• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

help wanted - any Netherlands-based cyclists here?

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
At the end of June my hubby and I are aiming to ride from the Dutch Quarter of Colchester in Essex to Amsterdam via Leiden for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

I have joined vrienden op de fiets, booked overnight ferry crossings (I though a pedalo would be going too far) and have my overnight stops booked.

Anyone got any hints and tips? Will we be OK to take our bikes back from Amsterdam to Hook of Holland by train on a Sunday evening?

If you want to know more about our TCT related stuff, try here:
www.emilybeggfund.org.uk
www.justgiving.com/colubikeride4

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can take your bicycle with you in the train. Just buy an additional special ticket (6 euros) for the bike. It's not allowed in the peaks, but in the weekend it is no problem. Most of the trains have special compartments, you will see the signs on the train. Officially you need to take off the luggage, but if it is not crowdy, also that won't be a problem.

Having said this, why do you want to go back by train? Holland is beautiful enough to make an extra ride (back) ;)

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, very useful. In answer to your question Ronaldh: 1, I'm pathologically lazy. 2, I've never been to Amsterdam before and want to spend a couple of days exploring the city.

We'll be cycling through the dunes on the way there, anyway.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
kelvedon wonder said:
Thanks guys, very useful. In answer to your question Ronaldh: 1, I'm pathologically lazy. 2, I've never been to Amsterdam before and want to spend a couple of days exploring the city.

We'll be cycling through the dunes on the way there, anyway.

If exploring the city.
Two things, keep your good bikes in your hotel room if you go walking and make sure you got some GOOD locks

The second thing is, keep in mind that cycling traffic in the city can be quite insane if one comes there for the first time

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip - we're actually staying in someone's house in Jordaan under the vrienden op de fiets scheme, hopefully they will let us leave the bike in their garden or something.

As for the traffic, well, I imagine it will be part of the experience :eek: