• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Help me find someone to root for at Le Tour

May 14, 2009
Visit site
So the big four:

Contador: Doping ban
Froome: Insists on being clean, but Leinders, magic leap
Nibali: Astana, US Postal 2.0, Vino, my god this guy is dirty
Quintana: Spanish team, teammates with Valv,Piti

Any thoughts on who might be the least dirty? Hope for an improbable run from Pinot? I'm trying to find a rooting interest beyond the theater of it all.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Quintana is the least dirty of the Big 4, but he's obviously a doper nonetheless.

If you are in the unfortunate position where you cannot root for dopers, you can either stop rooting for the really good guys in all sports or you can attempt to pick some rider that hasn't been caught yet and aggressively suspend disbelief. Over time, you may well delude yourself into thinking he is clean. Pinot is probably a good choice for such a project.

GoGarmin said:
So the big four:

Any thoughts on who might be the least dirty? Hope for an improbable run from Pinot? I'm trying to find a rooting interest beyond the theater of it all.

I think you'd better root for some stage hunters. I don't know, Brammeier has not been selected, I'd go for Nathan Haas, but he was praising Hesjedal during the Giro (I don't care, but it seems you looking for someone not touched by any doping related info)
Bauer and Navardauskas, but someone will tell you they race for Vaughters who dedicated his life to Antidoping, even though it does not seems so.
some Bretagne Sechè riders?

I mean. don't look for any GC rider to find a clean one.

Quintana the cleaner? he disappeared for months in Colombia to prepare for the Tour...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
what's the point? (honest question)
take the guy or team you find most sympathetic and cheer for them if you want to.
pointless to go look for a clean guy. Have you seen anybody trying to prove he's clean? Thought so.

personally i'm hoping for a good and fair froome-contador battle with a decision not before the end of the third week.

Root for contador as that would be the first time someone has come back from a ban to win the tour de France ( and perhaps any major blue ribbon event).

That in the long run is a hell.of a lot more likely to make the sport clean than the way it has been for the last 20 years, with every winner being "clean" and thus everyone congratulating themselves about how clean cycling is since the winner has never tested positive hooray

GoGarmin said:
So the big four:

How do you feel about cheering for the Lanterne Rouge?

Support the man who rides the race best. It wasn't hard to support Nibali in week 1 last year because of stage 2 and stage 5. Yes, he went a bit ET later on but you can get a lot of enjoyment stage by stage, eg like Lars Boom.

May be harder in weeks 2 and 3... Wanted Pinot to do well last year but you knew it was over by then.

TRENDING THREADS