• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Henderson's Stage 3 win a Kiwi first

Individual:
1980 Vuelta - Paul Jesson
2009 Vuelta - Greg Henderson

Team Time Trials:
2001 Tour - Chris Jenner (Credit Agricole, although technically Chris was racing under a French licence at the time)
2008 Giro - Julian Dean (Garmin).

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies

Great to have this info - I knew I should have researched more!

Still, a rare win for a Kiwi in a major race. Would love to see Julian Dean make it a double.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Well done Henderson. Always good to see our trans-Tasman friends do well. Cheers to more successes in the future.

Speaking of success in the future - should we get a jump on the hacks at the daily newspapers on each side of The Ditch and start the "discussion"now on whether the junior Henderson-Mactier (or Mactier-Henderson) is a Kiwi or an Aussie ... just in case she turns out to be a damn good cyclist too??? ;)

on our main tv news here in nz we got an amazing 20 seconds on gregs win,nothing unusual there,must have been a quiet day in rugbyland ie an all black didn't stub his tow and need indepth analysis!
What did make me *** my ears up was that according to tvnz Greg is going to Radiolance? yet i read here that a move to team sky is on the cards?

kiwirider said:
Speaking of success in the future - should we get a jump on the hacks at the daily newspapers on each side of The Ditch and start the "discussion"now on whether the junior Henderson-Mactier (or Mactier-Henderson) is a Kiwi or an Aussie ... just in case she turns out to be a damn good cyclist too??? ;)

Yeah... I think we should be calling dibs on her as a Kiwi right now with that pedigree!

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
fergnago said:
on our main tv news here in nz we got an amazing 20 seconds on gregs win,nothing unusual there,must have been a quiet day in rugbyland ie an all black didn't stub his tow and need indepth analysis!
What did make me *** my ears up was that according to tvnz Greg is going to Radiolance? yet i read here that a move to team sky is on the cards?

Hmm... I was thinking about that too. I've heard from more than one person in the NZ cyling world that Hendo was moving to the Shack, but then read on CN that he was going to Sky possibly..? Either of them would be a good team so I quess we'll find out soon!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Yeah... I think we should be calling dibs on her as a Kiwi right now with that pedigree!

I don't think it really matters - we Aussies have a habit of claiming any successful Kiwi as their own anyway!

The one true exception is Pavlova - that's true blue, fair dinkum 100% Australian!

elapid said:
I don't think it really matters - we Aussies have a habit of claiming any successful Kiwi as their own anyway!

The one true exception is Pavlova - that's true blue, fair dinkum 100% Australian!

Russell Crowe you can have but Pav being Aussie... that's true blue, fair dinkum 100% bulls**t!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Russell Crowe you can have but Pav being Aussie... that's true blue, fair dinkum 100% bulls**t!

:D Thought I might get that reaction. It definitely is a hotly debated topic. I found this interesting site in the web which goes into the history of the pavlova: http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/pavmay2.html. Basically, chefs from both Australia and New Zealand honoured the ballerina Pavlova with numerous dishes. There was a dessert made in New Zealand which more resembled a trifle than a pavlova and had different ingredients to what is generally used in meringues and current-day pavlovas. However, no defined recipe for pavlova existed until 1953 when the "modern pavlova" was made in West Australia.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Ha! West Australia of all places... us Kiwis live closer to "civilized" Australia than any West Australian!!

Amen to that. WA is a bloody long way away from the rest of the country!

TRENDING THREADS