• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Helmets for the world champs in Geelong

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The UCI in Australia and Cycling Australia and Victoria Police will not allow the use of Helmets that don't have a Australian Standards label inside..

People who buy Helmets on the internet from Europe cant use them for racing in Australia unless they send them away and have them passed. This takes several weeks months.

What will happen when teams arrive in Australia for the Worlds champs and warm up races.

Will the Australian shops make a packet on new helmet sales or will CA turn a blind eye.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
The UCI in Australia and Cycling Australia and Victoria Police will not allow the use of Helmets that don't have a Australian Standards label inside..

People who buy Helmets on the internet from Europe cant use them for racing in Australia unless they send them away and have them passed. This takes several weeks months.

What will happen when teams arrive in Australia for the Worlds champs and warm up races.

Will the Australian shops make a packet on new helmet sales or will CA turn a blind eye.

Cervelo used Cateye helmets in the ToC and in the TdU and they are not cleared in either country. I assume it will be fine

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Australian Standards have reciprocal rights with some other international standards (the BSI comes to mind) so implicitly if your helmet passes a test (and it must be an identical test) it is allowed, while not all will have this I think you will find that most are covered. It is the same for Motor Racing (which I also compete in) There is the AS/NZ then there is a list of acceptable tests of other certifications

The BIG ONE is for Aero/TT helmets. I understand there is only one that passes the test (I think it is Specialized)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Another thing, there requirements may change because it is a closed road event.
Helmets to a Australian standard are part of road rules (are they not?) which are not relevant if the event is not on a public road. Then it comes down to Cycling Australia, and since these helmets are used in track I can't see an issue

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
Australian Standards have reciprocal rights with some other international standards (the BSI comes to mind) so implicitly if your helmet passes a test (and it must be an identical test) it is allowed, while not all will have this I think you will find that most are covered. It is the same for Motor Racing (which I also compete in) There is the AS/NZ then there is a list of acceptable tests of other certifications

The BIG ONE is for Aero/TT helmets. I understand there is only one that passes the test (I think it is Specialized)

Can you please provide a link to the statement in the regulations that says that? I hit this issue last year when I returned from time in the UK and when I was joining my local club they said (and this was backed up by someone at Cycling Australia):

"If it doesn't have the sticker you cannot race and if you are hurt training your CA license insurance will NOT cover you."

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
my understanding is that the requitements for aus standards helmets is a CA insurance issue, not a road rule issue (CA insurance says aus standards helmet, road rules says approved helmet... ie any standard)

either CA are not the overseeing body for the TDU (might be direct with UCI) or they have an exemption

worth noting that for state level track racing you need an aus standards helmet but on the same track if it is a world champs event you can use whatever approved helmet you want. the obvious ones to look at are the aussie sprinters who use those casco dome helmets for the top end racing but for the state level type stuff they are using normal approved helmets

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I was involved in organisation for the Australian Masters in Canberra last year and as we had a significant number of competitors using the event as a warmup to World Masters I was required to try and find a clear answer to warn competitors prior to the event.

CA directed me to the local police for a ruling, and they informed me that to allow non AU/NZ standard helmets in our event, we needed to apply for a specific permit, which was only valid for a specific time block AND a specific stretch of road. Anyone riding to the event, or riding outside the specified hours were technically breaking the law. In the end I ended up advising that all competitors must wear an AU/NZ approved helmet as it was not worth the effort or grief. Advice to competitors is below - taken from http://www.australiancyclingmasters.com --> FAQ

If I am an international rider, can I wear a helmet approved by my home federation?
No, All helmets, including time trial helmets, must conform to the AS/NZ 2063 standard,and have the sticker to indicate this. This applies to overseas competitors as well, as organisers were unable to get permission to use standards other than AS/NZ 2063 for the event. Please see technical regulations 3.2 (http://www.cycling.org.au/site/cycl...calRegulations/2009 Technical Regulations.pdf) for more detail. Commissaires will be enforcing this regulation and checking for stickers.

I can say that there were many competitors sent away from the start for not having a valid helmet and were sent scrambling to find one prior and begging and borrowing anyone nearby.

I can only presume that international riders are covered via a different set of rules or insurance, OR local governments put in place a temporary allowance for non AU/NZ helmets.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Its a ridiculous situation anyway.

