• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hemoglobin and Hematocrit Values After Saline Infusion

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The information below is from a study on the effects of a 500 ml saline infusion on hematocrit and hemoglobin values.

Mean hemoglobin concentration (Hb) and hematocrit (Ht) before infusion of 500 ml of saline and every hour thereafter. Ht2 is hematocrit
as measured with the conventional centrifuge method.

Before 1 hr 2 hrs 3 hrs 4 hrs 5 hrs 6 hrs 7 hrs

Hb (g/dl) 15.2± 0.9 14.5±1.0 14.4±0.8 14.6±1.0 14.3±1.1 14.38±1.1 14.6*±1.4 14.6±1.2

Ht (%) 45.6± 2.8 44.0±2.5 43.5±1.8 44.0±2.5 43.4±3.2 42.9±3.3 43.8*± 4.0 43.4±3.6

Ht2 (%) 45.8± 2.7 43.8±2.2 44.0±2.1 44.3±2.5 43.4±3.5 43.3±3.7 43.7±3.6 43.8±2.9

* p < 0.05 compared to pre-infusion value.
Others: p < 0.01 compared to pre-infusion value.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/publication...lues after saline infusion and tourniquet.pdf

The decrease is pretty small, isn't it? About 3-6% (not percentage points obviously...). Wouldn't you expect more than that from a pint of plasma? The effects remain for a decent amount of time though. Unfortunately they stopped testing after 7 hours, but I'm guessing you could infuse before going to bed and still have a reduced Ht if tested the next morning.

This human albimun stuff that Kohl mentioned and Petacchi may have used is most likely taken together with saline since it maintains oncotic pressure. I suppose it will either make the decrease in crit larger or longer lasting... or both.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
The information below is from a study on the effects of a 500 ml saline infusion on hematocrit and hemoglobin values.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/publication...lues after saline infusion and tourniquet.pdf

The decrease is pretty small, isn't it? About 3-6% (not percentage points obviously...). Wouldn't you expect more than that from a pint of plasma? The effects remain for a decent amount of time though. Unfortunately they stopped testing after 7 hours, but I'm guessing you could infuse before going to bed and still have a reduced Ht if tested the next morning.

This human albimun stuff that Kohl mentioned and Petacchi may have used is most likely taken together with saline since it maintains oncotic pressure. I suppose it will either make the decrease in crit larger or longer lasting... or both.

the blood values change 1 hour after you drink a glass of water . If you go to get a blood test early morning after fasting they cant get the blood out so you drink a glass of water and its OK if they do get blood out the Heamatocrit levels are high.
Much more to it than simple testing. difference in mine is from 44 to 48 after a glass of water.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
the blood values change 1 hour after you drink a glass of water . If you go to get a blood test early morning after fasting they cant get the blood out so you drink a glass of water and its OK if they do get blood out the Heamatocrit levels are high.
Much more to it than simple testing. difference in mine is from 44 to 48 after a glass of water.

What kind of water are you drinking?

TRENDING THREADS