• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Helping finding my first cycling shoes?

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Got my first bike this winter and have been out about a dozen times. I'm slowly picking up items to go with the bike. My most recent purchase was pedals. I had been using the free set the shop put on when I bought the bike. I am learning the sport because of a knee replacement, so I don't know when I'll have the twisting motion to unclip from clipless pedals, so I purchased some doubleshot 2's. That way I can get some new pedals and take my time. I am trying to learn cycling shoes and looking for some ideas. I want a recessed cleat, but I'm struggling a little with finding a shoe. I don't want a full on hiking shoe for mountain biking (as I'm mostly road riding on my gravel bike so far) but I do want some lugs (I like the vibram soles often). I also don't want a skate shoe, I want something that looks at least a little like a cycling shoe. Ventilation is also important. Some seem to be a solid upper that doesn't look like it would breath at all.

Thanks for any ideas.

I guess keep it under $200 since they are my first pair. :)