Look at a helmet like the Met Stradivarious (sp?). At one time, you could get the S/M or M/L sizes and that was all. There was a larger size in the model range (that I needed) but because that size had not gone through Aus standards testing it couldn't be sold here. Think about that - the helmet passed testing in the UK and US and a smaller yet I dentical version passes testing in Australia, but the larger size doesn't just get given an Aus sticker.

Likewise, Giro helmets are a LOT cheaper in Europe but I have to bin mine and buy an Australian one even though its in the SAME model, the SAME size, and the SAME colour in order to ride legally here. Seems like there should be a good market in putting used Aus standards stickers on import helmets. (not that I would ever incite crime!)

We had the exact same problem with a child capsule for the car. The one that we brought back with us from the UK actually passed STRONGER testing standards in Europe but isn't legal to use here...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The below should answer your question and if in any doubt contact Cycling Australia.
http://www.cycling.org.au

Quoted from Technical Regulations
3.2 HELMETS
3.2.01 An approved helmet shall be worn at all times during competition, warming
up for an event or when riding on the road at a race meeting.
3.2.02 In all road & track cycling events with the exception of international UCI
events, the individual pursuit and track time trials, an Australian Standards
approved (AS/NZ 2063) helmet shall be worn.
3.2.03 A helmet must carry the relevant approval sticker confirming approval and
certification to AS/NZ 2063 before a cyclist is permitted to start in any cycling
event.

3.2.04 For UCI road calendar events, competitors shall wear an
approved AS/NZ 2063, ANSI, Snell or EN bicycle helmet.
International competitors may wear a helmet, other than the
above, provided the helmet is approved by the UCI, or the
federation that they are registered with. Any exception is subject
to the approval by local authorities.
(1/1/2010)
3.2.05 To obtain such approval (ref 3.5.04 above), the promoter must apply to conduct the event under an exemption permitting the wearing of non- Australian Standard helmets. Such an application must be made under the special events legislation of the respective State in which the event is being conducted.
The events for which such an application may be sought include, but may
not be limited to;
 UCI Road World Cups (Men and Women)
 One-day Road Races or multi-stage Tours which have been approved
for inclusion on the UCI calendar
 The Australian Open Road Championships or similar event, where
overseas or professionally contracted riders with a UCI registered
team are competing and the results contribute to UCI ranking points.
3.2.06 For the individual pursuit and track time trials approved helmets shall bear
either AS/NZ 2063, ANSI, Snell or EN bicycle helmet approval
3.2.07 Any modification to an approved helmet is strictly prohibited, including;
swapping or tampering with stickers; structural or aerodynamic modification.
Failure to comply with this regulation will result in the rider being withdrawn
from the event in addition to any other penalty that may be applied by the
race official.

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Cervelo used Cateye helmets in the ToC and in the TdU and they are not cleared in either country. I assume it will be fine

I'm guessing you mean catlike, but if not when did cateye start making helmets?

Had a few mates come back from OS after racing with team helmets and they all can't use the helmets for racing, some can't even use them in organised club training due to insurance issues, seems a bit silly if they're the same helmet that you can buy in Aus.
I know plenty of triathletes using aero helmets that are bought online from PBK etc cause they're so much cheaper, they don't seem to have any probs with the authorities, but then again i'm not sure if anyone is checking either, i must admit i've never had anyone check my helmet at a tri event.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
CA will turn a blind eye, it happens in other sports too like WRC rallying, local rules get exempted for the short duration of the event.

Not all of them - just ask Marcus Gronholm (sp?) about the ruling in Western Australia that a car on a public road must actually have 4 wheels. :D

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Trev_S said:
The below should answer your question and if in any doubt contact Cycling Australia.
http://www.cycling.org.au

Quoted from Technical Regulations

They must have the sticker if they want to do any training in Australia on Victorian Roads the Cops now fine you for not wearing a approved helmet $140 the Most Cops dont know if the helmet is aproved or not but they do know if the bike has a bell on it.

Maybe the bike shops will cash in. I know one guy who would steam the old sticker out of his old helmet and stick it in a new one he bought cheap on the internet.

TRENDING THREADS