• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How does Landa compare to the climbers in this tour?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Of course pure on speculation but he's the one that destroyed contador's legs for this tour and he was the best climber in the giro.

Where do you think he ranks up compared to quintana and froome? Was it just contador being meh in the giro or is Landa comparable to them?

I think the latter, if you see how the likes of aru who is a good climber, got outclassed by landa. Landa on the firenze reminded me of quintana on the alpe.

Can't wait for the vuelta.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Taxus assures us Quintana is better. Then Froome is better too.

We'll see, hopefully. If the great talent scouts Sky offered him a huge wage, continuation of his Giro climbing form is surely all but guaranteed.

As a climber, I believe he's the best on Astana, and will be 2nd to Froome in his new team. However, his TT ability is just shocking, and he'd need a GT like this year's TdF or 2012 Vuelta to win a GT unless he improves in that respect big time. Would say Nibali and possibly Aru are both better stage racers

We know that aru is definitely a world class climber and we know that he was probably at his best in this giro (he had problems on three mountain stages near the end of the giro but in both stages only AC and landa were clearly stronger.) but landa climbed by far better. So I think you can say that Landa would have been on or near the level of froome/nairo in this tdf with his giro shape. However I am not sure if he will get such a shape again. It happens that riders like him are extremely good in one gt but only okay in all the other ones they ride (cobo, horner,...)

He would've gotten 22nd.

But more seriously, circumstances are wayyyyy different and Landa has said he's at his best during the spring. Guess he would've been the 3rd or 4th best climber during the race, maybe the 2nd best on Alpe d'Huez. This is assuming he's equally as good as in the Giro and he doesn't have to work off for Lo Squalo.

Gigs_98 said:
We know that aru is definitely a world class climber and we know that he was probably at his best in this giro (he had problems on three mountain stages near the end of the giro but in both stages only AC and landa were clearly stronger.) but landa climbed by far better. So I think you can say that Landa would have been on or near the level of froome/nairo in this tdf with his giro shape. However I am not sure if he will get such a shape again. It happens that riders like him are extremely good in one gt but only okay in all the other ones they ride (cobo, horner,...)

No he wasn't. He was at his best only in the first week, then he got stomach issues again and only recovered ( but not fully ) for the last 3 mountain stages.
Landa is a great talent but I think he is overrated in this forum . He looked so strong because both Aru and Contador weren't at their best and the others were just a bunch of 2nd/3rd-tier climbers

But maybe I'm wrong and he's really the anti-Froome. I guess we'll never know now that is going to Sky :(

Hard to say. Last year he was crap, this year when his contract expires he suddenly drops everybody in Giro. On a side note Slongo said his numbers are close to Nibali's so I don't think he's at the big four 3 week stage race climbing quality. But he's going to Sky and they made Thomas a mountain goat so God knows what Landa will do next year.

He would have been the best Astana's rider in the mountains, close to Quintana and about like Froome, but no GC contender.
We'll see at the Vuelta, hopefully. There's a time trial long enough to put the pressure on him if he's free to ride for own ambitions.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Lol are you on crack or something all of you? :p he would probably top3 some stages or maybe going after win...no way he would be there with dawg and quintana when the serious business was going on.

Re:

ILovecycling said:
Lol are you on crack or something all of you? :p he would probably top3 some stages or maybe going after win...no way he would be there with dawg and quintana when the serious business was going on.
Anyone who can put two minutes into Contador has to be considered for a high quality material.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

sir fly said:
ILovecycling said:
Anyone who can put two minutes into Contador has to be considered for a high quality material.
yep same with kruiswijk and hesjedal ;)
no offence to them :)

ILovecycling said:
sir fly said:
ILovecycling said:
Landa is more reliable, I think. We'll see at the Vuelta.

ILovecycling said:
sir fly said:
ILovecycling said:
Hesjedal is known to be great in the last week of a gt. He was very good in the todays stage too and that although he has the giro in the legs. I think he was actually really strong in the last stages of the giro. Kruiswijk is really more strange but no matter how strong they were, I think that landa was clearly stronger than anyone although he finished behind them in sestriere.
Really hard to say where he had been in the tour but I still think he had done quite well. Maybe behind Froome/NQ but behind them there was a huge gap in terms of strength so he maybe could even have been near or on the podium.

Re:

sir fly said:
He would have been the best Astana's rider in the mountains, close to Quintana and about like Froome, but no GC contender.
We'll see at the Vuelta, hopefully. There's a time trial long enough to put the pressure on him if he's free to ride for own ambitions.
How is it possible that the second best climber of a gt with only a little bit more than 10 km's of ITT is not a gc contender :confused:

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Landa would have been closer to Froome than anyone was this Tour on stage 10. But he wouldn't have been as strong as Nairo has been on the last two days. Overall he would have been the third strongest climber in this Tour (he wouldn't have been third overall though).

Gigs_98 said:
sir fly said:
How is it possible that the second best climber of a gt with only a little bit more than 10 km's of ITT is not a gc contender :confused:
He'd have lost in the time trials, wind, cobbles, probably in a random stage, as well.
Similar destiny to Pinot, Bardet, Talansky, Yates'...

sir fly said:
Gigs_98 said:
sir fly said:
He'd have lost in the time trials, wind, cobbles, probably in a random stage, as well.
Similar destiny to Pinot, Bardet, Talansky, Yates'...
C'mon, thats pure speculation. There is no reason why it would be so likely that landa would have lost much time there. TTT and cross wind is mostly about the team, on the cobbles hardly anyone had problems and I really don't see a reason why he should have lost much time in a random stage.

TRENDING THREADS