• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Highest ranked French rider in the Tour GC

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DJ Sprtsch said:
And in the end it was Le Mevel, finishing 10th, in front of Casar, Goubert, Chavanel, Rolland, Feillu, Moreau. Pretty good outcome with 7 in the top 30.

In all the hype about Lance finishing on the podium at 38, the performance of Goubert has been completely overlooked, he is even older than Lance but finished Top 20. Ok, he didnt have 3 years away from the sport but then he was never a 7 time Tour winner either and he done a lot more work for his team at the Tour than Lance. Chapeau Goubert.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I would actually like to see a french rider actually challenge for a high overeall spot. What happened to Casar? he was talked up to be the next big thing in french cycling.

auscyclefan94 said:
I would actually like to see a french rider actually challenge for a high overeall spot. What happened to Casar? he was talked up to be the next big thing in french cycling.

I'd say that Casar is perhaps a victim of its team. FdJ has the two highest ranking french riders, but have you seen anyone else on this team doing something meaningful in this year's TdF? Maybe they did and I forgot it but their overall activity seemed to me non-inexistant compared to AG2R or BBox.

Also Casar often tries to go for the win stage (and was quite unlucky on the TdF doing so. 1 win and 7 second places...), which is "non-orthodox" if you have GC views.

And he is still not the french GC hope... yet?

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Vanderaerden's perm said:
Bernard Hinault's still the best bet. (Well, he seems to make the podium after every stage!)

Exactly. When will see any of them challenge for the tour win? Which one of them can time trial and climb well enough? Can voeckler do the job? The aggression and drive the Badger has is absent in those riders. It's such a shame we cannot talk of any of them to challenge for the win. The badger is right when he says they need a punch in their mouths. Those guys are not hungry enough. I miss the days of the Badger. Maybe he needs to take charge of a team. Real no nonsense guy.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jamfra67 said:
Exactly. When will see any of them challenge for the tour win? Which one of them can time trial and climb well enough? Can voeckler do the job? The aggression and drive the Badger has is absent in those riders. It's such a shame we cannot talk of any of them to challenge for the win. The badger is right when he says they need a punch in their mouths. Those guys are not hungry enough. I miss the days of the Badger. Maybe he needs to take charge of a team. Real no nonsense guy.

voeckler can't time trial or climb near enough to what you need to top 10 in the tour. Chavenel can climb and time trial better than him and chavanel can even top 10. i hope somebody like di gregorio or rolland can challenge for the tour though neither can really time trial. It would be fun to see the french get excited again.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Chavanel will be the most entertaining french rider at the very least.

Hivert is my pick for france's best also, however no french rider in the top 20.
Rolland might do well also.

Here are the reasons why they are not contendors worthy of being in the top 20

Bernard Hinault: there are champions who become like cicil servants when they turn pro. You have to put a knife to their throats to get any results. the french earn too much money and don't make enough effort. the french dont train. Nobody taps them in the mouth to get them going. It's necessary to block their salary and later hand them back the money if they win something

How about Julien el Fares as the top French rider in the future. He won the first stage and then held the leaders' jersey for a while. Seemed to be climbing with some of the top people in the hillier stages. Ended up the points winner. Didnt compete in the giro or tour - is he being aimed at the vuelta?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts