• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hollow victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess the fact that he out-climbed the sprinters and out-sprinted the climbers doesn't hold any value?

One of the worst OP I've seen on this forum ever. Hope this guy is on a wind up.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Agreed that this may be the most uneducated-sounding OP ever.

Sagan and his team employed smart tactics to optimize the physical advantage he has as a climber over his main rivals. It worked, and he won both the intermediate sprint and the stage. He and his team have a lot to be proud of and happy about. His sponsors are likely also very happy with the result.

To the OP. I suggest you read through the thread titled "Maybe a dumb question ... sorry". Some of the input in that discussion explains the team concept as it applies to cycling with being condescending or negative. A good read for anyone trying to understand the basic principles road racing.

Sounds like you're just a bit of bitter hater. A rider rides to his strengths. If his rivals can't climb with him should Sagan have waited for them to make it fair?:rolleyes: Did you even read the race report on the stage? Sagan has been recovering from his crash in the beginning of the Tour AND keep in mind that he's wearing the green jersey for a reason: He's the most consistent of those battling for that classification. Cavendish and Greipel aren't a couple of amateurs and finishing second to either of them isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sagan probably winning the green jersey is bad enough, I suspect if Cav somehow fails to win champs certain posters in the forum will go into full meltdown. Hope it happens.

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
GoodTimes said:
I guess the fact that he out-climbed the sprinters and out-sprinted the climbers doesn't hold any value?

One of the worst OP I've seen on this forum ever. Hope this guy is on a wind up.

No question that he AND HIS TEAM out climbed the rest of the sprinters. His team won the stage. They should have all crossed the finish together. I can remember when sportsmanship was dominate in the TdF, Armstrong waiting for Ulrich and vise versa. Lately we saw Contador win by taking advantage of
Shleck's chain mishap and now this climbing battle ending up as a sprint win. I totally agree that the tactics were truly clever. As a team sport they were the smartest and best team today. Let's put the victory where it belongs, on the TEAM.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
wyzowl said:
No question that he AND HIS TEAM out climbed the rest of the sprinters. His team won the stage. They should have all crossed the finish together. I can remember when sportsmanship was dominate in the TdF, Armstrong waiting for Ulrich and vise versa. Lately we saw Contador win by taking advantage of
Shleck's chain mishap and now this climbing battle ending up as a sprint win. I totally agree that the tactics were truly clever. As a team sport they were the smartest and best team today. Let's put the victory where it belongs, on the TEAM.

Sagan's win today was a result of bad sportsmanship?

And I thought your first post was ***.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
The other sprinters' teams were more than capable of keeping up... shame that Cav and co themselves couldnt hey ;)

Was nice to see the Peleton actually do something different for a change after last years' tour de every stage exactly the same

wyzowl said:

When Cavendish was getting preposterously good leadouts from HTC, don't tell me that his team didn't deserve credit for playing a large part in winning those stages.

You won't see Froome wait for Sagan tomorrow, why should Sagan wait for Cav.

Status
Not open for further replies.