• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hincapie Granfondo...

Jean-Michel said:

His Livestrong event had 4500+ last weekend, but it is not really a grand fondo and most probably signed up before Armstrong's reputation cratered.

I wonder if Armstrong is still serious about setting up a series of endurance events. It might be hard to get partners for the substantial start-up money that would be required.

Nice relaxed smile from George at Granfondo

img_5593_cn_600.jpg

note that yellow wrist thingie

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Nice relaxed smile from George at Granfondo

img_5593_cn_600.jpg

note that yellow wrist thingie

I was at an expo this weekend and they were putting those yellow tape bands on people to show they had paid for entry. I hadn't seen that before and thought it was kind of odd.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
George has an ear to ear because there was no doping tent at the Fondo.
The promoter knows his audience, he got out the check book and paid start money for Cipo and the others.The clods at USAC probably scratching their heads as a new unsanctioned "race" events pop up all over the country. The math is probably also troubling, @60,000 members for them and the GF movement has those numbers with a 100th of the the number of events staged.

I listened to a guy the other day that was explaining to some other coffee drinkers that he was at the beginning of his new bike racing hobby, he talked about his first two "races", both Granfondo events.
GF is the perfect mix, the announcements do not push the "this is NOT a race" message like other MS150 rides and other bike events.
Fondo gets people who want something in between the USAC office park crit and the 100 mile mass ride w recumbents and the Bell V1 pro set.

The worst of this, Lance hinted that race promotion is on his horizon.

The USAC best effort at star power, that it had nothing to do with was Francesco Moser racing in NYC, seeing him in Prospect Park was surreal

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyone who paid for that ride needs to go through the clinics gauntlet so they can be shown how they are failing even to themselves not to mention society, Cipo included. Anyone considering going or planning for next time would be better served riding with the recumbents and Bell v1 pro groups.

fatandfast said:
George has an ear to ear because there was no doping tent at the Fondo.
The promoter knows his audience, he got out the check book and paid start money for Cipo and the others.The clods at USAC probably scratching their heads as a new unsanctioned "race" events pop up all over the country. The math is probably also troubling, @60,000 members for them and the GF movement has those numbers with a 100th of the the number of events staged.

I listened to a guy the other day that was explaining to some other coffee drinkers that he was at the beginning of his new bike racing hobby, he talked about his first two "races", both Granfondo events.
GF is the perfect mix, the announcements do not push the "this is NOT a race" message like other MS150 rides and other bike events.
Fondo gets people who want something in between the USAC office park crit and the 100 mile mass ride w recumbents and the Bell V1 pro set.

The worst of this, Lance hinted that race promotion is on his horizon.

The USAC best effort at star power, that it had nothing to do with was Francesco Moser racing in NYC, seeing him in Prospect Park was surreal

Well, the UCI has Gran Fondo's as part of its mission to promote cycling. So, if you want, you can go to USAC and get event insurance and so on from them for a Gran Fondo. It doesn't make much financial sense as a promoter, but the guy that did/does the one in NYC has USAC sanctioning. That's why there was a David Anthony positive.

There's plenty of money to be made at these events. The costs are predictable, the infrastructure is all rented anyway so going cashflow positive in 3 years is likely. That guy doing the NYC gran fondo is making a killing at this point. Wonderboy/Wiesel could make another pile of money. I won't spend my money like that, but plenty will.

Promoting a cycling event is not a fun job. People riding $10,000 in gear with another $5000 in gear at home complaining about $40 entry fees is not a great environment.

DirtyWorks said:
Well, the UCI has Gran Fondo's as part of its mission to promote cycling. So, if you want, you can go to USAC and get event insurance and so on from them for a Gran Fondo. It doesn't make much financial sense as a promoter, but the guy that did/does the one in NYC has USAC sanctioning. That's why there was a David Anthony positive.

There's plenty of money to be made at these events. The costs are predictable, the infrastructure is all rented anyway so going cashflow positive in 3 years is likely. That guy doing the NYC gran fondo is making a killing at this point. Wonderboy/Wiesel could make another pile of money. I won't spend my money like that, but plenty will.

There were two positives at the NYGF. I don't think USAC had anything to do with it. The promoter paid USADA to do testing, and it cost him something like $14K or $18K, I forget which. This included OOC testing. The promoter is very anti-dope. He posts on Slowtwitch.

BroDeal said:
There were two positives at the NYGF. I don't think USAC had anything to do with it. The promoter paid USADA to do testing, and it cost him something like $14K or $18K, I forget which. This included OOC testing. The promoter is very anti-dope. He posts on Slowtwitch.

Here's his 2011 USA Cycling permit. http://www.usacycling.org/events/index.php?event=1308&year=2011

The UCI's rules proxied through USAC: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USAC_rulebook-11.pdf

There's more docs over there. I don't know what the testing rules ACTUALLY are for a Gran Fondo, but it's up to the promoter to pay for it. For anything just above a pick-up race, USAC sanctioning is practically worthless.