winning 10-12 top springs a year then fair doos-haussler will be a much better bet in the belgian classics i reckon

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
CyclingFan said:

He rejected a spot on the German team in Stuttgart because the UCI rules are that to change countries you cannot represent the other country for a 5 year period.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
CyclingFan said:

During the 2008 TDF coverage to Australian TV reporter. Even though he rides under a German Licence, he is considered an Aussie Rider...we are a funny bunch like that, we will claim anyone who wants to represent Australia in sport!:p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
If it was a normal sprint haussler wont stand a chance against cav (i dont mean this in san remo, cav dont stand a chance in that!) but the comment about haussler springint twice as long is wrong in my eyes, some of the springs cavs had to win by going ridiculously early. if hausslers starts winning 10-12 top springs a year then fair doos-haussler will be a much better bet in the belgian classics i reckon

Haussler is fast.

See stage 1 of Dauphine in 2007.

He also sprints longer that about all the riders in the peloton, bar Cavendish.

Ciolek and Haussler will give Cav hell. In a straight up sprint, Cav is probably 2 lengths faster, that is, two clear lengths, which is a difference of 3 lengths, faster than anyone over the last 200 metres.

But Ciolek and Haussler are stronger. If they get Cav's slipstream, and in the last 200, they could come by him. Like Farrar.

Goss is pretty fast also, and strong, he can handle tough parcours. He beat Pettachi last year, as a 21 yo, in Tour of Britain. Won't rival Cav tho.

Also a 21 yo Liquigas rider, tests like Cipo in the lab. Guanieri, Jacabo Guanieri.

Cav is imperious tho. Haussler should get leadership sooner versus later at Cervelo, then he will have more options. Haussler has won a raft of 2.1 field sprints, and came 25th in Roubaix when he was 21 and three months. Then about 21 and a half, 7th in Zurich.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Not riding track has probably hurt HH on the explosion of speed, but today's effort shows he is genuine quality, if only he had kept his line he would have won, but moving opened the door for Cav, and you can't give a guy like that any opportunities. (Cav was a real surprise packet to hang through the climbs so well, impressive)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
Not riding track has probably hurt HH on the explosion of speed, but today's effort shows he is genuine quality, if only he had kept his line he would have won, but moving opened the door for Cav, and you can't give a guy like that any opportunities. (Cav was a real surprise packet to hang through the climbs so well, impressive)

what is this myth on track speed. Tell Wiggins he should be contesting the bunch kicks.

The faster, heavier, stronger and more powerful riders are drawn to the track to ply their skill capacity. It may provide some cross-training benefit. Lactate buffering etc.

But tell Cipollini and Mcewen. Mcewen never really stepped on the track, he was riding some in his jnr/espoir, but never a national representative.

And there has rarely been a more explosive rider than Mcewen. Quaranta at his best could explode.

Haussler loses nothing from not riding the track. If riding the track was the solution to speed, Mcgee, Wiggins, Lancaster, Manning, Roberts, would all be world class bunch sprinters. They aint.

I'll bet there are a few :eek: people on this thread!
Fairly obvious Cav had done his homework from the Renshaw, last week.
This finish from Haussler is becoming his trademark and is ideal for MSR.

An interesting comment from Disco Tom, on this site's race reports, with regard to HH's form.....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
what is this myth on track speed. Tell Wiggins he should be contesting the bunch kicks. ...

And there has rarely been a more explosive rider than Mcewen...

...If riding the track was the solution to speed, Mcgee, Wiggins, Lancaster, Manning, Roberts, would all be world class bunch sprinters. They aint.
But McEwan DID ride track

That second list, not many sprinters there, persuiters, yes, and they make great short TT riders and lead out men:)

TRENDING THREADS