• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How did Dirk Demol manage to win 1988 Paris-Roubaix?

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I watched this great doco by CBS on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsJK81rZ4E about the infamous 1988 Paris-Roubaix.

I was way too young to have watched live but this edition is still famous for having crowned an obscure domestique, survivor of the early morning breakaway. As a fan of that race and a historical fanatic, I'm still quite disappointed at what happened then, even though I can't take anything away from Demol, for he deserved his win, of course.

Apparently, the breakaway included the multi-talented young American Roy Knickman, about whom Guimard said he discovered the new LeMond when he contracted him and never really match those expectations. He entered the Aremberg Forest, first, increased the speed but eventually punctured and would never catch the lead group again. The bunch entered the Forest 5 minutes behind, which is - I think - not much.

What happened next? The leaders were staring at each other, but who? I could see Kelly chasing himself despite having a team mate in front, namely Thomas Wegmuller. Adri van der Poel did chase, I think. Who really sucked wheels? What about Fignon? He didn't talk about that race in his book (much to my disappointment) and constantly bragged that he was an aggressive rider. I guess many of you started watching cycling by that time, so I really wanna know what happened then.

By the way, Dirk Demol backed up his win in Roubaix with a win in the Flemish Ardenne Circuit (Omloop der Vlaamse Ardennen), which was a well-known semi-classic back then and has now become the Three Days of West-Flanders.

Thomas Wegmuller was a very powerful time-trialist, who really helped Demol as a derny. He finished 3rd at the Nation GP 1989 (behind Fignon and Mottet, all three using the tri-bars) and made the very same trick in the 1992 Tour of Flanders when he and Durand were morning escapists who survived the return of the top guns. The irony is that my youth idol - Edwig Van Hooydonck - who was fooled by this move, got his revenge a few weeks later at the Tour of Ireland, when he escaped with Thomas Wegmuller in a climb with some 20km to go, resisted the return of the bunch and since Wegmuller can sprint to save his life, Eddy Bosberg caught the stage win. Obviously he would have preferred a 3rd win at the Tour of Flanders.

Echoes said:
Hello,

A few weeks ago, I watched this great doco by CBS on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsJK81rZ4E about the infamous 1988 Paris-Roubaix.

I was way too young to have watched live but this edition is still famous for having crowned an obscure domestique, survivor of the early morning breakaway. As a fan of that race and a historical fanatic, I'm still quite disappointed at what happened then, even though I can't take anything away from Demol, for he deserved his win, of course.

Apparently, the breakaway included the multi-talented young American Roy Knickman, about whom Guimard said he discovered the new LeMond when he contracted him and never really match those expectations. He entered the Aremberg Forest, first, increased the speed but eventually punctured and would never catch the lead group again. The bunch entered the Forest 5 minutes behind, which is - I think - not much.

What happened next? The leaders were staring at each other, but who? I could see Kelly chasing himself despite having a team mate in front, namely Thomas Wegmuller. Adri van der Poel did chase, I think. Who really sucked wheels? What about Fignon? He didn't talk about that race in his book (much to my disappointment) and constantly bragged that he was an aggressive rider. I guess many of you started watching cycling by that time, so I really wanna know what happened then.

By the way, Dirk Demol backed up his win in Roubaix with a win in the Flemish Ardenne Circuit (Omloop der Vlaamse Ardennen), which was a well-known semi-classic back then and has now become the Three Days of West-Flanders.

Thomas Wegmuller was a very powerful time-trialist, who really helped Demol as a derny. He finished 3rd at the Nation GP 1989 (behind Fignon and Mottet, all three using the tri-bars) and made the very same trick in the 1992 Tour of Flanders when he and Durand were morning escapists who survived the return of the top guns. The irony is that my youth idol - Edwig Van Hooydonck - who was fooled by this move, got his revenge a few weeks later at the Tour of Ireland, when he escaped with Thomas Wegmuller in a climb with some 20km to go, resisted the return of the bunch and since Wegmuller can sprint to save his life, Eddy Bosberg caught the stage win. Obviously he would have preferred a 3rd win at the Tour of Flanders.

It happens sometimes(not often though) when the favourites just screw around and the race is decided by others. Milan-San Remo in 1990 was something similar but at least some decent riders got away in a big break that day. A big factor in Demols victory was the fact that Wegmuller couldnt change gear because of a plastic bag that got stuck in his derailleur. The Gods of fortune were really smiling on Demol that day.

Van Hooydonck was only a second year pro that year so I dont think there was much onus on him to do anything much, he was still relatively unheralded before his Ronde win in 89. I am confused about you stating Van Hooydonck won at the Tour of Ireland, I dont think that is correct, for a start Tour of Ireland was held in October back then and Van Hooydonck never won a stage so you must be confusing it with something else.

Descender said:
Why is it that every time a documentary is made about the Roubaix an obscure domestique ends up winning. :D

Marc Demeyer still has references, though. A handful of top10 spots in classics. Dirk Demol really has no other reference in classics. Nada !

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/palmares/demeyer_marc.php
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/palmares/demol_dirk.php

CBS made a report on Paris-Roubaix every year from 1984 to 1988.

pmcg76 said:
It happens sometimes(not often though) when the favourites just screw around and the race is decided by others. Milan-San Remo in 1990 was something similar but at least some decent riders got away in a big break that day. A big factor in Demols victory was the fact that Wegmuller couldnt change gear because of a plastic bag that got stuck in his derailleur. The Gods of fortune were really smiling on Demol that day.

Second-tier riders winning a classic can happen but then they would have been able to keep it up with the favourites for the most part and then capitalized on these favourites staring at each other. It's classic actually. But a morning breakaway holding through is really rare (I don't dare speak about Bugno's move from 1990, on this section).

Didn't Wegmuller eventually get rid of that plastic bag? Could he beat Demol in the sprint since he was not renowned as a sprinter?

pmcg76 said:
Van Hooydonck was only a second year pro that year so I dont think there was much onus on him to do anything much, he was still relatively unheralded before his Ronde win in 89. I am confused about you stating Van Hooydonck won at the Tour of Ireland, I dont think that is correct, for a start Tour of Ireland was held in October back then and Van Hooydonck never won a stage so you must be confusing it with something else.

Oh sorry, I was referring to the 1992 Tour of Flanders here, where Wegmuller again resisted the return of the favourites, the top favourite being Van Hooydonck and Durand won. Van Hooydonck won that stage at the Tour of Ireland in 1992, outsprinting Wegmuller: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling-van-hooydoncks-rise-1553672.html

TRENDING THREADS