Hepburn thrown off Tour de l'Avenir.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2011
186
0
0
Eventhough I dont think the gesture is that offensive, he simply should know that he places himself in a really bad spot, and he knows what the consequences were for Cav last year, so why do it?
 
YoRUsh said:
Eventhough I dont think the gesture is that offensive, he simply should know that he places himself in a really bad spot, and he knows what the consequences were for Cav last year, so why do it?
Most likely because he's a ******.
edit: oh for ****'s sake, ****** is censored? This is ****ing ridiculous.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Biggest load of **** I have ever heard. Does this really offend people?
If he weren't an Aussie you wouldn't give a ***! One's actions have consequences and even his team manager gave him the heave-ho so obviously they decided it was offensive. Think of the young kids that follow the sport. Should they be told that this is acceptable behaviour? Were they to simply to turn their heads they would silently be giving the message to everyone that they have no objections to it.
 
Susan Westemeyer said:
I will go bak and delete the entire off - topic section. Personally, I saw Damiano's original comment as a joke, but obviously not everyone did.

'ACF, you are receiving an official warning for your comment on me. Although what on earth the relationship between me and Mussolini should be is totally beyond me....

Susan
He's simply envious of your power. He's a moderator wannabe from way back.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Angliru said:
If he weren't an Aussie you wouldn't give a ***! One's actions have consequences and even his team manager gave him the heave-ho so obviously they decided it was offensive. Think of the young kids that follow the sport. Should they be told that this is acceptable behaviour? Were they to simply to turn their heads they would silently be giving the message to everyone that they have no objections to it.
Of course I wouldn't care if he was an Aussie. Any moron can see that it was a stupid thing to do. DO you really think that a kid would look at that and think it is acceptable behaviour? Blind Freddy and his dog could understand that is not acceptable behaviour.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Michael Hepburn (on twitter) said:
Time to head home to Italy to prepare for the Worlds TT.. been an enjoyable few days at the Tour de l'Avenir but I'm looking forward now....

...A personal gesture out of pure adrenaline which HAD NO MEANING whatsoever and no harm intended to anybody(!!) was taken out of context...

... I apologise to anyone who took offence and thank everyone for their messages of support in the last few days
BTW I like the title for the Cyclingnews article on the prologue:

Hepburn, Dennis set the standard at the Tour de l'Avenir

Quite a standard that was :p
 
May 27, 2010
868
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Of course I wouldn't care if he was an Aussie. Any moron can see that it was a stupid thing to do. DO you really think that a kid would look at that and think it is acceptable behaviour? Blind Freddy and his dog could understand that is not acceptable behaviour.
You seem to think it is.

You don't know much about kids do you? If they see an adult, especially someone they see as a rolemodel, they will emulate that behaviour because hey, an adult can do it why can't I?

For example, i've seen juniors salute at the end of a race and get fined because it's against the rules, why did they do it if they knew it was against the rules and it dangerous? Because their hero does so they think it's ok.

People in the public eye have to be careful about how they behave and I think Hepburn probably learnt a pretty important lesson about how to behave
 
Sep 27, 2009
1,008
0
0
theyoungest said:
BTW I like the title for the Cyclingnews article on the prologue:

Hepburn, Dennis set the standard at the Tour de l'Avenir

Quite a standard that was :p
Beautiful!
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
woodie said:
You seem to think it is.

You don't know much about kids do you? If they see an adult, especially someone they see as a rolemodel, they will emulate that behaviour because hey, an adult can do it why can't I?

For example, i've seen juniors salute at the end of a race and get fined because it's against the rules, why did they do it if they knew it was against the rules and it dangerous? Because their hero does so they think it's ok.

People in the public eye have to be careful about how they behave and I think Hepburn probably learnt a pretty important lesson about how to behave
Clearly I must of been different to most kids then. Sports People are not role models. They are entertainers just like musicians or actors are. I can admire things sports people do but but ultimately some of the things they say or do can be pretty darn stupid.

Saluting at the end of a race is morally fine. Doing the bird is not. Big difference. Kids know it is against the rules to salute but even though it is dangerous they will do it but doing such an act is not morally wrong.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Clearly I must of been different to most kids then. Sports People are not role models. They are entertainers just like musicians or actors are. I can admire things sports people do but but ultimately some of the things they say or do can be pretty darn stupid.

Saluting at the end of a race is morally fine. Doing the bird is not. Big difference. Kids know it is against the rules to salute but even though it is dangerous they will do it but doing such an act is not morally wrong.
So now you admit that it was wrong but before question if anyone finds it offensive? Are you straddling the fence or just lack integrity?
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Clearly I must of been different to most kids then. Sports People are not role models. They are entertainers just like musicians or actors are. I can admire things sports people do but but ultimately some of the things they say or do can be pretty darn stupid.

Saluting at the end of a race is morally fine. Doing the bird is not. Big difference. Kids know it is against the rules to salute but even though it is dangerous they will do it but doing such an act is not morally wrong.
Imagine you screw up a bit on some work at the office and the boss takes you aside for a chat. You accept that the mistake you made was sloppy and you move on.

The next day you complete the work successfully and everybody's pleased you made the deadline. So should you now go to your boss and give her the middle finger? :eek:

Clearly you have something in common with this guy to be taking his side on an indefensible thing that he's done, trying to lessen the gravity of it like the same rules don't apply to sportspeople. When you grow up and start paying taxes, ACF, go out there into the real world and see how far it gets you when you flip the bird every time you want to vent your frustration.
 
May 27, 2010
868
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Clearly I must of been different to most kids then. Sports People are not role models. They are entertainers just like musicians or actors are. I can admire things sports people do but but ultimately some of the things they say or do can be pretty darn stupid.

Saluting at the end of a race is morally fine. Doing the bird is not. Big difference. Kids know it is against the rules to salute but even though it is dangerous they will do it but doing such an act is not morally wrong.
You seriously think kids don't try to emulate sports people? I agree they are entertainters as opposed to role models but young kids see them as heroes and want to be like them, hence make them role models. Whether or not they are actual role models kids see them as such and so they must be careful in their behaviour.

I never said it was morally wrong, i said it was dangerous and against the rules, and was making the point that kids do it because the older riders, their heroes, do it. It was an example of how kids see and emulate things. Kids would've seen Cav do it last year and though "he got away with it, so I can to". I'm not saying all but some would have for sure.

My point is, Hepburn displayed a gesture people find offensive and if he wasn't pulled up on it and punished for it people, especially kids, would think, hey it must be ok for me to do it if the pro's are doing it (yes I know he isn't a pro yet but kids and the public are still watching him)
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Angliru said:
So now you admit that it was wrong but before question if anyone finds it offensive? Are you straddling the fence or just lack integrity?
i've always admitted it was stupid. I don't find it offensive. It ain't that hard to work out.:rolleyes:
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Thrown off the race? Come on. It was stupid but being thrown out the race is simply ridiculous. I also think taking the win off him is stupid.

At least we know we have got another **** like Mcewen in Australia :p

What reason did he have to do it?
you are a hypocritical muppet ACF

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tour-de-france/cadel-evans-tactics-rile-robbie-mcewen/story-fn8s9i81-1226095545335

On the rest day that year, Evans - who McEwen describes as "very high maintenance" - was wearing the leader's yellow jersey even though he had hurt himself in a crash.

It was agreed the team would sleep in and go for a shakedown ride at 11am, but Evans asked for an earlier start.

At the agreed time, 10.30, everybody was ready - except Evans.

As time ticked by, McEwen said: "Righto, this is officially bull----. You don't do this to eight guys who have been riding their a---s off for you."

Evans walked in at 11 with a cheery "Morning", McEwen says, after posing for a media photo.

The management were panicking because they were afraid there would be a scene in front of the press, but McEwen says he told them Evans needed to have more respect for his teammates.
high functioning autism or aspergers, surely. One's solipsism knows no bounds if that bombast aint a pleonasm or redundancy
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Zinoviev Letter said:
Hang on a second. Am I correct in thinking that this Hepburn kid won the prologue, won a mountain stage and finished second in a bunch sprint, all in the first four stages?
You're not correct about the bunch sprint, but the rest: pretty much, yes. Although Hepburn isn't such a great climber, so I don't know if we can really call it a mountain stage.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Reminds me of Judith Arnt at the Worlds when her girlfriend was not picked for the team. She gave a nice salute to the national team as she crossed the line

 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
He is an idiot for doing it tho. A young guy, looking to make his way into the sport and acting like an immature little boy, really sets the tone of what kinda attitude he has.
In the mean time all the ex dopers are allowed to race. But if you do a gesture then you're out!

Idiotic.
 
Zinoviev Letter said:
So what stage did he get demoted from second on? To be honest, this kid sounds like a bit of a beast.
He is, unfortunately he's also a little young for his age. Rumour has it Hepburn has been chased by Greenedge - wonder if that is the case now with Neil Stephens on the staff and all....
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS