• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Help please- Is my Frame Bent? listing?

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
so when i ride sitting up no hands (eating, etc.) it seems i'm listing to the right a bit what is the easiest way to make sure its not the frame? Thanks

When you turn your handlebars side to side do you feel a "notchy" spot somewhere close to center on the headset? A really worn headset can get a spot where the bearings just seem to want to rest at, which might be a little off center. Happened to me after years of neglecting my first el cheapo bike.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Could be any of a number of problems get bike shop to check it frame alignment is a pro job but also look for cracks check steerer tube is in line and make sure the wheels are in properly and in line.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
You can check the tracking with a piece of thin string and a ruler. Tie the string to one of rear drop-outs, run it round the headtube and back to the other drop-out, then measure the distance either side of the seat-tube, it should be equal. I've had the odd frame in the past where it wasn't and the bike rode badly. I got this from a book by Steve Snowling an experienced race mechanic.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
thorny59 said:
so when i ride sitting up no hands (eating, etc.) it seems i'm listing to the right a bit what is the easiest way to make sure its not the frame? Thanks

Easiest way? Have a go on your other bike;) (same setup at least for saddle height and setback and ideally same shoes & pedals) and see what happens. Alternatively, if you have a friend whose bike you can play with, dial in the setup just like yours, go for a ride, and see if you tilt the same way. I have the same issue regardless of which of my four road and MTBs I'm riding, and they can't all be bent the same way!

Most likely it's your position on the bike, e.g. dropping your left hip. I'm fairly certain my problems relate to a functional if not anatomical leg length discrepancy (I know my feet are different by 1cm, but without x-rays you can't accurately measure leg length).

I've done what I can with bike fits from a couple of the LBS's, but one of these days I'll bite the bullet and get a professional fit from someone who does shims etc. It's a case of finding the time, and justifying both time and expense when my riding is 100% recreational...

FWIW, I do think stretching helps my riding position in general, including symmetry, when I can be bothered to do it consistently for a period of time. Problem is I'm lazy and only remember to stretch when things aren't feeling right...:eek:

thorny59 said:

If by listing to the right you mean that you need to shift your weight to the left in order to go straight and you live in a country that drives (and rides) on the right, then this is normal. Roads are built with a crown at the center, in other words the middle is the highest part and the roadway slopes off to both sides, for drainage. Your bike is trying to make a banked turn out of the slope. If right is down then the bike turns right, to counteract that and continue in a straight line you have to lean a little left of center. Try riding across to the other side of the road (wait til nothing's coming) and see which way it wants to go then. If it goes the same way then it is misaligned, if it goes the other way then all systems are normal.

TRENDING THREADS