• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Help - Creaking 2021 Giant TCR advanced

Sep 11, 2021
Visit site
I bought a few months ago a new TCR Advanced pro disc 1 and almost from the beginning I am having this awful creaking noise. It has less than 1k miles. Has been back to shop 4 times. Last time it stayed 6 weeks while I was on a trip. Everything that can be tightened or greased has been done, I assume. Can someone from noise tell what it could be? Does anyone else have similar issue? NOTE: After taking it to shop, its quiet for about 30 miles, and then slowly the noise comes back. Few ticks at first and then all the time like in the video below.

I bought a few months ago a new TCR Advanced pro disc 1 and almost from the beginning I am having this awful creaking noise. It has less than 1k miles. Has been back to shop 4 times. Last time it stayed 6 weeks while I was on a trip. Everything that can be tightened or greased has been done, I assume. Can someone from noise tell what it could be? Does anyone else have similar issue? NOTE: After taking it to shop, its quiet for about 30 miles, and then slowly the noise comes back. Few ticks at first and then all the time like in the video below.

Try different skewer/axles.
Remove the headset and put carbon past in the frame races.

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site

Hi there.
Did you ever solve this issue? My 2021 TCR makes the exact same noises. I have tweaked and touched almost everything I can think off to no effect. I have even changed out the BB to a WheelsMFG unit, which I think feels a lot better btw, but did not stop the noise.
About the only thing I have not done is pull the fork tube! Did you do that and did it help?
Thanks

Hi there.
Did you ever solve this issue? My 2021 TCR makes the exact same noises. I have tweaked and touched almost everything I can think off to no effect. I have even changed out the BB to a WheelsMFG unit, which I think feels a lot better btw, but did not stop the noise.
About the only thing I have not done is pull the fork tube! Did you do that and did it help?
Thanks
Did you pull the fork?

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Did you pull the fork?
Actually no, but I did fix the issue.
The clue is in the very noisy ratchet mechanism of the rear hub. I pulled that apart, cleaned the star ratchet mechanism then reassembled with a decent amount of a light grease. And now the bike runs way quieter from the backend, and the creaking is 100% gone!!
FWIW, it appeared the hub is under greased from the factory.

Reactions: jmdirt