• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hog questioned in Belgium

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Now the next step is to place JB and Landis in the same room both connected to lie detectors;which one would decline this meeting?

Do you remember the (TdF) day win he took from Indurain, after hanging on for dear life on his wheel? The peloton was unable to follow, and only Bruyneel was lucky enough to cling on just as Indurain went for it. It was obvious there was no way he was to take a turn in the lead without the pace dropping dramatically. So, Indurain just took the seconds, and lost the sprint. Without Bruyneel on his wheel, the only difference would have been the one stage and the prize money.
Makes me wonder. Was Bruyneel's program at the time not up to standards? Or did it come doing to being the generic pro racer sitting on the wheel of the contemporary Cancellara? Was it the last time Bruyneel believe in clean sports, barely able to keep another man's wheel on what was for him a strong day?

IMO there should be additional penalties (jail time) for lying in an investigation. For every seperate offence.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Orinda8 said:
Now the next step is to place JB and Landis in the same room both connected to lie detectors;which one would decline this meeting?

JB would just allege that Floyd was drunk again, and something about alcohol skewing the test result.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Actually, IF Johan denied everything as the article says, and IF the authorities have some sort of evidence of Johan's involvement in doping as Floyd claims, then hasn't he committed perjury and set himself up to be possibly prosecuted for that?

How do perjury laws in Europe/Belgium compare to the United States?

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
IMO there should be additional penalties (jail time) for lying in an investigation. For every seperate offence.

There is, just as Marion "Fort Worth" Jones.
It's called perjury (when in court).
Perhaps 'obstruction of justice' during an investigation?

But since this is taking place in Belgium, and we all know what a joke the Belgium legal system is...nothing will happen.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Actually, IF Johan denied everything as the article says, and IF the authorities have some sort of evidence of Johan's involvement in doping as Floyd claims, then hasn't he committed perjury and set himself up to be possibly prosecuted for that?

How do perjury laws in Europe/Belgium compare to the United States?

If it is like it is in the Netherlands, which is quite probable, you cannot commit perjury in an interview with the police, or in any investigation, not taking placee in the court.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
If it is like it is in the Netherlands, which is quite probable, you cannot commit perjury in an interview with the police, or in any investigation, not taking placee in the court.

Ah, thanks for that. Is there any charge for lying to the police? Obstruction of justice, or something like that?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:

The Belgian system works like everywhere else in the west. If you can't remember a few things from 10 years ago it's not looked at as a big deal. If the Wall Street Journal was a smoking gun there is not much smoke. A cool weave would be that Landis would have to testify in France and be jailed for his computer hacking antics. The thought of Floyd in a French jail has a smile on my face.Don't mess with the Johan

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Ah, thanks for that. Is there any charge for lying to the police? Obstruction of justice, or something like that?

In general not really at least as far as I know, but it really does not help your case, it's even worse than pleading the fifth in the US

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
In general not really at least as far as I know, but it really does not help your case, it's even worse than pleading the fifth in the US

Pleading the 5th is why 10's of 1000's of criminals/accused are walking freely in the US population. The police/courts have to prove the case against you. If they have zero, talking to them may lead them in a direction that was not thought of prior. In a 10 year old case every attorney would suggest saying nothing. I am not sure what tidbits Floyd has on Postal and it's members but his behavior both personal and professional have represented him as a complete flake. Johan and Lance have been convicted of zilch. Neither has lost any title due to drug use or purchase. Neither has been fired from their job because of any drug connection. Neither has been summoned by a French Court to stand trial for offenses committed. If Floyd is your foundation the whole thing is pretty shaky. Pleading the 5th is a right..if exercising that right does not make you guilty it makes you intelligent

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Orinda8 said:

"It is the machine's word versus ours. We like our word. We like where we stand and we like our credibility. I don’t think there is a lot of credibility on the other side so why would the Belgian authorities think any differently"

SSDD... Same Script, Different Day

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Pleading the 5th is why 10's of 1000's of criminals/accused are walking freely in the US population. The police/courts have to prove the case against you. If they have zero, talking to them may lead them in a direction that was not thought of prior. In a 10 year old case every attorney would suggest saying nothing. I am not sure what tidbits Floyd has on Postal and it's members but his behavior both personal and professional have represented him as a complete flake. Johan and Lance have been convicted of zilch. Neither has lost any title due to drug use or purchase. Neither has been fired from their job because of any drug connection. Neither has been summoned by a French Court to stand trial for offenses committed. If Floyd is your foundation the whole thing is pretty shaky. Pleading the 5th is a right..if exercising that right does not make you guilty it makes you intelligent
I mean that if it is proven that you have lied during the investigation you'll be completely discredited

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
If Floyd is your foundation the whole thing is pretty shaky.
Do you really think FDA, Novitzky, Interpol, WADA, and now all the national authorities would be getting involved if it was all based solely on Landis' word?

