• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Help For Ricco

Well, it’s pretty safe to say Ricco the cyclist’s cycling career is done. It’s also pretty safe to say Ricco the man needs help. In this thread, forget about Ricco the cyclist. This thread is only about Ricco the man.

He needs help from us in the forum, if that’s possible, to get back on his feet. I’m willing to give it a shot. Here’s part of the reason why. Someone (Ferminal I think) posted earlier this week he hoped Ricco did not get jail time because he feared where that might lead Ricco. I know Ricco’s situation is not the same as the following, but I just don’t want Ricco to go the way of Pantani or Jose Maria Jiminez.

Words are mightier than the sword. I realize many people have had negative things to say about Ricco this week, me included. The same people also have deep concern for Ricco the man. I’d like us to tap into that last part. I think to help Ricco out we need to send lots of good thoughts and vibes his way by posting something positive, something encouraging, or something to build him up.

You might say I’m crazy to launch a thread like this and you might say it’s pointless. I’m willing to take that risk. You never know who might be a member of this forum, who might read this and have it get back to Ricco that people care. It’s been said many times what this world needs is more love and here’s a chance to show some to someone in need.

So post away, and please keep it positive and on topic. No sarcasm please. And PLEASE REPEAT what others posters have already posted. There are only a handful of things that can be said, but Ricco does not need to hear all that many different things. He just needs to hear a few things many times, even if it’s just DITTO that post.

So I’ll start by saying Ricco, you are important in this life. And I, for one, care that you come out of this fine.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
there's help out there but first you have to admit the problem. i've been doing it a day at a time for almost 21 years.

erader

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Well its a known fact that EPO and whatever is in them blood bags will create serious kidney issues in the eaarly days of EPO use there was a number of riders who droped dead while racing.
So if this is another eye opener and a tough lesson so be it because its a steep learning curve. We all hope he recovers. But lets hope other riders take note also.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
oh boo ****ing hoo seriously go do work at a homeless shelter or something this is pathetic. defending a little arrogant sociopath **** talker who after his first bust his pregnant wife got caught what did he do leave her right away class act real man lol. yeah this guy cares much for his offspring/family rofl. you guys are mental children find another sport foo foo attitudes are unwelcome in real sport. ricco reaped what he sowed suicide always an option.

1) Vania was not pregnant when she got caught
2) Vania was exonerated after her B-sample was negative (though you can question that all you like)
3) Vania is not nor has she ever been married to Riccò. Though I believe she had her status as engaged recently.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Riccò, don't exaggerate old ones or invent new ones. Besides, it also considers that Vania Rossi is stupid enough to use EPO while pregnant, and if she was really that stupid then she wouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well, it’s pretty safe to say Ricco the cyclist’s cycling career is done. It’s also pretty safe to say Ricco the man needs help. In this thread, forget about Ricco the cyclist. This thread is only about Ricco the man.

Words are mightier than the sword. I realize many people have had negative things to say about Ricco this week, me included. The same people also have deep concern for Ricco the man. I’d like us to tap into that last part. I think to help Ricco out we need to send lots of good thoughts and vibes his way by posting something positive, something encouraging, or something to build him up.

You might say I’m crazy to launch a thread like this and you might say it’s pointless. I’m willing to take that risk. You never know who might be a member of this forum, who might read this and have it get back to Ricco that people care. It’s been said many times what this world needs is more love and here’s a chance to show some to someone in need.

So post away, and please keep it positive and on topic. No sarcasm please. And PLEASE REPEAT what others posters have already posted. There are only a handful of things that can be said, but Ricco does not need to hear all that many different things. He just needs to hear a few things many times, even if it’s just DITTO that post.

So I’ll start by saying Ricco, you are important in this life. And I, for one, care that you come out of this fine.

Fully agree!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
oh boo ****ing hoo seriously go do work at a homeless shelter or something this is pathetic. defending a little arrogant sociopath **** talker who after his first bust his pregnant wife got caught what did he do leave her right away class act real man lol. yeah this guy cares much for his offspring/family rofl. you guys are mental children find another sport foo foo attitudes are unwelcome in real sport. ricco reaped what he sowed suicide always an option.

It's refreshing to see such attitudes expressed. You are quite right that such "foo foo" attitudes are unwelcome in "real" sport which is why the US choses to play rugby while wearing mattresses.

I have read fortyfour's post as indicating a compassion and concern for a person who's career may be over aged 27 and who clearly is in a place where they have absolutely no real perspective on what, ultimately, is important in life - such an individual is quite clearly suffering a mental illness. Of course, villifying and humiliating such an individual to a point where "suicide [is] always an option" is always an option - but why stop there? Since such a person is such a "sociopath" that they are prepared to risk their life in search of fame and adoration and at the same time damage their relationships with their wives and children why not go the whole hog and utilise the death penalty - after all, clean up is so much easier and probably cheaper in tax dollar terms than after a sucide...they're messy, trust me....

btw should Lance be first up after Ricco?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I won't argue that saving a lost soul is a worthwhile endeavour but I am not going to march in this parade. He is the perfect candidate to serve up as an example of his folly.
Maybe a pizza delivery boy. He seems intelligent enough to do that. My apologies to pizza delivery persons.
There are those beyond salvation.

Master50 said:
I won't argue that saving a lost soul is a worthwhile endeavour but I am not going to march in this parade. He is the perfect candidate to serve up as an example of his folly.
Maybe a pizza delivery boy. He seems intelligent enough to do that. My apologies to pizza delivery persons.
There are those beyond salvation.

I understand your position. But while I agree RR has burned his second chance at cycling and will suffer the consequences, anyone deserves a second shot at life.

A

Anonymous

on3m@n@rmy said:

He needs help from us in the forum, if that’s possible, to get back on his feet. I’m willing to give it a shot. Here’s part of the reason why. Someone (Ferminal I think) posted earlier this week he hoped Ricco did not get jail time because he feared where that might lead Ricco. I know Ricco’s situation is not the same as the following, but I just don’t want Ricco to go the way of Pantani or Jose Maria Jiminez.

I actually think thats a damn good reason to send him to Jail. Maybe if Pantani had had 3 years of his life, away from his usual lifestyle, away from temptations, in a position to get clean, and get help with his problems maybe he would still be alive. Ricco can be sure of a lot more help in prison than hes going to get outside it.

If he doesnt, he will spend the next few years convinced he has a chance of coming back, or bumming around in amateur races under a fake licence.

I think a few years where his life is controlled for him would do him the world of good.

TeamSkyFans said:
I actually think thats a damn good reason to send him to Jail. Maybe if Pantani had had 3 years of his life, away from his usual lifestyle, away from temptations, in a position to get clean, and get help with his problems maybe he would still be alive. Ricco can be sure of a lot more help in prison than hes going to get outside it.

If he doesnt, he will spend the next few years convinced he has a chance of coming back, or bumming around in amateur races under a fake licence.

I think a few years where his life is controlled for him would do him the world of good.

I actually thought that and agree completely that might be best for him. And while he's there maybe he could get some counseling.

TRENDING THREADS