• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Help me find someone to root for at Le Tour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
At least they tried. It wasn´t Gerdemanns fault that no one took his offer... Hardly can blame him.
well if they tried they didn't try hard enough.
alot of things they could have done but didn't do.
where are the links to their SRM data, blood values, etc.
if you're clean and dirty riders are stealing money and honor from you, my guess is you'd do (much) more to prove you're clean.
and you can still keep omerta while at it. no need to accuse anybody. Just concentrate on proving your own cleanliness.

Yes, those german lads have been more 'vocal' than others.
but for a good reason. the same reason Sky has been more vocal than others.
Two of the potentially biggest cycling markets need to be warmed up to cycling.
talking the talk.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
sniper said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
At least they tried. It wasn´t Gerdemanns fault that no one took his offer... Hardly can blame him.
sorry, i missed that. what was his offer?

24/7 surveillance... Nobody took the offer (to share the costs)... Bad news sell better than good ones.
wel if he's clean, and he might well be, i'd want him to do more to prove it.

Pinot. But like last year, I'll be watching for any data published and hope that I don't see anything suspicious from him. I'll root against Sky and their BS, against Oleg and his BS, so of the Big4, I'd rather Quintana or Nibali to do well. But France all the way, Pinot, then Bardet, Barguil...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
sniper said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
sorry, i missed that. what was his offer?

24/7 surveillance... Nobody took the offer (to share the costs)... Bad news sell better than good ones.
wel if he's clean, and he might well be, i'd want him to do more to prove it.

Like getting even worse results? ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Tonton said:
Pinot. But like last year, I'll be watching for any data published and hope that I don't see anything suspicious from him. I'll root against Sky and their BS, against Oleg and his BS, so of the Big4, I'd rather Quintana or Nibali to do well. But France all the way, Pinot, then Bardet, Barguil...

I think you could add Peraud. Now from my mouth that sounds ironically, but Peraud changed late to RR. No comparison to no-shows like LA, Rijs, Rominger who all of a sudden exploded at end of their 20s, or 50s like Horner...

Re:

buckle said:
Before last year someone French. They had been under political pressure for many years not to dope but last year they understandably cracked.
I hope you're wrong. If not, the I hope they get busted sooner rather than later...before I get attached :eek: . And I'll be the first one to shred them into pieces. Well, the I'll be second one actually: I bet Benotti69 will beat me to it ;) . Last year, I waited for the data to come back and what came up was realistic. I really hope I'm not wrong.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Tonton said:
buckle said:
Before last year someone French. They had been under political pressure for many years not to dope but last year they understandably cracked.
I hope you're wrong. If not, the I hope they get busted sooner rather than later...before I get attached :eek: . And I'll be the first one to shred them into pieces. Well, the I'll be second one actually: I bet Benotti69 will beat me to it ;) . Last year, I waited for the data to come back and what came up was realistic. I really hope I'm not wrong.

Always think Lino talks wise words from his grave... You & Alpe shall not change avatars. The best ones around here. Sorry for being off-topic for a minute. Blame it to german beer... :)

Tonton said:

I think you confused BS spouting ability with riding ability. Nibali might not be up there with Froome and Contador on climbing and tt ability, but together with Astana he sure as hell is right up there with them when it comes to spouting BS.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Tonton said:

I think you could add Peraud. Now from my mouth that sounds ironically, but Peraud changed late to RR. No comparison to no-shows like LA, Rijs, Rominger who all of a sudden exploded at end of their 20s, or 50s like Horner...

