• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Horizon Fitness RT

In an effort to support womens' cycling, I thought I'd just mention Horizon Fitness RT. This is a fairly new womens' team in the UK and is seen as a development team for women riders, based on a young British core, many of whom came from the GB Academy programme. It's a good stepping stone for young women who can hopefully use it to progess to the womens' tour. They are also aligned with BikePure.

http://www.horizonfitnessrt.com/

For 2011, they've added a touch of experience in the form of German rider Hanka Kupfernagel, who will be looking to pass on her knowledge to the younger riders. You can read more about Hanka here:

http://www.crank.co.za/happy-friday-hanka-kupfernagel/5810

I hope you will show Horizon RT full support during the 2011 season.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Oooh I notice the name Jamie Burrow in the staff page. A bit leftfield?

But you're right, GB has far more GC talent in women's cycling so it seems a bit strange that it gets no attention or money.

I could harp on all day about the lack of attention given to women's cycling, and periodically do. This forum is not the most receptive place in the world for talking about it, though we do get the occasional bit of discussion. I bring it up in some more universal threads ("photos of the 2011 season" or "the next French GC hopeful" being a couple of examples), but the specific threads on the subject tend to degenerate either into offensive dismissals of women's cycling (see the "Bronzini is a man" stuff) or preaching, as if trying to shame people into supporting it (see the "Mara Abbott in pink!!!" thread), neither of which are particularly helpful.

I like discussing women's cycling, I just don't do it here much. And I wish Stef Wyman all the best with his team.

good to see. hope they have a successful season, they've got a good group of talented riders there and a nice mixture of youth and experience as well. Kupfernagel will be able to pass on a lot of knowledge and wisdom. also good to see Jamie Burrow getting involved. all good.