• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

helmets on uphill TT's

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Why were the riders required to wear helmets on today's uphill TT to Plan de Corones? I thought there was a ruling that allowed riders to dump their helmets on road stages with under 10KM remaining, or in uphill TT's where they are riding solo. Has something changed in the past few years?

When you are going 10mp/h uphill in 70 degree weather by yourself I don't see the rationale behind wearing a helmet, unless its to protect yourself from the crazy tifosi.

May 13, 2010
Visit site
"The 2003 rules (after Kivilev's death) allowed for discarding the helmets during final climbs of at least 5 kilometres in length; subsequent revisions made helmet use mandatory at all times."

It was sometime after the Alpe D'Huez TT in 2004...

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you see Arroyo's mechanic running along with the spare bike, still wearing the old-fashioned not full face motorcycle helmet? Looked like the guy from the hovercraft in the Orb__z ad, shown about five times during a Giro stage.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Helmets have been mandatory for all parts of any race for the last 5-7 years, don't know the excact year.
No. Not according to UCI 1.3.031:
"Except where legal provisions determine otherwise, riders taking part in UCI ProTour events
may, at their own risk, refrain from wearing a helmet during individual time trial races taking
place entirely on a mountainous course. Every discussion regarding the qualification «entirely on
a mountainous course» will be decided by the commissaires’ panel."

But the again. According to the UCI Zipp 202 and the new Mavic wheel are illiegal. I love how they randomly enforce their often arbitrary rules :rolleyes:

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
«entirely on

Probably nobody asked, and the first kilos today might give rise to the justification: "not entirely on a mountainous course."

At least standard bikes and standard helmets today.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Magnus said:
No. Not according to UCI 1.3.031:
"Except where legal provisions determine otherwise, riders taking part in UCI ProTour events
may, at their own risk, refrain from wearing a helmet during individual time trial races taking
place entirely on a mountainous course. Every discussion regarding the qualification «entirely on

But the again. According to the UCI Zipp 202 and the new Mavic wheel are illiegal. I love how they randomly enforce their often arbitrary rules :rolleyes:
Didn't realize that! Thanks for the info.

TRENDING THREADS