It really is a shame that Horner isn't riding the Tour. He'd show those 4 big guys how it's done. :D

The Hitch said:
Tonton said:

I think you confused BS spouting ability with riding ability. Nibali might not be up there with Froome and Contador on climbing and tt ability, but together with Astana he sure as hell is right up there with them when it comes to spouting BS.
I knew that talking about BS and forgetting Astana would get me in trouble :eek: . So in a sense, yes, riding ability is there in my cheering. Now for the BS part: even the casual cycling fan knows that Astana is a gang of shameless dopers. The Oakland Raiders of cycling. My dislike of Oleg and Sky makes me cheer for whomever can make them bite the dust. Had my Frenchies stood a real chance, I wouldn't have mentioned Nibble or Nairito. I don't want Pinot to win and climb l'Alpe d'Huez in 37'. I would be really pi$$ed, BTW, Movistar, they are not bad either when it comes to BS...all that matters to me is a sad Oleg and a sad Dave B in July. And Pinot in the top-5 :p .

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Tonton said:

It really is a shame that Horner isn't riding the Tour. He'd show those 4 big guys how it's done. :D

Nobody would talk about somebody called "Dawg", or who of the four ranks in which variation... it simply would be Horner by 6 mins, a la Armstrong, only 86 years older...

GoGarmin said:
So the big four:

Contador: Doping ban
Froome: Insists on being clean, but Leinders, magic leap
Nibali: Astana, US Postal 2.0, Vino, my god this guy is dirty
Quintana: Spanish team, teammates with Valv,Piti

Any thoughts on who might be the least dirty? Hope for an improbable run from Pinot? I'm trying to find a rooting interest beyond the theater of it all.

Just enjoy the freak show for what it is, a parade of doped up athletes who can still make for an entertaining race form time to time. This year, hopefully, nobody has a special formula that will propel them well ahead of the others like Froome a couple of years ago.

Tonton said:
The Hitch said:
Tonton said:

I knew that talking about BS and forgetting Astana would get me in trouble :eek: . So in a sense, yes, riding ability is there in my cheering. Now for the BS part: even the casual cycling fan knows that Astana is a gang of shameless dopers. The Oakland Raiders of cycling. My dislike of Oleg and Sky makes me cheer for whomever can make them bite the dust. Had my Frenchies stood a real chance, I wouldn't have mentioned Nibble or Nairito. I don't want Pinot to win and climb l'Alpe d'Huez in 37'. I would be really pi$$ed, BTW, Movistar, they are not bad either when it comes to BS...all that matters to me is a sad Oleg and a sad Dave B in July. And Pinot in the top-5 :p .
last year Nibali said some real crap about how it's a new era, how he is proof of clean cycling etc.

Re:

The Hitch said:
Root for contador as that would be the first time someone has come back from a ban to win the tour de France ( and perhaps any major blue ribbon event).
valverde - Liege?

Adam Hansen for a rouge stage win
likewise any other stage hunter from a break

as for the rest, it's kind of a preference against some riders. So if Froome doesn't win, then great. Same with Valverde...
If it's Contador v Quintana in the last few k's of stage, then I'd prefer Contador as I really just can't warm to Quintana - something about him irks me.
As for overall, I'm not too fussed as long as it isn't the farce that is Froome/Sky. I'd like Contador to do the double and put paid to all this "can't be done" nonsense, and perhaps then see more of the top guys attempting both Giro and Tour

Tonton said:
The Hitch said:
Tonton said:

nah, you would not be pissed. it would be a great win (not in 37 minutes obviously)
why hope Pinot is clean? he won the MTF in Romandie and Suisse. he'll fight with the best at the Tour
just enjoy without any question

Re: Re:

Archibald said:
The Hitch said:
Root for contador as that would be the first time someone has come back from a ban to win the tour de France ( and perhaps any major blue ribbon event).
valverde - Liege?

Adam Hansen for a rouge stage win
likewise any other stage hunter from a break

as for the rest, it's kind of a preference against some riders. So if Froome doesn't win, then great. Same with Valverde...
If it's Contador v Quintana in the last few k's of stage, then I'd prefer Contador as I really just can't warm to Quintana - something about him irks me.
As for overall, I'm not too fussed as long as it isn't the farce that is Froome/Sky and Nibali/Astana 2014. I'd like Contador to do the double and put paid to all this "can't be done" nonsense, and perhaps then see more of the top guys attempting both Giro and Tour

added a team and rider