• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Helmuts suck

No - not any more.

The rule was changed to hats on at all times. Partly I imagine because in some of the countries they race it's the law but also because (I think I read somewhere that) riders trying to off load helmets to team cars at the base of a final climb created a lot of unsafe faffing about.

180mmCrank said:
No - not any more.

The rule was changed to hats on at all times. Partly I imagine because in some of the countries they race it's the law but also because (I think I read somewhere that) riders trying to off load helmets to team cars at the base of a final climb created a lot of unsafe faffing about.

I am cynical enough to supsect that it might have more to do with lobbying by companies that sell $2 worth of styrofoam, plastic, and nylon for $150.

On end climbs the riders should be allowed to toss their helmets off the road just like they do with bottles.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Insurance requirements possibly?

I wouldn't put it past whatever company that is underwriting an event to have "blanket requirements"...

Perhaps it's just simpler for the people writing the paper to say "100% of the time" instead of trying to write clauses in for certain areas that non-helmet-use could be allowed.

It could be the trickle down effect as well? I know my UCI license for local/regional stuff I race here in Norway requires me to wear a helmet at all races. It could be that they don't want "negative impact" from the ProTour guys not wearing helmets...and then they get a Fred like me saying "well why can't I take off my helmet?"

This is all speculation of course...I have no idea what goes into insuring a professional cycling event.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
They may be going slightly slower but it's still possible for them to crash (a la Armstrong on Luz Ardidenne - I know I spelt that wrong), hit their head and die from the injuries on a mountaintop finish.

I was actually just admiring the catlike ones Cervelo wore in the TTT.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
In some countries it is compulsory for all except pro riders (Spain I think). recently one of the pro's got stopped without his helmet and was in a spot of trouble until he was able to produce his pro licence.

Heroes:

610x.jpg

Dorks:

contador_wideweb__470x358,0.jpg

The mushroom head is just not as romantic.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
It could be the trickle down effect as well? I know my UCI license for local/regional stuff I race here in Norway requires me to wear a helmet at all races. It could be that they don't want "negative impact" from the ProTour guys not wearing helmets...and then they get a Fred like me saying "well why can't I take off my helmet?"
This is it, in my opinion.
Add also the potential confusion for spectators of the only-exception-final-climb: "helmets are compulsory, but these last few kms they can be taken off, but no, yesterday they couldn't take them off as the final climb wasn't enough of a climb and tomorrow they can't take them off as the KOM is not at the finish line but one km earlier and the day after they can't take them off as it is in Belgium where they are compulsory regardless and..."

Nah, scrap that last part: there aren't long climbs in Belgium. :p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
How would you feel if one of your kids refused because some pro rider didn't wear one. Serious who cares what it looks like, it's just stupid not to wear it. Have you ever crashed and seen your helmet broken and then thought - that could have been my skull? You don't have to hit it at speed you just have to hit it.

I thought this topic was supposed to be about helmets these days being badly designed, not about whether people look better not wearing them? If so can we get back to topic, otherwise I'm (and a lot of other people) just going to think you're a bunch of morons not worth listening to - which would suck because some of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on other topics.

BroDeal said:
I am not talking about the--often small--increase in safety.

I'm guessing you mean small increase in safety in strictly a mountain finish setting?

I think it was just awkward and pretty hypocritical when the mountain top exception was in place. The only real reason for the exception was so that riders could look good on pictures and that to me is a very poor reason to have an exception to an otherwise very obvious rule.

ingsve said:
I'm guessing you mean small increase in safety in strictly a mountain finish setting?

I think it was just awkward and pretty hypocritical when the mountain top exception was in place. The only real reason for the exception was so that riders could look good on pictures and that to me is a very poor reason to have an exception to an otherwise very obvious rule.

I don't think it is hypocritical at all. It is a recognition that the safety benefits of helmets while climbing are almost non-existent while the safety benefits during a sprint finish are much much higher. Pros probably have a greater chance of being injured riding helmetless from their hotel to the race start than they do on a final climb.

Regardless of safety issues, I much prefer visuals from ten years ago than I do today.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
The only real reason for the exception was so that riders could look good on pictures and that to me is a very poor reason to have an exception to an otherwise very obvious rule.

Guess you have never ridden up a 20km mountain in 35degreesC

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am not talking about the--often small--increase in safety. I am talking about race pictures. They just do not look as good as they did ten years ago, especially in the mountains.

I don't think you ought to discriminate against those who got this name from their parents at a very young age....

There was a brief glorious period in the mid 90's when we had these little mini-tri-bars called Spinaci which were perfect for hanging your helmet on. Claudio Chiapucci was one that used to do this, and was imitated on club runs everywhere. The bars were banned for racing unfortunately so we all stopped using them. I thought for a while that someone would invent a clip-on system to quickly attach a helmet to the bars but of course the blanket helmet rule soon superseded that being possible. It's a shame. Helmets are next to useless at the best/worst of times, but even the fervent helmet evangelists must admit that accidents while riding uphill are incredibly rare and even then always slow enough to allow you to break your fall.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
helmets suck

BroDeal said:
I don't see a difference between the two pics in that regard.
LOL, good one! Your're forgetting the worst part- TT helmets. They were kind of cool looking before they had to conform to protection standards but now? Bloody hell! They all look like aliens in some bad 50's sci-fi.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
tashimi76 said:
I thought this topic was supposed to be about helmets these days being badly designed, not about whether people look better not wearing them? If so can we get back to topic, otherwise I'm (and a lot of other people) just going to think you're a bunch of morons not worth listening to - which would suck because some of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on other topics.

wow. angry much? as if there weren't enough threads taking the fun out of cycling, some people have a light hearted discussion (and quite probably tongue in cheek), and you start calling them a bunch of morons.

And if you looked at the start of the topic you will find that the original poster talked about them looking dorky in pictures. so maybe your safety rant was off topic?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:
There was a brief glorious period in the mid 90's when we had these little mini-tri-bars called Spinaci which were perfect for hanging your helmet on. Claudio Chiapucci was one that used to do this, and was imitated on club runs everywhere. The bars were banned for racing unfortunately so we all stopped using them. I thought for a while that someone would invent a clip-on system to quickly attach a helmet to the bars but of course the blanket helmet rule soon superseded that being possible. It's a shame. Helmets are next to useless at the best/worst of times, but even the fervent helmet evangelists must admit that accidents while riding uphill are incredibly rare and even then always slow enough to allow you to break your fall.

I'm pretty sure Andrei Kivilev died as a result of an uphill crash. As far as useless goes, I had a horrible crash 9yrs ago. I hit a guard rail head first at 55-60kms/hr. My training partner said my helmet hitting sounded like a shotgun blast. I had a severe concussion, cuts to the scalp, and had an ear pretty much ripped off. My helmet was in 3 big pieces. I don't need to be an MD to know what my head would have looked like without it. So, I don't think they're useless. Just not very romantic or stylish.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
marinoni said:
I'm pretty sure Andrei Kivilev died as a result of an uphill crash. As far as useless goes, I had a horrible crash 9yrs ago. I hit a guard rail head first at 55-60kms/hr. My training partner said my helmet hitting sounded like a shotgun blast. I had a severe concussion, cuts to the scalp, and had an ear pretty much ripped off. My helmet was in 3 big pieces. I don't need to be an MD to know what my head would have looked like without it. So, I don't think they're useless. Just not very romantic or stylish.

Yikes, yeah bro; I wear my damn helmet lol...

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:

I saw someone on a old cheapo bike the other day sporting a pair of Spinacci's. I yelled out SPINACCI! He just looked at me like I was a mental patient. Ah, memories.

TRENDING THREADS