• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hope Solo

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
She's a goalkeeper, so I'm not sure if there are a lot of avenues for her to make drug-related improvements.

If she got a bit lardy, fat loss drugs could help, I suppose. Maybe some muscle builders, but she wouldn't need much muscle for the job, so she'd have to be pretty lazy to not just go to the gym. (Unless she was injured and lost strength because she couldn't work out for a while.)

Or am I missing something?

JRTinMA said:
I just can't accept a goalie needs to dope, I just don't see any possible advantage. To this end, I accept her explanation and the facts she presented.
The one thing a goalkeeper can lack is endurance, but force, especially in the explosive form, is one of the determinants of performance.

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Sadly. The reality is.

In sports like football you don't get suspended etc, for mild cases like this.. besides shes an american celeb almost, I would not be suprised if she was allowed to drive someone down and still get away with it..

We just have to live with that fact, that alot of sports don't care or do anything about doping (or mistakes with medicine) like this one..

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
leftover pie said:
before i leap to any conclusions i will study the evidence. .

hope-solo-pictures-sexy.jpg

Lantern jaw. Obvious doper.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
slowspoke said:
I fail to see how cadence will help a goalkeeper. I would say she's probably the most tested female goalkeeper on the planet.

We've never heard that defense used before here in the Clinic, have we :rolleyes:

Us guys have also never heard a girl blame something on that time of the month either, so you can see why I was confused!

She is smokin though :D

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Doctors

From my triathlon days....the triathlon association suggested that we attend doctors familiar with the WADA list of prohibited/allowed pharma (Association asserted that to do otherwise risked disaster). At that time and subsequently I assumed that peak bodies for all sports, esp Olympic sports, would do likewise.

By so doing, such incidents...a la Hope, would be avoided.

Seems a fairly simple course of action.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
From my triathlon days....the triathlon association suggested that we attend doctors familiar with the WADA list of prohibited/allowed pharma (Association asserted that to do otherwise risked disaster). At that time and subsequently I assumed that peak bodies for all sports, esp Olympic sports, would do likewise.

By so doing, such incidents...a la Hope, would be avoided.

Seems a fairly simple course of action.

I was given a list of ALL medications I was allowed to take. If it wasn't on the list, I couldn't take it. Seemed to work for me.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
icebreaker said:
She should not have been there, she failed a test and got a sweetheart deal because the IOC and FIFA wanted the US soccer team in the final.

The olympics are all about TV ratings and they wanted that team there, complete. Same way the referee in the semi final game was "talked to". The US team was to be in the final, no matter what.

Anyone else, on any other team would have been banned.

That was a rip-off!

The Canadians totally got burnt!

icebreaker said:
The olympics are all about TV ratings and they wanted that team there, complete. Same way the referee in the semi final game was "talked to". The US team was to be in the final, no matter what.
"Make hay while the sun shines." This is the IOC we're talking about. They care about making money every four years putting on a dramatic show. The soccer federation knows they need to please the IOC and the U.S. team is a great source of eyeballs. So, she's in. End of story.

icebreaker said:
Anyone else, less easy on the eyes, not as critical to the drama, and/or on a lower tier would have been banned.

Fixed that for you.

As long as she's not *caught* selling cocaine on the corner, athletes that fit the combination of beauty and important dramatic story actor. Talk to a few referees if need be to keep the story on track. Ideally, they captured lots of American eyeballs, because that was always the goal.

The Olympic movement may disappoint you once you dig a little.

DirtyWorks said:
"Make hay while the sun shines." This is the IOC we're talking about. They care about making money every four years putting on a dramatic show. The soccer federation knows they need to please the IOC and the U.S. team is a great source of eyeballs. So, she's in. End of story.

Fixed that for you.

As long as she's not *caught* selling cocaine on the corner, athletes that fit the combination of beauty and important dramatic story actor. Talk to a few referees if need be to keep the story on track. Ideally, they captured lots of American eyeballs, because that was always the goal.

The Olympic movement may disappoint you once you dig a little.

Hope Solo's sanction was imposed by USADA. I'm unaware of any indication that USADA's decision-making was corruptly influenced by USOC.

You're just applying your normal jaundiced skepticism here, aren't you?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
She's a goalkeeper, so I'm not sure if there are a lot of avenues for her to make drug-related improvements.

If she got a bit lardy, fat loss drugs could help, I suppose. Maybe some muscle builders, but she wouldn't need much muscle for the job, so she'd have to be pretty lazy to not just go to the gym. (Unless she was injured and lost strength because she couldn't work out for a while.)

Or am I missing something?

Oh, ya, you're missing something.

Note, I currently count myself among the side that says excusing Solo is not unusual, nor incorrect from what we know. It might be a little preferential, if you looked at historical incidents of similar magnitude, but I think not much.

However, could Solo benefit from dopage? You betcha. It wouldn't be EPO, as you have realized, endurance is less important for a goalie. However, reaction time, and strength are hugely important for a goalie. Both can be enhanced via doping.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:

Note, I currently count myself among the side that says excusing Solo is not unusual, nor incorrect from what we know. It might be a little preferential, if you looked at historical incidents of similar magnitude, but I think not much.

However, could Solo benefit from dopage? You betcha. It wouldn't be EPO, as you have realized, endurance is less important for a goalie. However, reaction time, and strength are hugely important for a goalie. Both can be enhanced via doping.

Having watched her locally I doubt she has done anything of benefit; considering the position she plays. Aside from normal maturation she appears to be the same player she was in early college, just enjoying some serious marketing hype. Does that help avoid a sanction? You bet.

hiero2 said:

Correct. Another thing that would benefit a goalie is less weight. So a diuretic could actually have some positives for performance.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Is she quite b*tchy?

Not being a women's football fan I wouldn't know. The press had her at odds with the former National team coach and her college teammates were somewhat mute about her Olympic prospects. Goalies are ususally different than other team players from my limited time participating so it may follow. Can't deny she is attractive.

TRENDING THREADS