That it's already gone this far makes me think the foundation is a lot more solid than we are aware.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Belgian authorities going through the motions in case it gets bigger, then they'll maybe kind of do something at some stage.....

what did they do about the young cyclist found dead in bed, recently? Nothing! Why did his folks deny an autopsy? Doping!

spanky wanderlust said:
bruyneel denied everything? well, that settles it then.:rolleyes:

seriously. what is the point of even asking him?

and then, what is the point of writing an article about it?

It's a cornerstone of the charade being created to make it appear Landis' claims were taken seriously, and were found to be unsubstantiated. Those in the business believe all of their careers rest on this charade succeeding, so it will.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Do you remember the (TdF) day win he took from Indurain, after hanging on for dear life on his wheel? The peloton was unable to follow, and only Bruyneel was lucky enough to cling on just as Indurain went for it. It was obvious there was no way he was to take a turn in the lead without the pace dropping dramatically. So, Indurain just took the seconds, and lost the sprint. Without Bruyneel on his wheel, the only difference would have been the one stage and the prize money.
Makes me wonder. Was Bruyneel's program at the time not up to standards? Or did it come doing to being the generic pro racer sitting on the wheel of the contemporary Cancellara? Was it the last time Bruyneel believe in clean sports, barely able to keep another man's wheel on what was for him a strong day?

All things being equal the stronger rider was tormenting the weaker rider. Indications were that things were equal.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
One of my worst fears with this whole thing is that the corruption goes far deeper than most of us are aware of, hence hog denying everything to the Belge cycling Fed investigation and it will all blow over. If we assume that what Floyd has said is true, then that means that hog pharmstrong will lie until there is so much evidence against them that they cannot continue the charade any longer- then it will change to the victim stance and that everyone was doing it.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

But if you've never done anything, how would telling the truth incriminate you?:eek:

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Broken Spoke said:
"It is the machine's word versus ours. We like our word. We like where we stand and we like our credibility. I don’t think there is a lot of credibility on the other side so why would the Belgian authorities think any differently"

SSDD... Same Script, Different Day

The funny thing is that the issue isn't about who's believable, the issue is, who's telling the truth.

Another variation of, 'I've never tested positive.'

Hitchey said:
One of my worst fears with this whole thing is that the corruption goes far deeper than most of us are aware of, hence hog denying everything to the Belge cycling Fed investigation and it will all blow over. If we assume that what Floyd has said is true, then that means that hog pharmstrong will lie until there is so much evidence against them that they cannot continue the charade any longer- then it will change to the victim stance and that everyone was doing it.
I don't doubt that there is a lot of truth to that. Pevanage basically confirmed it, not to mention the parade of cyclists in the 00s who were caught by testing, and those that were caught by other means but never tested positive, like Ullrich.

Ninety5rpm said:
It's a cornerstone of the charade being created to make it appear Landis' claims were taken seriously, and were found to be unsubstantiated. Those in the business believe all of their careers rest on this charade succeeding, so it will.

I agree. Yet we still continue to post here at the world center of cycling.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Do you really think FDA, Novitzky, Interpol, WADA, and now all the national authorities would be getting involved if it was all based solely on Landis' word?

That it's already gone this far makes me think the foundation is a lot more solid than we are aware.

This is how modern life works. Anybody saying anything has to have an investigation. Once it is brought to the attention of anybody they have to follow through at a very high level. If Floyd makes a claim you are not allowed to dismiss him as crackpot. Children learn this in school..he touched me on the ****..true or not will cost 1000's..my boss touched me..it made me feel.dirty.He looked at me funny,ect. Costs 1000's at any company or institution. Don't need any witnesses,evidence. All you need is to put the ball in somebody else's court and if they hit it back to fast without an investigation..big foul. Nobody needs to be guilty that's how it works. Just the accusation is enough..yes guilt would be great but it's not needed. With Armstrong's profile Novitzky spending 50-100k and Interpol making sure that there were no Texas size loads of EPO being used and transported right under their noses is surely worth 50,000 euros worth of checking.Can't wait to see the hotel records from 1999,2000 or what the bus driver says about a nap stop 10 years ago..Floyd should have said Lance was funneling cash to the Taliban through a bike selling slush fund..maybe they could have saved a seat for him on the the spy flight to Moscow. Was Pantani in the SUV as they ran red lights and did piles of blow in Austin..just say it they have to follow up..Landis is probably smokin a blunt on a grassy knoll someplace right now

TRENDING THREADS