• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hour Record Rules Revisted/Revised

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Let's avoid the ridiculous speculation of one rider in a frigid velodrome, one riding on a velodrome with high winds, and one in a velodrome/sauna.

Contain the discussion to past attempts and future ones. Discuss wattage, VO2, training methods, pace, venue, and altitude. I will even discuss how far Fosterman can go in an hour with a 60 x 11 gear if we have to.

Here's what I'll be riding.

1hourbike.bmp

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Here is something to consider. I haven't studied this fully yet. But it shows about 1.8 km better for men and 1.5 for women. These altitude venues were outdoors. So, an indoor velodrome would yield a higher reward. As was stated before, there are gains from altitude and their are losses for the rider. Some don't perform well at altitude, or perhaps are not prepared for an attempt at altitude.

1chart.bmp

UncleChainwhip said:
Thx Al, for info and quick reply. Any benefit in rolling resistance with wet road? This sounds like an 'old wives tale".

Thx, Le Breton, for your comments. I respect your input/experience as I feel you are even older than I am. 56yr

You are right, looking back I now know for sure I was young when I was 56 :D

as it was the last year of my life in which I managed to reach/keep my optimal heart rate over 7 passes in the Dolomites during as many hours of racing :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Gustav Larsson set a distance of 50.016 kilometers in his World Hour Record attempt

When was this even annouced?
The article says he fell short. Fell short? It wasn't even close unless his first 20 minutes were at 53. I haven't seen his attempt schedule yet. I'm disappointed we didn't have notice here. But, as I would have predicted, he fell painfully short. It sounds like it was poorly planned. At least this effort might teach him where he needs to be in order to go 3 kilometers faster/further. Understanding his current wattage will help him see where it needs to be at to break the record. But still, Larsson? I wouldn't have expected that.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Alex Dowsett is hoping to make his attempt at the UCI Hour Record in late April after his initial plans were postponed by a training crash that resulted in a broken collarbone. He said his goal is 52.6 or 17.1 per lap. He's trying not to overpace. Sounds really tight. Could be fun to watch.

B_bdp0IUcAA9GNx.png

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Shame said:
................. I'm disappointed we didn't have notice here. ...................

It waas - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/larsson-tackling-world-hour-record-eight-months-after-third-spinal-fracture. I agree it was not prominently displayed.

After that notice I followed the attempt on twitter at the Revolution website.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
2larsson.bmp

Haven't seen any times at all. I heard he planned to start at 52.4 and then finish faster. He said he knew he didn't have it from the start. But, it seems hard to believe that he could have tested at 53, then ran only 50 on race day. Kudos for not bailing out at the halfway point. This is the second attempt that UCI said they would show but didn't. Although, this effort sounds like it was thrown together last minute.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
CAE2uR8UwAAaPr8.png

Finally, some validation to my comments. I found an article that said that Gustav was about a kilometer down at the half-way point. From his split times, it is obvious he was failing fast, maybe in the first ten minutes. A great workout none-the-less.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Recently read Rohan's effort was at 500m altitude. This was calculated as a .4 to .5 additional distance. So, his effort was calculated at 52 k at sea level.

These high levels are a feat. I read of a master's attempt, which finished just over 48 k. (National record, but possibly not UCI certified). 48 seems to be all of the masters from 30-59. (with one noticeable result excluded for obvious reasons- here unstated).

While I won't expand on my personal efforts in this thread, I did my first hour effort in several years (mainly because I'm more of a kilo and pursuit rider). I purposely geared high and kept my efforts 1 km below my current level. I simply worked on pacing and made it a training effort. Finished strong. Still very sore today. Thanks for the motivation everyone. #thehourishell

What specific training did they do in preparation? (even though I'm built for 1-3 K.)

It was different for each, but in terms of the most specific work - that involved many sessions of longer threshold level efforts at the track, practising race like conditions. Pacing practice etc. Aerodynamics refinement as well. Lot of time spent on that. There are many subtleties involved with improving performance of long track efforts and these vary by individual.

As for training in general, the conditioning work is no different than that to prepare an individual for a longer ITT. With individualisation built into their training of course. But lots of track prep is very important to maximise individual potential.

If Alex beats Rohan's record I think there
will be a fair amount of interest in how
fast Sir Brad rides the 10 mile TT on the
fast V718 course on May 16 because the
current British 10 record is also Alex's.

Rightly or wrongly, many (including me :) )
will try to make some extrapolation from
their respective 10 mile times to what Sir
Brad might achieve in his Hour.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
If Alex beats Rohan's record I think there
will be a fair amount of interest in how
fast Sir Brad rides the 10 mile TT on the
fast V718 course on May 16 because the
current British 10 record is also Alex's.

Rightly or wrongly, many (including me :) )
will try to make some extrapolation from
their respective 10 mile times to what Sir
Brad might achieve in his Hour.

brad will knock it out of the park, p'raps phinney might take a look at it in the future

Head to head ITT results for Dennis and Wiggins in 2014 include Tour of California and World Championships.

TOC 2014:
Stage 2
Monday, May 12 2014
20.1km Folsom (ITT)
1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Team Sky 23:18:27
2 Rohan Dennis (Aus) Garmin Sharp +0:00:44

UCI World Road Championships 2014
24 September 2014
Ponferrada Spain, 47.10km
1 United Kingdom Bradley Wiggins (GBR) 56' 25.52"
5 Australia Rohan Dennis (AUS) + 57.74"

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I notice Alex D is riding a converted time trial bike and not the aluminum track frame that Canyon produces. That means Wiggins will be the first hour attempt on a track bike. I saw Alex did a five hour ride the other day. I personally don't feel that kind of training helps, although it does refresh the mind.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Converted to track bike. A one-off is not the same. even though the main difference is just to make the rear narrow enough for a track hub. There are a lot of companies that do not have a top of the line track frame. They usually invest their money into triathlon and time trial frames. There are only a few big names in track cycling: Look, Felt, Cervelo, Pina.

It isn't that big of a deal to me.

I heard Ben King would love to go for the American record, as would Phinney.